Sign in to follow this  
cadmium77

Abandoned Russian tank repair facility

Syria needs some.

True. Instead of old T-55/-62 and first versions of T-72.

Meh just sell them Russians... Perhaps they have enough money.

We have enough of own tank reserves. But I'd be happy if our army will use those T-64B instead of that old T-72A and T-72B1. Those T-64Bs with remote NSVT station could save many lives in Chechnya and Dagestan.

Or, you know, you could do something useful with all that steel for once.

Or, you know, you could do something useful with all that steel for once.

Hippie alert.

:icon_mrgreen:

Hippie alert.

:icon_mrgreen:

Nah, it's just that, due to globalization, conventional war is quickly becoming obsolete.

Sure, you can invade a country, but if that country engages in trade with you, you're just shooting yourself in the foot. That's why it's unlikely that we'll see a US vs China war for example, because in that event China would experience mass starvation while the US would have total shortages of basic commodities. In the end, both would be worse off. It just doesn't make any economic sense.

That's also why most of the wars (both real and hypothetical) of today are against countries/groups that don't engage in the global economy, like Taliban-run Afghanistan, Communist North Korea, etc.

This might change in the future due to resource depletion, but right now there isn't much to worry about.

So, yeah, commerce, man. Pass the blunt, brah.

Edited by RangerPL

Sure, you can invade a country, but if that country engages in trade with you, you're just shooting yourself in the foot. That's why it's unlikely that we'll see a US vs China war for example, because in that event China would experience mass starvation while the US would have total shortages of basic commodities. In the end, both would be worse off. It just doesn't make any economic sense.

That's also why most of the wars (both real and hypothetical) of today are against countries/groups that don't engage in the global economy, like Taliban-run Afghanistan, Communist North Korea, etc.

Many country's are also endebted (to one-another), I believe an old-fashioned war is an option for the future.

(Those tanks will always be worth at least their weight in steel, so they're capital goods.)

(Those tanks will always be worth at least their weight in steel, so they're capital goods.)

Please tell me how a tank is a capital good? I mean, the last time I checked tanks don't produce or help in the production of anything.

Not quite sure if they meet the definition of "capital" goods rather than consumer, but they can be melted down from scrap and be used to produce other items, so maybe they do, in a roundabout fashion?

Please tell me how a tank is a capital good? I mean, the last time I checked tanks don't produce or help in the production of anything.

Mistake from my side, in my language "capital goods" can be used to describe goods that are used to produce and goods that hold their value/increase.

(What's the english word for goods that don't loose their value?)

Mistake from my side, in my language "capital goods" can be used to describe goods that are used to produce and goods that hold their value/increase.

(What's the english word for goods that don't loose their value?)

Good question. Not sure if there is a word that would apply to this situation though. I know basically nothing about Economics, but according to the internet...

Non-rivalrous goods, as their name implies, don’t diminish in value the more they are used. A favorite example of a non-rivalrous good is the light from a lighthouse. It shines for everyone. No matter how much you look at it, I can see it too.
although like I mentioned I am not sure that would apply in this situation.

Beyond the worth in scrap, there is also value to be found in selling all those engines, either whole or parted out, as well as any useful bits on the vehicles themselves worth more intact. Then there's the possibility of private buyers wanting whole vehicles, museums, etc. They could make a lot more than the scrap value here pretty damn easily, if they figure out who has direct control over the facility and everything within.

Good question. Not sure if there is a word that would apply to this situation though. I know basically nothing about Economics, but according to the internet... although like I mentioned I am not sure that would apply in this situation.

Non rivalrous goods aren't the word we're looking for. (Public transport is a non rivalrous good)

It came to me that it should be an asset http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asset (Fixed Assets I gues)

Good question. Not sure if there is a word that would apply to this situation though. I know basically nothing about Economics, but according to the internet... although like I mentioned I am not sure that would apply in this situation.

Beyond the worth in scrap, there is also value to be found in selling all those engines, either whole or parted out, as well as any useful bits on the vehicles themselves worth more intact. Then there's the possibility of private buyers wanting whole vehicles, museums, etc. They could make a lot more than the scrap value here pretty damn easily, if they figure out who has direct control over the facility and everything within.

Yep, but what I mean is that they're just laying there and there no need to sell them now.

I think compared to what they've cost back in the time when they produced them as if it where shoes, they're not losing any money on them now compared to the value in scrap.

There is a private market for tanks, but even today Russian tanks are relativly easy to get hold on and I don't think you could sell them easily. (law of demand and supply; too much supply + transport costs)

No one wants to buy broken tanks ffs.

As Dekster said, "There is a private market for tanks". There is indeed. There are hundreds if not thousands of people that would love to buy a tank. Broken or not. Most of the serious collectors would fix them up.

As Dekster said, "There is a private market for tanks".

I heard it's booming around this time of year.

I heard it's booming around this time of year.

I don't know. But there are people that buy tanks...

Yep. There was a BTR-70 for sale in San Fransisco (i think) a while back, there were even two old (i think) challengers that had been converted to look like M1A1s for movies that you could buy. Also, when collectors/museums stop being interested there are always people like myself who want to create their own private army and recreate the show Jericho when the world ends this December. ^_^

You'd think they'd at least transfer em to a tank range for target practice, but wait can they even afford the ammo for the target practice? Course if they do have side panels (with exp) that might be a bad idea(nice fireworks display) but neat show.

You're kidding, right? :P The Soviets had so much ammo for everything stockpiled it's probably still cheaper for them to use live ammo while training. :D