By B00tsy

Requirements:

Coop-06 & SP

ArmA 2, OA, BAF(light)

Island Chernarus

Any AI mod (recommended)

ACE - ACE_SM (recommended)

Mission details:

This is a stealth spec-ops mission where you have to rescuse UN hostages from the insurgent forces.

A UN chopper that was transporting a UN council member was shot down over the coast of Chernarus. Insurgents have captured both the pilot and the VIP. The UN has unofficially requested for help from the US Army. Of course the army has chosen your team to rescue them as you are the best elite Spec-Ops team there is!

We currently do not know the location of where they are being held hostage, but we do know the location of an outpost Insurgent base where we can gather intel about their current position.

Your first objective is to retieve a laptop from the Insurgent outpost that will reveal the hostage location. After the first objective you will be contacted by HQ for further orders.

Remember, your team is the best damn thing the army has to offer, we are counting on you.

God bless the United States of America!

Features:

- Multiple objectives with increased difficulty

- Rearm & transport point

- Video briefing intro

- Video GPS orders & mission updates

- Extra environment sounds

- BIS_first aid system (all units can heal team members)

- Team leader can spawn a MASH and a Bunker (if needed)

- NO RESPAWN! (Team stealth tactics needed)

- Insurgents have limited medic support

- Insurgents occupy buildings and are on the lookout on roofs and chimneys

Update 1.05:

- Added a new objective that includes an insertion from the sea with a RHIB with a chance of tank shells and shit flying at you (if youre not careful).

- Insurgents will now pop more smoke then before

- Added more decorations at objective locations

- More GPS video orders

- (hopefully) the AI will now stay inside the main builgings more or at least longer.

- Added garbage collector to clean up the mess at the ao's after some time.

- The playable units now show proper names in the lobby.

- Changed the 'no respawn' into 'Bird'. (it's possible that the video intro will mess up the respawn as bird)

- Some minor tweaks to triggers, etc.

*If you use it on a public server you might want to Unpbo the mission and disable the video intro in the init file (if respawn as BIRD does not work).

The first couple of dialogs have a few grammar errors I noticed, I may change that at a later time.

Hints/tips:

Tips:

Your best chance of survival and completing the mission is to stay silent and undetected at your approach to the objective area's as long as possible. Seting up good tactical positions before you start engaging increases your odds greatly.

Objective 1 has a hill close to the factory compound that is the most logical spot to engage them from. There are also tree logs on the bottom of the hill where you can take cover while you close in.

Objective 2 can be quite tricky. There to many AI in that area to quickly do an effective surprise assault. My suggestion would be to spread out your team and take in mixed positions. There is a factory building you can blimb on near the railroads, if you have one ore two guys on the roof sniping the first dozen out then eventually the AI will spot your their location. Place two guys behind the factory across the railroad to take out all the AI that starts to search near the factory. Place your last two guys on the hill behind the railroad to cover nr3 and nr4 and general sniping. This so far has been the most effective way to clear that location, but it's up to you :)

Objective 3 seems a bit more easy at first, the first targets are easy to take out. Getting all the way to the end of the dock is an other thing though. There are a few static defences and a searchlight on the otherside of the dock and a few dozen insurgents are either constantly moving behind cover or sneaky waiting for you behind a bush or in a building. Just when you think you cleared the dock you might get shot in the head out of nowhere by 1 last AI on his belly behind a bush, so watch out.

Objective 4 Is a bit similar to objective 2 as the objective is in the same type of building with similar surrounding. The AI is a tat more nasty here + that there are is an airbase nearby controlled by the insurgents, on that airbase is armor present and a lot of static defences. To get to the fourth objective you have to make a insertion from see in a RHIB.

You have to be really carefull to not get to close to the airfield and the bordering dock, you will get a shitload of bullets and shells flying at you if they spot you on land.

*If you find the AI not difficult enough then enable the 'superAI' option and/or use an AI-mod..

Feedback on the BIS forum or armaholic.com is appreciated. Depending on the feedback I may update and expand this new mission a couple of times.

Credits/Thanks to:

BIS forum community for all the scripting documentation and general help

Armaholic.com

Freesound.org

Bohemia for their amazing military stimulator.

latest

Download version 1.05

Armaholic mirror version 1.03:

- Silent Justice Co-06 (@) 1.03

Edited by B00tsy
updated mission

Hi Bootsy,

Glad to see you back in action.

Nice you made SP version as well!

Yeah saw the news that ArmA3 is being delayed till probably the end of the year, good excuse to make a new A2 mission :)

Cool, let me know if you survived. otherwise I make it easier :)

Download the update though (1.02) the first version had a glitch.

Edited by B00tsy

I have completed the first two objectives in SP and the difficulty is OK. Just have to sneak, aproach smartly, take cover, remain in the dark and use silenced weapons.

I like very much GPS updates and the whole mission, is a great stealth mission with very good atmosphere and well chosen locations. The only problem I had is that after visiting the hostages place, the GPS tell me that wait for update on mission objectives, and after waiting a reasonable time i have no update. I'm playing the mission with ACE, so I guess I have to restart without it.

Thank you very much and congratulations for this mission.

EDIT: I have seen in the first post you have fixed the issue. Gonna continue!!

nice mission, gonna try it after work (from 12 to 6PMCET)

i love stealth missions, made one myself (undercover panthera) loved them since the kskmissions, but i have one question is the mission dynamic or will it be the same everytime

nice mission, gonna try it after work (from 12 to 6PMCET)

i love stealth missions, made one myself (undercover panthera) loved them since the kskmissions, but i have one question is the mission dynamic or will it be the same everytime

Me too, hence why I made this mission :)

It is not dynamic as in no random spawns or random patrols, but after they are alerted they will be all over the place (as the AI always do) so in that sense it it never the same. The initial setup is though.

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 PM ----------

I have completed the first two objectives in SP and the difficulty is OK. Just have to sneak, aproach smartly, take cover, remain in the dark and use silenced weapons.

I like very much GPS updates and the whole mission, is a great stealth mission with very good atmosphere and well chosen locations. The only problem I had is that after visiting the hostages place, the GPS tell me that wait for update on mission objectives, and after waiting a reasonable time i have no update. I'm playing the mission with ACE, so I guess I have to restart without it.

Thank you very much and congratulations for this mission.

EDIT: I have seen in the first post you have fixed the issue. Gonna continue!!

I played it on expert level a few times with maxed AI skills and it may a be a tat to easy with silenced weapons now, I might spice it up a bit more.

Thought I do something different then the usual hint pop-ups and crossroad texts, it's a bit more work with video GPS, but more fun too :)

Fantastic mission mate!

Just got done playing this in SP, and was pretty good. I liked the objectives & task at hand, and also the GPS was a very nice touch. I did notice a few things though, which may just be me and how I play, or AI being AI, not 100% sure. So take this with a grain of salt.

- The enemy AI at times, seemed to have laser beam accuracy in pitch black dark. (Shooting lights out). Especially at the factory, fire one shot with a SD weapon, and they seem to automatically knew where I was. Got shot, died. I was prone as well. I also had Laser on. Yet, I didn't see any enemy that had NVG. So I restarted, tried again, this time let the friendly AI fire first, and yet he didnt get instantly spotted. Not quite sure what that was all about. This was on Normal as well. Sometimes they just seemed to spot me so far away, even with the time of day & darkness, with my best trying to be sneaky with friendly AI.

- Mission is great, but I can see its not very SP friendly. Relying on squad AI is asking for more trouble & mistakes. It also a pain to give them SD weapons at start via 6-Gear. I think If I had my buddy's and did CO-OP this would have gone much more smoothly.

- Sometimes the AI seems to get stuck near the docks (ARMA bug thats been around for ages). But trying to get my AI to get to the drone, seemed a real chore. They took their sweet time. Even with a road right there that they wouldn't have trouble on. Same goes for the extract area. Again, just AI being AI. Not a mission flaw.

- One thing that seemed out of place. Is the MASH idea/Bunker. Having to press backspace every time you walk near a item that has a action menu (like dead bodies, gates, etc) you constantly are pressing Backspace. I'd rather see a Medic role in the squad, than the MASH bunker. IMHO, it's not really needed, and looks out of place. I also got stuck in the bunker at one time by spawning two by mistake, and had to restart the mission to get unstuck.

- All in all, it's a great mission and a lot of fun. Just also very frustrating playing it in SP. I will have to play this again with some buddy's and try it again! Sure it be 10x better.

Hey thanks for the feedbak KilrBe3.

I basically experienced the same thing at the factory with the insurgent AI, they seem to pinpoint your position very fast after a few shots. Half of the AI there is inside the factory with a 'hold' waypoint, but they run outside to your position at the first sign of trouble. I will see if I can tweak that some more. That they know your location right away is not something I can't help I think, thats just the AI at work. That location has some good overwatch positions so it's a matter of positioning your AI team properly and time the assault to be swift and deadly. With the other objectives the AI do seem to know the general area where the firing is coming from, but not your exact position.

I personally have not much problems commanding and moving the AI team. The AI has their pathing flaws when they have to move a great distance on their own so it is best to move them short distances to prevent them getting stuck (you can switch between units btw). Especially going to the 3th objective (which is a 2km drive) it's best to move the AI hummer in a straight line as much as possible, move them upto where the road takes a sharp turn and when they are there set a new waypoint for them, that prevents the offroad sightseeing tour they tend to take. I will change the transport into a truck though so that you can transport all the units.

Yeah the mash/bunker spawn was a bad idea, it annoys me too lol. I will remove it and place 1 static mash somewhere between objectives. I will also add custom gear loadout to the units and remove their sidearms (to avoid the other known AI bug, unresponsive AI). Meanwhile to customize the gear of your AI team it's more easy and faster to switch to the unit and change gear yourself and also drop the other junk they are carrying (takes 2 minutes to setup your team).

I haven't played it as a coop yet cos I don't have a server to play it on, but no doubt it will be a lot more smooth with real players backing you up. I did notice that the mission is fully compatible with Ace so thats good :)

Also as a tip, set the AI difficulty to 'super AI', the AI seem to behave a bit better then.

Cheers mate! Will take those suggestions and try it again tonight! I was also switching between units to make things go smoother, and I didn't think of that for getting their gear at start (derp me). But that's how I got them to the 3rd objective easier was by Team Switching. Glad I didn't feel the odd ball out with the Mash/Bunker spawn idea too :) Will play this again tonight and try positioning the team a tad better @ Factory, see how the enemy AI reacts than! Also try and get my group together and do Co-Op this weekend. I really did love the GPS Idea, I may have to just dePBO that and see how you did it :) , first time I've ever seen something like that. Great work all around mate!

-Cheers

@KilrBe3:

The GPS orders is quite simple actually, it's a little video that plays in the GPS screen that you can spawn with the 'bis_fnc_customGPSvideo' command. You only have to make the video orders with a video editor, convert it to a .ogv file and and place it in the mission folder. I will try to release a new update later today with the mash spawn removed and a few other tweaks added, cos the mash spawn is pretty annoying now.

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 PM ----------

@PendragonUK:

Nice man, I see I bothered you too with the mash spawn, sorry about that :)

The place where you started has some ammo boxes with silenced weapons and TWS and NVG scopes, I'll see If I can add a custom loadout with the next update so that the team is ready to go from the start, with default gear your run into ammo problems quickly.

Allrighty, I've updated the mission and it should be a pretty smooth and a bit more challenging ride now.

I removed the not very well working MASH spawn action and decided to not place a MASH at the rearm point either to increase the challenge a bit. The AI is now also slightly more skilled + that a few of them are wearing NV goggles. You are still more or less safe in the dark, but if the one with goggles happens to spot you he will alert everyone. I also added a custom gear loadout to all units. Unfortunately there is not much choice in weaponry with the vanilla rifles, the MK17_SD_TWS is basically the only proper silenced night rifle so all team units have them now. I changed the transport to the 3th objective into a truck so that all units have a seat in one vehicle. The insurgents will now pop smoke when they are alerted, though with TWS that should not be a problem :) And last I also added some more props and sounds to increase the immersion a bit more.

Enjoy :)

Allrighty, I've updated the mission and it should be a pretty smooth and a bit more challenging ride now.

I removed the not very well working MASH spawn action and decided to not place a MASH at the rearm point either to increase the challenge a bit. The AI is now also slightly more skilled + that a few of them are wearing NV goggles. You are still more or less safe in the dark, but if the one with goggles happens to spot you he will alert everyone. I also added a custom gear loadout to all units. Unfortunately there is not much choice in weaponry with the vanilla rifles, the MK17_SD_TWS is basically the only proper silenced night rifle so all team units have them now. I changed the transport to the 3th objective into a truck so that all units have a seat in one vehicle. The insurgents will now pop smoke when they are alerted, though with TWS that should not be a problem :) And last I also added some more props and sounds to increase the immersion a bit more.

Enjoy :)

Awesome! Gonna give another run through today than! I'll edit this post when i do!

-cheers

Great stuff there! Congratulations!

Could you give me any tips how to spawn a video clip in the mission? This options seems pretty cool!

Glad you like it Lato!

The video function is well documented already on the BIKI and there are a few topics about it on this forum. There are 2 video functions you can use, one for GPS and one for cutscenes (fullscreen or not). For the cutscenes you spawn the video with this 'bis_fnc_playVideo' command and for GPS you spawn it with 'bis_fnc_customGPSvideo'.

_video = ["your_video.ogv"] spawn bis_fnc_playVideo;

waitUntil {scriptDone _video};

Played the mission tonight B00tsy on CiA coop night. Didn't go that far but fun mission nonetheless. May I suggest changing the "NONE" respawn with "BIRD"? the "NONE" don't let you spectate and just paints the screen red. in Bird you can see how your friends are progressing after you are dead.

Glad to hear you guys had fun Variable. Yeah it is not a huge mission, should be doable in 1 or 1.5 hours depending how realistically you play. When I have the time I might add a few more objectives. The best way to see how your team is progressing is by not dying of course, but I can change it in to BIRD with the next update :)

I B00tsy,

I cannot get your mission started.

I'm getting this error code when I try to start up the mission:

'bin\config/CFgWorlds.03).'

I'ts the strangest thing. Tried my usual Fab mods. Also tried no mods.

Not using ACE.

Also, using BAF lite. I don't have the full version.

Sorry to hear that mate, no idea why it wont work for you. I have no problems and by the looks of it other people can play it too. It is basically a vanilla mission, if you have OA and A2 you should be able to run it. I also ran it with ACE activated with no problems.

Nice mission we played it several Times ! Could be a little harder and more objectives !

Thanks mibu. The AI without NVG's can be quite easy (they don't open fire quickly at long range). Also I fitted the whole friendly team with TWS scopes which is a bit overkill, but it's the only suitable night (silenced) rifle in ARmA so not much choice there. In SP mode I play with superAI on expert mode and that can be tough at some moments. Perhaps you can enable superAI on the server or use an AI mod? A lot of the AI has max skills already so I can't make them tougher. If I will add more objectives I'll try to increase the difficulty some more.

Sorry to hear that mate, no idea why it wont work for you. I have no problems and by the looks of it other people can play it too. It is basically a vanilla mission, if you have OA and A2 you should be able to run it. I also ran it with ACE activated with no problems.

Hi B00tsy,

Well, I deleted OA and re-installed it, got it fully updated and run the game Arma 2 CO.

Tried to run the mission again with no mods and same error code pops up before mission launches.

Perhaps you and the other players are running the game with Full Version of BAF? Seems some sort of "world" map is missing or something that the BAF full version has and lite version doesn't.

Sti