Sign in to follow this  
AlexVestin

Proof of improved animations for mounted weapons? (AKA ArmA steeringwheel revolution)

I believe you're talking about this video that he released:

Watch this part of the video:

Only that is a HUGE improvement. It is possible to make it look a bit better than what BIS currently has, as proved.

If they would take the time to do these things themselfs, this visual aspect of the game would improve a lot. Minor other improvements too.

:) Edited by Laqueesha

I believe you're talking about this video that was released:

Watch this part of the video:

Only that is a HUGE improvement. It is possible to make it look a bit better than what BIS currently has, as proved.

If they would take the time to do these things themselfs, this visual aspect of the game would improve a lot. Minor other improvements too.

Bingo!! man, that was the thing; i'd miss that to be released for everyone to use on their addon choppers, it would look much much better than the game's anims, it could be possible to replace the door gunners anims with this ones, but im not sure on this... it could require to tweak every chopper model and not just replace the anim used when you step in as door gunner. Anyways... that's a proof that better anims are possible and better. Let's C ya

A simple animation replacement is not good enough, since all that's been done in the video is basically tilting the stiff animation around. If it were to be done correctly, it has to be done with inverse kinematic techniques.

It's the only way to have a simple animation bend and twist depending on the players/AIs input.

Having inverse kinematics work for mounted weapons too would mean that there's not really any kind of gun or weapon system that they can't get the correct animations for.

I hope we get to see some more videos or atleast a few more pictures in the near future that could clear this up. It's not impossible to judge from pictures, but a video would certainly be the best.

I could watch that gunner move all day! :)

I know how you feel =]

I'm sure there will be a rocket launcher weapon included. I'm really interested in what the possibilities and boundaries will be on such animations.

Or animations for portable grenade launcher weapons, were there are several grenade-shell-slots to be loaded even if you only shot two out of six.

As proven in the picture in the first post, there will be manned weapons too.

That makes me fantasize on how reloading a mounted .50cal actually will look like now.

Improving the animations could only be the first step in improving turret gunning. Maybe add the option to crouch down to protect yourself? It'd sure come in handy.

Improving the animations could only be the first step in improving turret gunning. Maybe add the option to crouch down to protect yourself? It'd sure come in handy.

Hell yeah!

unless engine used in BIS games, start using REAL, ie procedural, dynamic, animation of movements/actions, hardly it would b possible.

so engine update or change is mandatory 4 such request.

ie some HRM decisions, sadly.

unless engine used in BIS games, start using REAL, ie procedural, dynamic, animation of movements/actions, hardly it would b possible.

so engine update or change is mandatory 4 such request.

ie some HRM decisions, sadly.

But they are. They're actually starting to get the hang of animations as I see it.

No engine change is needed, since the basics of it all is supported in Take on Helicopters, and it's possible that they keep such features in the ArmA3 engine version.

Crouching would be a great addition. Would be neat if it worked as always with the same button as for changing stances :)

Even if it was as simple as raising the turret to face up..that works right? :D

Don't know if is that easy in ARMA as first person view = (almost) 3rd pesron view.

Even if it was as simple as raising the turret to face up..that works right? :D

I looked at that in third person view, and it only appeared to make the gun's barrel face up, the spade grips leaving the hands of the user and the user himself remaining fully exposed.

It wouldnt hurt to expect such functionality in newest instance though there is no assurance it will happen in the vanilla game.

I'm just here to confirm that hands on MGs is infact "alpha confirmed".

The characters hands follows and constantly stays on the MGs handles when you're aiming up/down, just like the steeringwheels.

You can check it out by spawning the bluefor boat seen in the first post.

Edited by AlexVestin