Sign in to follow this  
bates

SERIOUS crash issue - tried almost everything!

Okay, so I have been having this crash issue since I have built my new PC. To sum it up briefly, I can play for a random amount of time, before I get a random CTD, which appears to be for a random reason EVERY SINGLE TIME. Yes, I've tried verifying my files. Yes, I've tried setting the game to run as administrator, I've tried making the game folders have full read/write permissions for my operating system and user account, yes I've looked at the .RPT files and searched around to find the issue of my crashes, yes I've tried different memory allocators, I've tried toying around with the graphics settings, even setting them to minimum settings, I've checked my drivers were up to date, I've disabled the Steam overlay in-game, and yes, I've tried re-installing the ENTIRE 16 GB of the game. I've tried pretty much everything, and I'm BEGGING for a solution now. I've already posted on the Steam forums here and nobody has made any response. I will post the section of the .rpt that details my game crash below:

Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION at 009CF962
Allocator: d:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\dll\tbb4malloc_bi.dll
graphics:  D3D9, Device: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti  , Driver:nvd3dum.dll 8.17.13.142
resolution:  840x525x32
Addons:

*cut this bit out because it lists my addons, which is pretty pointless as I am running vanilla with no mods*

Distribution: 1491
Version 1.62.95248
Fault address:  009CF962 01:005CE962 d:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\ArmA2OA.exe
file:     Bunny_Hop_Brigade_Patrol_Ops_v1-2 (__CUR_MP)
world:    Takistan
Prev. code bytes: FD FF 8B 0D 64 D2 DB 00 8B 01 56 FF 50 0C 5E C3
Fault code bytes: 56 8B 74 24 08 57 8B F9 85 F6 79 11 68 18 8D D5

Registers:
EAX:00000001 EBX:018CF701
ECX:018CF65C EDX:00000001
ESI:018CF65C EDI:00000006
CS:EIP:0023:009CF962
SS:ESP:002B:018CF638  EBP:018CF684
DS:002B  ES:002B  FS:0053  GS:002B
Flags:00010202
=======================================================
note: Minidump has been generated into the file C:\Users\Bates\AppData\Local\ArmA 2 OA\ArmA2OA.mdmp

Crash occurred on my server, on my map, and before you ask have I tried other maps, yes. Singleplayer crashes, Armory crashes, I've tried tons of other maps and scenarios, and servers, which all crash with this same error. If necessary I can give the .mdmp as well, I know it is not a plain text file so I have no idea what to obtain from it. Sorry if I seem a bit harsh and annoyed, but really, I have tried every single thing I can think of. If anybody has ANY insight as to what could be causing this, I would be very grateful. It's very difficult to play when I have crashes ranging from every 5 minutes, to every few hours. Thank you very much.

Did you run 1.60 with your new build, if so did it run o.k ?

:)

Did you run 1.60 with your new build, if so did it run o.k ?

:)

I didn't get a chance to try 1.60 unfortunately. I would hope this isn't a problem with the new patch. My old system ran the latest patch okay, don't think that really means much at this stage however.

I was playing last night and I re-downloaded BattlEye. I thought it had fixed it, because I got to play for around 4 and a half hours..then it crashed again. Checked the .RPT and it was the same error I've been getting the entire time. :(

Okay, so I have been having this crash issue since I have built my new PC...

Run Memtest86+ , monitor CPU and GPU temperature when you in game, check the PSU is strong enough for that system, use sfc /scannow to check system files.

Run Memtest86+ , monitor CPU and GPU temperature when you in game, check the PSU is strong enough for that system, use sfc /scannow to check system files.

My temperatures are great in-game, and my PSU is a 750W 80+ Silver, it's more than enough. I ran Memtest with no errors and sfc is fine too, fresh Windows install..also this is the only game that this happens on, everything else is fine.

Could you go back i.e. re-install (I know, it’s a bum ache) but stop at 1.60 and see if its stable at that first, before patching through to 1.62****..or is that not an option, you see I don’t use or understand the ‘Steam’ process.

A few have said on here that they have had it CTD with the new patch

I have hard copies so its easy to move back if you have to for any reason, doesn’t take that long to re-install if I have to, thankfully have not had to do it with the new patch..

Could you go back i.e. re-install (I know, it’s a bum ache) but stop at 1.60 and see if its stable at that first, before patching through to 1.62****..or is that not an option, you see I don’t use or understand the ‘Steam’ process.

A few have said on here that they have had it CTD with the new patch

I have hard copies so its easy to move back if you have to for any reason, doesn’t take that long to re-install if I have to, thankfully have not had to do it with the new patch..

Unfortunately this isn't an option, as Steam automatically patches all game files to the latest version. However I am playing right now and my game did something weird this morning when I launched it. I couldn't catch what the Steam message said but it was something about the registry, and updating arma..things....I don't know. Something ArmA related, and something registry related, and ever since, I have had no crashing issues. It's only been a few hours so I'm still gonna test things..but I've never seen people with this crash issue (or at least never seen a specific solution that I haven't yet tried) so it could be something really simple or strange like this. I'll assume it isn't fixed for now, although things seem promising as I've been playing for a few hours.

I don't think reinstalling is necessary on Steam. Just try Properties > Local Files > Verify Integrity of Game Cache. That should patch up any corrupt files. It might help.

I don't think reinstalling is necessary on Steam. Just try Properties > Local Files > Verify Integrity of Game Cache. That should patch up any corrupt files. It might help.

Sadly I've already tried this multiple times. Also as I was saying in my previous post, whatever Steam did this morning hasn't fixed my game. I literally just crashed again. Same error. It's very erratic, it could be every 10 minutes or every hour or two, I'd just like it solved as it happens on every single match of ArmA I play. :( I've tried absolutely everything I can think of to no avail..and I can't find anybody else with the issue.

You use TS3 overlay?

You use TS3 overlay?

Nah, I do have Teamspeak running though, and always do when I play ArmA. Could this have any effect?

Edited by Bates
Typo!

Conflict between TS3 Overlay vs. MSI Afterburner OSD cause ArmA CTD for me after 5min. or 2 hours. So I put on blacklist msiafterburner.exe and rtss.exe in TS3 Overlay config_default.ini and disable detection for ICCompressorChoose_win32.exe and InstallHook.exe in MSI OSD.

I'm not using MSI Afterburner or TS3 Overlay, I disabled Steam In-Game overlay as well a few days ago just in case, this has had no effect. I just had the same crash again, it's always the same "Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION at..." in the RPT..and on my screen ArmA 2 completely locks up, and then when I alt tab it has the message from Windows that "ArmA 2 OA has stopped working". Really have no clue what the problem could be here.

My temperatures are great in-game,

Oh, one cent for each time i've heard this and it turned out to be a overheating problem...

Could you, please, provide some numbers to what you think is "great"? Did you do a stress test on CPU aswell as on GPU and monitored the temps? How about RAM temps? Did you checked the airflow to make sure all critical components get enough cool air?

Myke;2208547']Oh' date=' one cent for each time i've heard this and it turned out to be a overheating problem...

Could you, please, provide some numbers to what you think is "great"? Did you do a stress test on CPU aswell as on GPU and monitored the temps? How about RAM temps? Did you checked the airflow to make sure all critical components get enough cool air?[/quote']

On full load, my CPU sits at about 55-60C, GPU I think is about the same, perhaps a bit higher, I have no idea on RAM temperatures at all though, my motherboard sits at 30-40C most of the time. My case is well ventilated, I have a large case fan on the top, two in the hard drive bay, one at the back (Antec 900 v2 stock fans). GPU has an aftermarket cooler.. RAM has its own heatsinks. I don't think system temperatures are the issue, or if they are, I would look at RAM, as the crash seems to be related to a R/W error. I'm still leaning towards this not being a hardware issue, or if it is, something to do with drivers.

EDIT: I would also think parts overheating would have more of an effect on my overall system rather than just ArmA and only ArmA, but I don't have much experience in that :(

Can you post your dxdiag info?

Absolutely.

dxdiag1.png

dxdiag2c.png

..looking back at the dxdiag and remembering I'm using two displays, derp, do you guys think this could be an issue? I remember a friend told me to try only using one display, but I forgot to try it out. The crash looks unrelated but I suppose it might be worth a shot.

Save dxdiag like text file and post here and your ArmAOA.cfg.

..looking back at the dxdiag and remembering I'm using two displays, derp, do you guys think this could be an issue? I remember a friend told me to try only using one display, but I forgot to try it out. The crash looks unrelated but I suppose it might be worth a shot.

Disconnect that LG TV and use only that 17" tft but before you run game delete ArmAOA.cfg first. Update your sound card driver, C-Media USB Headphone Set, because now you use default M$ driver but maybe is better to unplug that USB headset and use onboard sound card...and install chipset driver, too :rolleyes:

tried disable HDMI-output ?[resolve similar/CTD issues with other heavyweight games]

playing with pull-mode of Vista/Win7 audio driver/subsystem ?[more responsive ones] ?

I've disabled all the HDMI Audio output things in Device Manager, if that's what you meant. A friend told me to do that and said it might solve my issue. I've tried the beta patch now, still crashing. Tried playing only on one monitor, still crashing. Tried playing without my headset, still no luck..I'm gonna grab my chipset driver and install that, and test out the game. The .RPT is still giving the exact same crash error.

No luck with that. Installed chipset drivers, unplugged usb headset, playing only with one monitor..crash came within 5 minutes. SAME thing in the .rpt. Still totally stuck as to what is causing this. I've tried closing all background applications and this is still happening. Any more suggestions..?