Sign in to follow this  
noone1

DayZ for CWA/OFP?

Anyone got the idea of making a mod for CWA/OFP that would resemble the Arma 2 mod DayZ yet? I personally think I'm not up to the task but I think it's a intersting idea and I thought I'd ask.

To what end? arma2/oa is far superior in technical and other aspects? I guess i'll never understand why people are still playing this old git :P

Well, before mods will close this thread...

I don't agree that ArmA is THAT far superior. It's biggest advantage (when talking about DayZ-like mod) is MP code, especially join in progress. OFP/CWA is so old that nobody will pay for maintaining server for this niche game. So MMO element is out - too few players. But then - everything is possible, many aspects introduced in DayZ (like health system) were present (at least at basic level) in total conversion mods like SLX, ECP ect. Even some kind of open, randomly generated missions is possible, see dynamic campaigns from DMA. So I'd say that DayZ-like mod, but in SINGLE-player, is possible. But personally, I'd rather play post-apocalyptic mod, not another zombie themed (OFP have dozens of them).

Then GTFO of this part of the forum if its so beneath your preferences :j: The game is fun to play.

STGN

To what end? arma2/oa is far superior in technical and other aspects? I guess i'll never understand why people are still playing this old git :P

Useful comment if any :icon_ohmygod:

No need to get angry over this DayZ mania...

:j:

Why did I either bother posting? FPDR

P.S. @ProfTouresnool: So I understand you also think OFP is an old git, since you agree on Sickboys comment? :)

Edited by Icarus

Then GTFO of this part of the forum if its so beneath your preferences :j: The game is fun to play.

STGN

So beneath my preference? A2's technical superiority and available improvements is what made DayZ / persistent gaming possible in the first place, so IMO it's a valid question.

Silly me for adding that I do not understand why people would want to play it in OFP, with A2/OA etc available, and much of OFP content being playable/available in some form, it's an honest question.

Apologies if I offended anyone, In no sense I meant it in an attacking way, why so defensive?

Edited by Sickboy

P.S. @ProfTouresnool: So I understand you also think OFP is an old git, since you agree on Sickboys comment? :)

That was sarcasm, of course.

So beneath my preference? A2's technical superiority and available improvements is what made DayZ / persistent gaming possible in the first place, so IMO it's a valid question.

Silly me for adding that I do not understand why people would want to play it in OFP, with A2/OA etc available, and much of OFP content being playable/available in some form, it's an honest question.

In no sense I meant it in an attacking way, why so defensive?

Why defensive? because you where offensive in your tone. First you say my hobby is an inferior hobby to yours...."technically". Then you make fun of me for having that hobby. The way you wrote it makes it an insult to anybody playing OFP. I am gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and say that you didn't mean it as an insult you where merely clumsy in your wording.

You could have phrased it differently like:

"I don't understand why you want DayZ mod in OFP, don't you have these X,Y,Z technical problems? OFP doesn't appeal to me anymore what is it that makes you guys still want to play it?" That would make it more a genuine question and not a insult in disguise.

STGN

Understood and agreed STGN, you can account it to clumsy and haste. I will try to be more diplomatic in the future.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

If you like to comment on the question, I am still interested in the answer.

Edited by Sickboy

Hey guys, stop it, let's get back to the topic (and I thought it's gonna be closed for being request, well...).

As I firstly noted: MMO style game with 24h server can be ruled out - no JIP, and nobody gonna fund us a server. Albeit, traffic would be very low. But, it is possible to make RPG-style campaign with full story and stats and equipment that is saved between missions, just look for Zeewolf or Faguss experiments. But I'm not sure if some scripts, simulating survival aspect of the mod, won't make trouble in MP. I can bet that such mod (even in SP) would be laggy too - some scripts seem to be "always on", like exhaustion system, or eating system. They need to "observe" player/NPCs condition all the time and decide if it's time to say bye bye or not ;) OFP engine limitations can cause problems here (memory managing).

Unfortunately my scripting knowledge is very limited so I'm not sure if I'm right, but it doesn't look hard to implement at least part of DayZ features into OFP mod.

Krzychuzokecia sums it up well here. We have been making a RPG-style campaign for singleplayer in style of sandbox zombie survival and it doesn't have any problems ATM. Drinking and eating systems work great and all that, but I think it's not worth of uploading here or anything; it isn't that spectacular.

And my two cents about the OFP defensing and why I still play it: OFP is fun to play because of the mighty fine working, straightforward gameplay mechanics, no surplus things and everything works just right supporting other elements and working strictly as a sturdy mechanism. And I guess over 10 years of playing the game has carved a special place in me, something that has just jointed and locked there forever which no other game has ever done for me. I just can't stop playing it.

Sorry, I had to :p,

Regards.

Addon requests belong in the addon request thread.

If you want to talk to the DayZ devs about a port, please use their official forums.

If you want to play zombie missions in OFP, check the user missions subforum, or sites like OFPEC.

If you wish to make a zombie mod yourself, be sure to make a thread title without a question mark in it, and call it something other than DayZ :)

Closing.