Sign in to follow this  
Echo38

Any way to get rid of the "YOU NEED TO RELOAD" icon?

Is there any way to configure my game so that I never again see the reload icon which pops up when there are no more bullets in your weapon's magazine? Even on Expert, there is no way within the game options to remove it. Perhaps a value in a config file somewhere?

Edited by Echo38

Thanks for the link. Can you tell me a bit about this mod? Does it work with Arma 2 original, Operation Arrowhead, and Day Z? Or just one or two of those? Is it multiplayer-compatible with people who don't also use it?

Hello Echo38,

Based on the instructions its for Arma2, and should work with OA.

It might conflict with Dayz IDK as Dayz config may overwrite it.

So basically you need to try it with Dayz and see what happens, I dont play with Dayz so I have no idea if it would work or not,

I'd assume it would but Dayz from what i understand has its own hud elements.

Should work in MP but.. the way it works in MP is client, meaning if you have it in your target line like -nosplash -mod=@StoV_NoIcons then only you are running it.

If you join a server with it then only you will see or not see I should say what the addon is for. It is a gamplay addon so it should effect only your game no matter the server you join.

If your friends you play with wanted the same feature as you then they too would also need to be running the addon client side, so the files must be installed on their computer

and running with their game for them to see the effects or features if your will.

If you were to run a gameserver and had this addon on your server and in the server's command line then all joinign players would have that feature in their game.

understand?

Hope that helps clear some things up.

Is there any way to configure my game so that I never again see the reload icon which pops up when there are no more bullets in your weapon's magazine? Even on Expert, there is no way within the game options to remove it. Perhaps a value in a config file somewhere?

It's not an icon to remind you to reload, but one prompting you that the context option to reload is currently selected in your action menu.

Hope that helps clear some things up.

Yes, thanks. I'll have a look at the files and see if it's something simple enough that I can edit it myself into the Day Z files. I hope it is.

It's not an icon to remind you to reload, but one prompting you that the context option to reload is currently selected in your action menu.

The problem is that there shouldn't be an icon, or any other indicator, which gives you the information that your magazine is dry. On Expert difficulty, I expect "the most realistic military simulator ever made" (in the words of the developer) to mimic reality in--at the very least--basic firearm mechanics. It's disappointing that the chamber is not modelled, and though it's heartening that magazine capacity itself is modelled, there are several errors with the way it works. A notification that the magazine is empty, when I would have no way of knowing that fact in reality, is one of these errors. The primary function of the icon is irrelevant to this point, because another effect (intended or not) of its presence is to unrealistically give the player this information, with no option in the difficulty settings or even configuration files which could allow a serious player to be rid of the unwanted aid.

Edited by Echo38

You have mag and bullet counter. So whatever...

You have mag and bullet counter. So whatever...

Two problems is better than one problem? I don't quite follow your logic. o O

I'd love to be rid of the bullet counter, too, but I doubt there's any way to do that without also removing the fire selector switch state indicator. And without the selector switch indicator, there's no way (unlike in reality) to tell what your weapon's selector switch is set to. A big problem, not the least because the game unrealistically resets your selector switch every time you switch weapons, pull out your binoculars, get out of a vehicle, etc. (And also because the game unrealistically groups hand grenades and things like that in with the actual fire selector states.)

Edited by Echo38

But it does beg the question why you don't just play it on expert... Nothing really changes but the HUD.

But it does beg the question why you don't just play it on expert... Nothing really changes but the HUD.

Eh? As I indicated in my previous two posts, I do play on Expert. In fact, I've never once had my difficulty setting set to anything less than Expert, from Operation Flashpoint to Operation Arrowhead. The problem is this: even on Expert difficulty, there is no option to remove unrealistic HUD elements such as the bullet counter and reload notification.

To put it shortly, there is absolutely no way, without modding the game, to get rid of the arcade-style bullet counter and "YOU NEED TO RELOAD" icon, even on Expert. That's the problem. For a military sim game, that's kind of boggling.

(If I'm wrong and there is a way to disable them without installing a mod, then please do correct me--that was, after all, the original question of the O.P.)

Edited by Echo38

I do seem to remember seeing an option somewhere to turn off the empty-magazine notification. I'm not sure where, though. I'll go look for it and get back to you if I can find it.

Just looked through all the options and I'm not seeing it. I could have sworn I saw it somewhere, though....

Edited by 160thSOAR