Sign in to follow this  
instagoat

Pre 2000 Games you´re still fond of playing

I've got Freespace Open installed on this PC, so I play Freespace 2 and the associated mods (including the Freespace 1 remake) from time to time, and I recently re-played Deus Ex before I had a go at DX:HR on my XBox.

I also used to occasionally re-install Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator (CFS1) for some WW2 dogfights; before I found the IL2 disks that I'd lost.

Muzzle-Velocity <--- can't get it to play anymore but it was the first game that combined most of the elements I have come to love in OFP when it came out.

Oh, wow. The other Muzzle Velocity fan in the world. I actually managed to finally get it fired up using DOSBox a week or so ago!

It's an interesting game, a peculiar mix of Combat Mission or Achtung Panzer, ArmA, and Doom. I had some stirring battles with it, such as knocking out 20+ US Army Shermans with my last Jagdtiger, and some big rolling tank vs. tank gunfights over the voxel fields of France.

Truthfully, it hasn't aged well, although in fairness, it is ancient, and was better than the supposedly more hardcore 1944 Across the Rhine. I will probably not play it again after that recent trip down memory lane, but it certainly scratched my WW2 first person command itch back in the late 90's.

As for the other pre-2000 games that I play; I'm quite a retro gamer, so the list is quite big:

Reach for the Skies (Battle of Britain sim by Rowan)

Overlord (WW2 flight sim, prepping Normandy for invasion, by Rowan)

Navy Strike (Ultramodern flight sim and aircraft carrier ops by Rowan)

Great Naval Battles of the North Atlantic (Strategic game of the Battle of the Atlantic, with tactical battles)

Task Force 1942 (Strategic/Operational game of the naval struggle for Guadalcanal, with tactical battles)

Sword of the Samurai (Fairly free-form Samurai RPG/strategy game)

War in Russia (Operational/Strategic game of WW2's Eastern Front)

SEAL Team (First person tactical wargame simulating SEAL operations in Vietnam)

KA-50 Werewolf (Flight sim with strategic layer; modern helicopter-equipped mercs against Indonesian pirates)

I really like adventure games but I find myself compelled to cheat all of the time. The puzzles were not always logical, and often a mistake early in the game would make you unable to complete it. I wish I could say that I was the type of person that could really make a study of a game and keep going until I figure it out, but the proof is in the pudding :p

I really tried to get into Sealteam. It has so many neat features and stuff that you didn't see in a game for years, including many features that the arma community requested constantly. It has: Close air support provided by fixed wing and rotor wing aircraft of different kinds, with a mission interface for precision strike, loiter, CAS and other modes (IIRC); additional support provided by boats; insertion, pick up, and even emergency casevac functionality; booby traps; animal that respond to people around them, that flee or make sounds that can give away your position (or the enemy's); squad building; characters that grow in skill over time; a technology progression that affects the type of craft and weapons at your disposal throughout the war; different types of movement with different speed and stealth characteristics; different types of squad behaviour based on factors including squad formation; suppression; a medical model that affects unit effectiveness given their wounds, and bleed-out; hand signals; missions like ambush, sabotage, intelligence gathering, scouting, prisoner capturing, and patrol... on paper it sounds like the perfect wargame.

The problem is that the graphics and some other factors make it feel extremely vague. There is a huge problem with depth perception and resolution in that game. Enemies are hard to spot, and are way closer than they seem when you do see them. I've been pinned down and unable to act, leading me to call in air support that annihilates my whole team with splash damage on several occasions. Also, at least in the time I played it, the game doesn't have a huge number of entities running around, so if you call in support usually you're directing a rocket salvo at a single dude.

I think this is because, at the time, I was used to playing games like doom, and now I'm used to playing ArmA. In these games, most of the work is done in the 3d world. I think in Sealteam, most of the time you spend is supposed to be in the map interface.

I keep coming back to it, I'll play it once and then try again a few years later :p, but for anyone who can get past the graphics and can figure out how to effectively use all the assets at your disposal, I think this would be a really rewarding one to dump some time into.

Not too many:

Half Life 1(the grunts AI is still better than some of the current titles)

Aliens vs Predator 1

System Shock 2,this game has more rpg in it than 99,9% of the crap we get today.

Oh almost forgot about one of my favourite adventure games Blade Runner.

I was playing Heart of China recently. I read some reviews about it being racist. I didn't recall it being racist when I was a kid. Playing it today, it still doesn't seem racist to me- and don't get me wrong, I'm as morally outraged by racial discrimination as the next person. The biggest charicature in the whole game- if not the one dimensional supervillain character- is the main protagonist, who is a pilot and kind of a buffoon. The game doesn't seem to be very culturally aware, but I don't think ignorance is necessarily discrimination.