Sign in to follow this  
goldblaze

Controls improvment

Norsu I cannot say the current scheme doesn't need improvement ; the usual FPS commands cannot be ported so easily to Arma tho. Just for example, just mouse wheel for weapons would be a very bad thing as a simple wrong move with your mouse would 'block' you during swapping time, allowing you to be killed easier. This is talking with the current animation system.

This idea could be implemented if anim transition was fluid, and drawing the gun could be reverted.

I'd be all for a 1/2/3 key / (why not ?) mousewheel weapon selection, F for fire mode, and the gun memorizing the firemode of course :) but, of course, please no CoD "quickswap" MainGun/HandGun (it's no need to warn them as they are not about to implement it ! :))

With the current weight & fatigue system I'd go for a multiple primary weapon system, too...

we'll see !

Norsu I cannot say the current scheme doesn't need improvement ; the usual FPS commands cannot be ported so easily to Arma tho. Just for example, just mouse wheel for weapons would be a very bad thing as a simple wrong move with your mouse would 'block' you during swapping time, allowing you to be killed easier.

I play classic FPS games a lot and I rarely hit the mouse wheel by accident. Right now it's easier to mess up your weapon selection in A2 than in TF2 for example.

I'd be all for a 1/2/3 key / (why not ?) mousewheel weapon selection, F for fire mode, and the gun memorizing the firemode of course but, of course, please no CoD "quickswap" MainGun/HandGun (it's no need to warn them as they are not about to implement it ! )

With the current weight & fatigue system I'd go for a multiple primary weapon system, too...

I would divide weapons like so by default:

1 = Primary weapon slot, doesn't matter what you have in it à la Call of Pripyat

2 = Secondary weapon slot, doesn't matter what you have in it à la Call of Pripyat

3 = Sidearm slot. For pistols and PDWs

4 = Throwables and bombs like satchels. This can be multiple choices à la Half-Life since players can carry hand grenades, smoke grenades, satchels etc. simultaneously

5 = Special items like binoculars, night vision goggles, bakcpacks etc.

Of course hotkeys for very important items like night vision and binoculars would be available too.

I play classic FPS games a lot and I rarely hit the mouse wheel by accident. Right now it's easier to mess up your weapon selection in A2 than in TF2 for example.

I would divide weapons like so by default:

1 = Primary weapon slot, doesn't matter what you have in it à la Call of Pripyat

2 = Secondary weapon slot, doesn't matter what you have in it à la Call of Pripyat

3 = Sidearm slot. For pistols and PDWs

4 = Throwables and bombs like satchels. This can be multiple choices à la Half-Life since players can carry hand grenades, smoke grenades, satchels etc. simultaneously

5 = Special items like binoculars, night vision goggles, bakcpacks etc.

Of course hotkeys for very important items like night vision and binoculars would be available too.

would be better if throwables, as in grenades, were in slot 4, and special equipment, like satchels, mines, etc, were in slot 5. hotkeys for binoculars, night vision, etc. maybe another hotkey for backpack

would be better if throwables, as in grenades, were in slot 4, and special equipment, like satchels, mines, etc, were in slot 5. hotkeys for binoculars, night vision, etc. maybe another hotkey for backpack

This. B for binos, N for NV, G for Backpack\gear.

The whole command squad stuff should be collapsed\reworked to work with the 6-0 keys. That should be an improvment.

Changing ammo type could be done without the action menu and specific hotkey (too many mandatory hotkeys isn't a good thing). My suggestion for rapid ammo type change is to hold down reload key which would open a small prompt where you can see different ammo types available. Ammo types would be numbered and pressing the corresponding number would select desired ammo type. If player has only two different ammo types available for the selected weapon, holding down reload key would automatically change ammo type. This method could also be applied to vehicles.

I would like the micro second delay of movement removed or is that a keyboard issue. Press to run forward or strafe sideways and their is a tiny delay. Ever since OFP so i assume it's by design. No Need.

What about using a "wheel" for the action menu? Yes a lot of casual games use it but it's very hard to screw it up and it's easy to use. The only problem is that it's a little visually intrusive(tough I don't mind that, some people might).

This could be used for commands too, you press a button and then while you keep it pressed you have the option to either use the classic keys to navigate it or using the mouse and a click to select the option you want, this would free the number buttons for weapon change. Also there should be a way to rearrange the order of the menus, so you can set an order for every action possible, if the action isn't available then some other that is and comes next on the order you choose should take it's place. This would be great for orders(and IMO easier to implement) but only a little useful for the action menu.

Frankly, arma 2 controls aren't bad but only if you are already used to it.

I remember the first time I played OFP, I tought the game was horrible because the controls were unintuitive and the animations jerky but once I got used to it it was ok, but I can't shake the feeling that I might very well have given up on the game if it weren't for the possibilities to use various vehicles(I was kind of young lol) but still, it might help people get into the game, specially if they find a way to simplify the ccontrols without actually changing anything.

The main problem with the controls tough is that customizing the controls is a tough task, you have no idea what some things are for if you're a begginner and the only way that you could learn what it does is by finding out in the middle of a game that you assigned the wrong key to an action, some actions also look necessary when they are in fact redundant and there are so many controls that only work on specific situations that it makes trying each one of them in the middle of the game a task that needs LOTS of patience.

Mouse smooth ala Call of Duty can be done on you're own if you're desperate.

while elements of it do come off as weird

Not sure if you find them weird because of their rather draft quality or because you haven't seen them earlier in games (which I think is more of an advantage than disadvantage). Having better means now, the quality can be top notch.

I like the control scheme in general.

The only thing that I can see to improve is to remove the numpad keys from the control scheme, if this is possible. If it's not, that's fine. I'll just get by like I've done the past year. However, I'm lucky enough to have a mouse with two side-buttons to map functions like Toggle View to. I'm not sure what people without extra buttons have to do, but I'm sure it's not pretty.

I don't really like the use of the number keys for AI commands. I would prefer something combining commo rose and action menu, but that might be just me. I know I explained my system in a post I made a while back; I wonder if I can find it again.

imo for the complexity of Arma2 the controls are fine and good enough, you can use keys to navigate the command menu or also the mouse wheel and click.

and as 160thsoar says, I have a good mouse with 7 buttons to configure for the most used commands and actions, also a custom keyboard that have buttons everywhere for easy access