Sign in to follow this  
cybrid

How did you first hear of ofp?

Yeah! I had absolutely the same experience as most of you. I read computergame-mags a lot. So actually I should have known about this game that later on would get the highest grade of all games of the year (except for a strange reason the editors chose CIVIII even though the readers voted in favour of OFP).

I went into a shop wanted to buy a new CD for the car. Then I saw a shelf and thought I am now gonna find a game with the highest system requirements to fit my new pentium 1.3. Since the screenshots were so great great great I couldnt resist. I have never played a game that kept me going for such a long time.

Summer 2000 for me too smile.gif

I was playing (way too much) Tactical Ops, but was also looking for a more serious game. I had been following the Coldwar forums for some already (pretty much the only forum back then), when I met some dude called Seventh who was about to launch a new OFP fansite (didnt even know he was the guy that worked on the OFP soundtrack back then). Together with DnA I joined him and started OFPN.

It was really cool to see the game grow over time. We got to know the guys at BIS really well, and after about 7 or 8 months we even got to meet em in person smile.gif

Lucky me got to play the game much sooner than most others, and I knew right away I was hooked for life biggrin.gif

Back when the US version of PC Gamer still had a section describing the demos on their disk, I saw the demo for OFP.  It said something about outdoor battles or something, and since I had 56k and no money, I usually played every demo I could get.  This was back in spring of 2001.

Back then my system only had an 8mb onboard video card and when playing the game, ground textures would not show up.  It was all white.  This did not deter me as I was convinced it was snow.  I loved the demo and played it numerous times.

Then in Math class me and my friends would talk about it and I learned that it was not snow, just my bad system.  So I went out and bought a video card.  Sadly, I still play with the same system I did over a year ago sad.gif

Then I remember being psyched about the game and going to the site numberous times and seeing these forums, so I signed up at work last summer (same job)  just a few days before its release in the US.  Ever since, Ive been on these forums and playing OFP (With a couple breaks for games such as Diablo 2, Dungeon Siege, and lots and lots of DoD breaks)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (residuum @ July 09 2002,15:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Back when the US version of PC Gamer still had a section describing the demos on their disk, I saw the demo for OFP.  It said something about outdoor battles or something, and since I had 56k and no money, I usually played every demo I could get.  This was back in spring of 2000.<span id='postcolor'>

You mean spring of 2001. smile.gif

I had just finished another year of teaching and marking all those undergraduate exams mad.gif Being totally brain-f*ed I decided I should chill out with a no-brainer computer game. So I bought Collin McRrae Rally 2. It was fun but I soon got bored and so took a look at the CM advertising CD that came with it. This had the OFP movie on it and it looked absolutely fantastic. I quickly searched the net, found the demo, downloaded it, played and then bought the complete game the next day (7 July). I haven't stopped playing it (much to my career's detriment confused.gif Thanks BIS but you have stifled the progress of science and the furtherence of mankind!

Alx

I saw a early preview on a magazine more than 2 years ago. I didn't buy the game until november 2001 though, because i didn't have time to play computer games (i worked and went to school at the same time). I bought the gold edition (Flashpoint + Red Hammer).

P.S.

I've just noticed... Who the f*** changed my member title to "pubic envenomation"!?? biggrin.gif

I found OFP in a banner ad on Fileplanet.com. It was about 6 or 7 months before the first OFP demo was released. I think it was late Jan or early Feb 2000.

After seeing the first screen shots, and the teeny video clips of the vehicles, I nearly went completely insane waiting for the demo to come out. Once I got a taste, the insanity got worse, while I patiently waited for the full version. smile.gif

Hey DeJavu!

(Waiting for OFP:R to be put on the shelves tomorrow) tounge.gif

i came across the OFP demo by accident last sping (2001) while surfing for new weapons mods for Rouge Spear at combatsim.com. I just got a cable modem, so I figured what the heck, I'm bored, let's see what this is..... Well, the rest is history. I played that demo more than I've played most games that I've bought.

I found out about OFP from www.isonews.com, whenever the EU version 1.0 came out.  

When the V1.2 came out in Canada I already knew it was a masterpiece and me + some friends bought the retail version.

smile.gif

Warez version? Bye bye bn880.

I had just upgraded my PC to a PentiumIII and thought it was time to buy a game that would maximize the new capabilities.

So...standing in Best Buy I saw OFP. It was $29.95, I had no idea how good it was. Saw no advertisments, no reviews, nothing. It was cheaper than the game I was holding in the other hand, so I figured I couldn't go wrong if it sucked.

A few weeks later I discovered this forum and others like it, and realized what a great buy the game was. I could create my own missions and make this game last forever. In my mind it was far superior to anything like Quake.

I remember reading a preview of the game in an English gaming magazine in probably 1999, lost track of the game, then in around January 2000 read an online preview at somewhere like Avault followed the game again, then the release date got messed about with them losing their original publisher, so I gave up on it for a while, then got back into it January 2001 smile.gif

It was probably PC Zone, Placebo. They did a '2 page spread' with a picture of a tractor and a Hind on it. After reading it I thought bollocks, it can't be that good. (I was sick to death of games that had been hyped to uber status). A couple of months later I found a movie on a Czech site. After that I continued to pester the local EB every week for a year or so until it came out.

The date it got released the manager called, and I quote.... 'Adam, your fucking game is here... Hmmm What game?.... *fumbles* That Flashpoint one.... Great!. Be right there'

Sadly Gamestation was selling it Å5 cheaper. I was EB's most hated customer for several months after that.

Yup it prolly was PC Zone, lucky that I saw it as when I got the net in 97 I only ever bought about 3 computer mags after that smile.gif

about a year before the demo was released, I just happened to do a websearch for "land warfare" and "game" and it came upon some chat in a forum. I went to the forum (either coldwar or suppressive fire) and read it straight through. I was so excited about a full combined arms game. As the screenshots and videos of units were released, I was getting more and more excited. On the forum, there was a group of regulars. I can barely remember them. I think Uziyaha and Sith was on there. Who was on that forum? smile.gif Anyway, I lurked on that forum for a long while until the demo came out. The demo blew my mind. I have been playing OFP ever since smile.gif