Sign in to follow this  
gammadust

SOPA - Internet as we know it about to be gone?

Hi all

It is now abundantly clear that we have in the west elements within the Inteligence Community that are off the rails.

These rogue elements within our Inteligence Community have inserted back doors into all the basic encription implimentations of the internet created by US UK companies, and other nations companies, where they have a US or UK division, right up to and including https and secure socket layer. Essentialy Internet security systems; manufactured in the west or that are amenable to leverage via: blackmail/bribery or having western contractors involved in its implimentation; are broken.

NSA and GCHQ unlock privacy and security on the internet

• NSA and GCHQ unlock encryption used to protect emails, banking and medical records

• $250m-a-year US program works covertly with tech companies to insert weaknesses into products

• Security experts say programs 'undermine the fabric of the internet'

James Ball, Julian Borger and Glenn Greenwald

The Guardian, Friday 6 September 2013

US and British intelligence agencies have successfully cracked much of the online encryption relied upon by hundreds of millions of people to protect the privacy of their personal data, online transactions and emails, according to top-secret documents revealed by former contractor Edward Snowden...

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/05/nsa-gchq-encryption-codes-security?CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2&et_cid=47987&et_rid=7982321&Linkid=http%3a%2f%2fwww.theguardian.com%2fworld%2f2013%2fsep%2f05%2fnsa-gchq-encryption-codes-security

As always follow th link to original text in full

My own thoughts are that the source of the cancer that is destroying our Inteligence Community are the contractor companies.

I do not think such people, or their apologists understand the dammage they have done.

To give you an Idea of the way this is going, I refer you to the case of the Investigative Reporter Barret Brown. Barret Brown found links to one of the government contractor webstes that was being used to store peoples credit card details in clear and had been discovered by hackers and Barret wrote about it to highlight the breach, before the story about the NSA and GCHQ and their contractors destroying the security of Western or Western influenced implimentations of Internet seccurity came out through Edward Snowden.

Essentialy Barret Brown discovered that one of the backdoor companies, Stratfor I am sure we all remember them, was keeping peoples private bank data in clear for any fraudster to download and use to rob their accounts. It now becomes clear that Barret Brown had discovered the smoking gun before the dead body of US Privacy was found.

Since then he has been locked up in the USA with he and his legal team gagged for nearly a year on what look like trumped up charges

Barrett Brown Faces 105 Years in Jail

But no one can figure out what law he broke. Introducing America's least likely political prisoner

By Alexander Zaitchik

September 5, 2013 3:45 PM ET

The mid-June sun is setting on the Mansfield jail near Dallas when Barrett Brown, the former public face of Anonymous, shuffles into the visitors hall wearing a jumpsuit of blazing orange. Once the nattiest anarchist around, Brown now looks like every other inmate in the overcrowded North Texas facility, down to his state-issued faux-Crocs, the color of candy corn.

Who Are America's New Political Prisoners?

Brown sits down across from his co-counsel, a young civil-liberties lawyer named Ahmed Ghappour, and raises a triumphant fist holding several sheets of notebook paper. "Penned it out," he says. "After 10 months, I'm finally getting the hang of these archaic tools." He hands the article, titled "The Cyber-Intelligence Complex and Its Useful Idiots," to his lawyer with instructions to send it to his editor at The Guardian. Brown used to write for the British daily, but since he's been in prison, it's written about him and his strange legal ordeal that has had him locked up for nearly a year while he awaits trial next month. Should he be found guilty of all the charges the federal government is bringing against him – 17 counts, ranging from obstruction of justice to threatening a federal officer to identity fraud – he'll face more than 100 years in prison...

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/barrett-brown-faces-105-years-in-jail-20130905

Oh and now it turns out that those elements in the are trying to Gag the press with Prior restraint to stop them informing people about the case.

An Unconstitutional Gag Order Threatens to Further Silence Barrett Brown

Wednesday, 04 September 2013 16:12

By Dustin Slaughter, Occupy.com | News Analysis

"The press does not simply publish information about trials but guards against the miscarriage of justice by subjecting the police, prosecutors, and judicial processes to extensive public scrutiny and criticism." - Chief Justice Warren E. Berger

Legal proceedings surrounding the politically-charged, precedent-setting prosecution of investigative journalist Barrett L. Brown have taken another disconcerting turn as the government has requested a gag order to be placed on both Brown and his defense team.

Brown, who was arrested during a September 2012 raid on his Dallas apartment, is currently indicted on 17 felonies and has spent over 300 days in pre-trial federal detention. He potentially faces over a century in federal prison.

On Wednesday, September 4, a judge will decide whether or not the government will be permitted to prohibit Brown and his defense team from speaking to the press...

http://truth-out.org/news/item/18611-an-unconstitutional-gag-order-threatens-to-further-silence-barrett-brown?fb_action_ids=471561216275760&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=aggregation&fb_aggregation_id=288381481237582

My use of bold in the last sentence of quoted text

Apparently the gag is in place:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/04/barrett-brown-gag-order-us-government

Can the last free person in America turn out the light.

Goodnight and good luck walker

Edited by walker
Layout and Grammar

Hi all

Is Freedom dying in America? a US Proffesor of Cryptography was ordered by his Dean to remove all mention of the NSA from his Johns Hopkins University Blog:

The NSA's next move: silencing university professors?

A Johns Hopkins computer science professor blogs on the NSA and is asked to take it down. I fear for academic freedom

Jay Rosen

theguardian.com, Tuesday 10 September 2013 17.40 BST

This actually happened yesterday:

A professor in the computer science department at Johns Hopkins, a leading American university, had written a post on his blog, hosted on the university's servers, focused on his area of expertise, which is cryptography. The post was highly critical of the government, specifically the National Security Agency, whose reckless behavior in attacking online security astonished him.

Professor Matthew Green wrote on 5 September:

I was totally unprepared for today's bombshell revelations describing the NSA's efforts to defeat encryption. Not only does the worst possible hypothetical I discussed appear to be true, but it's true on a scale I couldn't even imagine.

The post was widely circulated online because it is about the sense of betrayal within a community of technical people who had often collaborated with the government. (I linked to it myself.)

On Monday, he gets a note from the acting dean of the engineering school asking him to take the post down and stop using the NSA logo as clip art in his posts. The email also informs him that if he resists he will need a lawyer. The professor runs two versions of the same site: one hosted on the university's servers, one on Google's blogger.com service. He tells the dean that he will take down the site mirrored on the university's system but not the one on blogger.com. He also removes the NSA logo from the post. Then, he takes to Twitter...

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/sep/10/nsa-matthew-green-takedown-blog-post-johns-hopkins

As allways follow the link to the original text in full

Then the University realising its academic credentials were on the line rowed back

Crypto prof asked to remove NSA-related blog post

Predictable backtrack from Johns Hopkins comes a few hours later.

by Nate Anderson - Sept 9 2013, 9:55pm GMTDT

Matthew Green is a well-known cryptography professor, currently teaching in the computer science department of Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore. Last week, Green authored a long and interesting blog post about the recent revelations that the National Security Agency (NSA) has, among much else, subverted crypto standards. In his words, "The TL;DR ['too long; didn't read' version] is that the NSA has been doing some very bad things." And Green went on to speculate at some length about what those "bad things" were and what they might mean.

Today, Green's academic dean contacted him to ask that "all copies" of the blog post be removed from university servers. Green said that the move was not "my Dean's fault," but he did not elaborate. Were cryptology professors at Johns Hopkins not allowed to say, as Green had, things like:

I was totally unprepared for today's bombshell revelations describing the NSA's efforts to defeat encryption. Not only does the worst possible hypothetical I discussed appear to be true, but it's true on a scale I couldn't even imagine. I'm no longer the crank. I wasn't even close to cranky enough.

Was basic academic freedom on the line? Had the request even come initially from Johns Hopkins or from outside the school—perhaps someone at the NSA headquarters just up the road from Baltimore? ...

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/09/crypto-prof-asked-to-remove-nsa-related-blog-post/

As allways follow the link to the story in full

The fact is that elements within the inteligence community, as I said I suspect the commercial element, want the debate shut down. They want to watch us all, but do not want them selves watched or even talked about.

Freedom is under threat. The threat is domestic. Very Domestic.

Be careful out there walker

Hi all

As well as obtaining data on US citizens via a back scratching arrangement with GCHQ and other intelligence services the NSA provides NSA intel before it filtered of data containing intel on US citizens to Israel. Amazing how prism's reflections allows complete monitoring of all US citizens without breaking US law. Except for the fact of conspiracy by commercial intel community elements, with a foreign intelligence service, to flout those laws.

The NSA is sharing data with Israel. Before filtering out Americans’ information.

By Andrea Peterson, Published: September 11 at 12:37 pm

In the months since Edward Snowden’s classified document leaks, the Obama administration has repeatedly assured Americans that the National Security Agency does not intentionally collect information about U.S. citizens. The government has also said that when data are collected “inadvertently,†because an American is in contact with a foreign target, the data are protected by strict “minimization procedures†that prevent the information from being misused.

New documents from Snowden reported by the Guardian on Wednesday appear to contradict those claims. They reveal that the NSA has been sharing raw intelligence information with the Israeli government without first filtering it for data on the communications of American citizens...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2013/09/11/the-nsa-is-sharing-data-with-israel-before-filtering-out-americans-information/

As always follow the link to read the original story in full

Guess that is the last nail in the coffin of those who say anything that contradicts their world view is a conspiracy theory.

There are no conspiracy theories, only conspiracy facts.

Be careful out there walker

Edited by walker

Walker, its metadata ... no issue :p

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2048424/eu-politicians-call-for-suspension-of-datasharing-deal-amid-new-nsa-spying-allegations.html

European politicians on Monday called for the immediate suspension of a data-sharing agreement between the U.S. and the European Union following more revelations of spying by the U.S. National Security Agency.

The Terrorist Finance Tracking Program (TFTP) provides the U.S. Treasury with data stored in Europe by the international bank transfer company Swift.

Ah yes the classic "opt out" tick boxes that get missed so its your fault, a real gem that type of thing. I think you must opt in with your own price :)

Jokes aside, its pretty appalling all things considered.

Hi all

I was discussing the NSA/GCHQ effects on software and hardware companies in the US/UK one conclusion we came to was that the latest version of the apple OS would be a lot larger in order to comply with NSA/GCHQ requirements and that it would be riddled with security flaws that hackers and thieves would target as soon as the OS was put out. Can anyone who has an apple device let us know how the latest update is going?

Kind Regards walker

Hi Walker,

Thought you might find this article interesting:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2429685/Are-NYPD-Apple-payroll-Cops-hand-flyers-urging-people-upgrade-devices-iOS7-safer.html

Are NYPD on the Apple payroll? Cops hand out flyers urging people to upgrade their devices to iOS7 because it is 'safer'

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/09/23/article-2429685-182E170A00000578-394_634x839.jpg

Nice find mrcrash, shows how the bbc works in behave of its goverment, its one long attack on mr Greenwald and mr snowden, and how they(BBC) not care about the facts but use it to turn around and attack them, "like terrorist can get a hold off it and use it"(oldest lie in the book!)and how it only used for security(yeah we know better)

And insted off saying that it bad whisleblowers can/will go to jail(for longer sentences then murder)in like she said "maximum security prison(wow,yeah they so evil,we need to puth them in the heaviest protected jails for ever!) but no! only thing these reporters did was defend the goverments standpoint.

A other great piece of BBC-journalism(not).

Yes it was everso unbiased :) , in fact I actually felt it was more childish than anything. Was a good example, that's why a balanced "overview" is always best. Its funny that they treat them more like terrorists in terms of views of them than the terrorists that they claim are going to destroy everyone based on this "heads up" ... which as pointed out is a joke. Just muddying the waters from the actual point of it all.

As always its more interesting to watch the reaction to something to base the truth on that the actual news stories themselves. Its all about the reactions, attacking and demonising .. thats where to raise any eyebrow the most.

The reporter just reminded me of some argumentative head teacher at school telling someone off with interruption with personal feeling too much (mis guided personal feeling), throwing out narrow party line cliche's at every moment without listening - laughable. Pays the mortgage though bless em.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/03/edward-snowden-kill-list-joke-us-intelligence-chiefs

Edward Snowden should be put on kill list, joke US intelligence chiefs Former NSA and CIA chief and chair of House intelligence committee in jovial mood at 2013 Cybersecurity Summit

No doubt, but for someone who has apparently leaked false details that a very silly thought process.

Edited by mrcash2009

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/oct/11/skype-ten-microsoft-nsa

Skype under investigation in Luxembourg over link to NSA Ten years ago, the calling service had a reputation as a tool for evading surveillance but now it is under scrutiny for covertly passing data to government agencies

Posted for ref.

Edited by mrcash2009

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2056194/prisms-value-was-overstated-nsa-chief-acknowledges.html

Earlier this month, during a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing, Senator Patrick Leahy pressed the NSA’s director, General Keith Alexander, on whether the figures that are used to support data collection programs, notably the bulk collection of phone records, are accurate.

James Clapper, (who was also testifying with General Alexander) commented that the number of plots foiled shouldn't be the only measurable metric for success, noting that there was another metric that is very important, the "piece of mind metric."

i.e. You can check if terrorists such as the Boston Bombers had links to international groups.

Ah yes them ..... hmmmm. I cant comment on that as I was kicked from that thread and claimed to be mentally ill. :)

Edited by mrcash2009

Ah yes them ..... hmmmm. I cant comment on that as I was kicked from that thread and claimed to be mentally ill. :)

That moderator is sadly missed lol.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2056286/how-your-online-data-is-being-packaged-and-sold.html

The Direct Marketing Association last week released a 105-page report detailing the value of the Data Driven Marketing Economy (DDME), along with a couple of spiffy infographics. Written by academics from Harvard and Columbia, it describes in numbing detail how vital the buying and selling of our personal data is to the future of our economy and the safety of the free world—and thus should be free from any government oversight.

http://ddminstitute.thedma.org/#valueofdata

Edited by mrcash2009

Hmm, coming from harvard and Columbia,i see it and it read's like some propaganda piece to make us believe that its good they steal our infomation and sell it to company's and goverments, and ofcourse with the warning thats it "Vital"for the economy that they get/sell our information, and how it's for the safety of the free world(really,again that line)!

I know, global depression (recession sorry) means desperate measures and perfect reasons, bless em.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2477013/Was-ISRAEL-hacking-millions-French-phones-NOT-U-S--Extraordinary-twist-spying-saga-revealed.html

Was ISRAEL behind the hacking of millions of French phones and NOT the U.S.? Extraordinary twist in spying saga revealed

More varying shenanigans.

Edited by mrcash2009

Experimenting with Biochip Implants

I really feel sorry for some people.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/technology/one-more-thing-heavyweights-open-door-to-the-future-1.1579644

What does the future hold in terms of technology? Well for a start every baby born will have an IP address as well as a name. We will have chips in our skin and eyes which will communicate with the rooms we walk into. Smartphones will be a thing of the past and everyone will be using Google Glass.

Futurism, you have to love it. (Always bear in mind the NSA debacle and this).

Edited by mrcash2009

that guys is crazy nothing else and i think he did it to get some attention, dont mind the implications you will get by puthing something like that in your arm :annoy:

Great place we live in; greenwald's partner is now a terrorist because of the info they stole from him, obamacare is a hoax to get money out off ppl's pocket,(websites are a joke) every day we hear more and more about who spied on who and without reason,and how they blow smoke up our arses but dont really do anything about it because their our ally's and we wont jeopardize that(LOL) or how cameron blame's snowden that those revelations he did that are a threat to the UK,etc,etc,etc.

crazy kookoo world we live in these days!

crazy kookoo world we live in these days!

Not really, it's always been fasionable with some to be anti-establishment, some grow out of it, others never do. The more intelligent recognise pied pipers like Greenwald for what they really are: savvy, self interested, self promoters - notice he has himself a new job already lol? Ever wonder why they chose to pass through the UK on that trip and not the half dozen other routes that don't pass through the territory of a close US ally? They avoided the US mainland as that would be too obvious. It's always better publicity if you get arrested, a night in jail is like money in the bank to some people, they will dine out on that for years.

RE the video - well it's a good idea to monitor temperature, might give advance warning of infection lol. Perhaps they should have pre-streched the skin with a subcutaneous inflation device so everything fitted in more neatly, that looks like nasty and amateurish surgery that could tear open easily.