Sign in to follow this  
smokedog3para

tunnels and trenches

Hi all just to let you know that a long awaited feature that I always thought would be in game, but has not been done yet is tunnels and proper trenches not one's above ground level.

I have made 17 meter long trenches 1.2m deep below ground level and 1.5m deep by 1.5 wide, I will use sandbags and wooden boarding as retainer walls in them there in game and working just going to polish them off .

They are tiles so can be placed in depressions in the ground to match ground level giving you the drop to fit into the trench making you lower than ground level.

Afghan irragation ditches, my dream of sangin was to have meter wide ditches to drop in under contact as they are over there, but with the grid size i had it didn't go to plan so now I can have the tight ditches along the fields and have places to take cover.

Tunnel's i have a 50 meter tunnel to link compounds on sangin these are kneeling and crawling space tunnels with cache\stash areas that when placed can be used to escape to other compounds under attack to make the rat runs that exist in afghan you can walk over the top and not know there there until you find the entrance.

Sangin rocks a retexture of MB rocks these have a few different textures to match oa textures

Addons will be ready soon for release but will be more suited to island makes as its easier to place in visitor and you need to make depressions to terrain to get them to fit nice ,I have been testing with good results. If placed in the editor you will need to mess around with setpos.

I will try to take some screens and post but fraps is not installing at the moment so need to fix it first.

Other projects near complete

African round houses 90% complete.

Seeria Leon is now near completion just waiting on the above addon to complete it.

If any 1 has good knowledge on geometry I could rely use the help as that is 1 of the problems i have and uvsets or if any one would like to team up on projects pm me please could do with some help and info.

for some reson my brain's telling me this isn't possable but i've been proved wrong before, good luck, nice to hear some news on sierra Leone aswell.

One would wish to write "Pics or it didn't happen" :D

Seriously; this sounds very much promising. I'd imagine there's a number of modding teams or islandmakers who would be more than interested in this. Eagerly awaiting some pictorial evidence and hoping this would be also adaptable to some European (or at least non-Asian/African) theaters.

F5 key on stand by.

Do you mean trenches and tunnels to be placed on terrains in Visitor3 by map-makers ?

Yeah they are intended for use in visitor more than in the in game editor.

Hi all just to let you know that a long awaited feature that I always thought would be in game, but has not been done yet is tunnels and proper trenches not one's above ground level.

I had a tunnel even in OFP. Right now there are three 800 meter tunnels on Taviana island, one road and two train under the whole city.

69996762.th.jpg

Tunnel's i have a 50 meter tunnel to link compounds on sangin these are kneeling and crawling space tunnels with cache\stash areas that when placed can be used to escape to other compounds under attack to make the rat runs that exist in afghan you can walk over the top and not know there there until you find the entrance.

I know what you mean. I made the tunnels in a similar way. One problem that you will face is grass, since it can't grow on objects. So if the objects are on sand, they will be pretty much unnoticeable, but in grassy areas you will have to add grass manually in Visitor.

I will try to take some screens and post but fraps is not installing at the moment so need to fix it first.

Run ArmA 2 in windowsed mode (by making a shortcut to arma and adding -window in to the target like this: E:\Games\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\arma2.exe" -window

Then you can make a screenshot using the Print screen button.

And good luck with this, looking forward to it :smile:

Edited by -Martin-

cheers all i guessed the grass bit luckily im on desert just need to get the texture to match in as its a bit pink not sure if i need to add an rvmat like the oa texture has that ive used

I know about the chechen tunnel but it was not below ground it went into a dead end mountain and others ive seen are just a tube these are all encased to fit the terrain.

will post some images later tonight for you all

ill have to take a look into taviana island cheers for the tip about screens will get on that.

These are for island makers but will try to make some for editor that have a rise from terrain level to a meter or 2 above not like walls but mounds cut out with some different textures

With the grass is there no way to match the texture to grass like islands do maybe have the same type config for surface in the addon folder to spawn the grass on the model

Edited by SmokeDog3PARA

@the dude was not planning on another release but yes there will now also got murder hole walls too and some damaged walls to get through and work with the tunnels

murderholes.jpg

tunnel1.jpg

tunnel.jpg

They are not quite finished yet as now i have an understanding of how to do it i will be fine tuning them to get them looking non boxish

Edited by SmokeDog3PARA

Hi Smokedog nice to hear that someone is going to create such thing. As i can remeber for OFP I44 they invented a kind of foxehole that was very good. I tried to extract it from the Mod and port it to ARMA1, but i only could figure out that it was some kind of "turret". Maybe someone from theI44 team nows about it and can help you with your project (just a suggestion)