Sign in to follow this  
gammadust

SOPA - Internet as we know it about to be gone?

@MrCash all credit to the lady for printing a retraction and admitting her mistake, if only others had the decency to do the same ;)

I agree, surprisingly. Although it wasnt complete retraction just the work tip off that was not made clear (and should if your getting your house searched), still highlights the human aspect of jumping to assumptions about web use without actualy speaking to people first & running to authority no questions asked, all based on search criteria that anyone can do.

Edited by mrcash2009

For some fun & a good point:

NSA surveillance 'has no legal basis whatsoever'

http://rt.com/op-edge/nsa-surveillance-no-legal-basis-928/

Cartoon image:

cz35.jpg

If I rob a bank and steal a hundred million dollars and I don’t spend all that much of the money it doesn’t mean that I didn’t rob the bank and it doesn’t mean that the money is still in the bank. That’s kind of the argument that the NSA is making.

They’re claiming that because they collect everything but they only look at a little bit of it that somehow is supposed to make us feel better.

:)

UomwDhQwff8

Edited by mrcash2009
Video added.

Hi all

US encryted email service providers in the US, were told by the NSA let them see what US citizens are writing in their private emails, making all their private correrespondance open to the NSA, or face jail so they took them selves out of business and wiped their servers.

Lavabit founder closed his secure email service to 'protect the privacy' of its users

By Nathan Ingraham on August 10, 2013 11:57 am

It's been a few days since Lavabit, the secure email service used by whistleblower Edward Snowden, shut down to avoid "crimes against the American people." Founder Ladar Levison's initial message detailing the shutdown was quite cryptic, but now he's starting to speak out about the circumstances surrounding Lavabit's closure — as much as he's legally able to, anyway. CNET has shared an extensive interview in which Levison details the reasoning behind the shutdown, the reaction of Lavabit's users, and his feelings behind the extend of the US government's surveillance programs...

http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/10/4608664/lavabit-founder-closed-his-secure-email-service-to-protect-the

As allways follow the link to the original text in full

Several other encrypted email companies based in the US have also shut down and wiped their servers, including silent mail,

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/09/silent-circle-shutting-down-encripted-email_n_3732779.html

While other encryptions suppliers outside the US are under what appear to be hack attacks.

Those US based encrypted email companies that have not shut down have aquiessed to the NSA's demands and given the NSA decrypted access to US citizens emails.

For the US Citizen as Mark Zukerberg said "Privicy is dead" was he trying to let the cat out of the bag?

Mean while Legal fictions and government bodies paid for by US taxes are still allowed to keep whatever dirty underhand activity they want to away from the public gaze.

Seems the only solution for US citizens who want privacy is Kim Dotcom.

Lately the US NSA reminds me more and more of the McCarthy era.

Could the last free person in the USA please turn out the light.

Good night and Good luck.

Edited by walker

For the US Citizen as Mark Zukerberg said "Privicy is dead" was he trying to let the cat out of the bag?

It could be or hes simply batting for the funding team. The whole thing is about "nothing to hide nothing to worry about" .. the ideas and thinktanks want nothing more than the internet to be a single login page under your actual ID to then shop and surf via that portal (facebook trial), the notion of a fragmented untraceable (to a point) net with aliases is somehow the reason for its dark side, but its been the core of bulletin boards since the get go of the web from day one without anything underhanded.

As regards land of the free, I wouldn't get too caught up in the country it resides becuase its global and information share is clear over any physical borders given the right circumstances and triggers. GCHQ isn't any less powerful probably the most and that's UK based.

The chattering activists and journalists are as amusing as ever and still don't understand how the law works and make the same mistake again.

You might remember we had a conversation about the US Espionage Act - Headline: Manning/Snowden charged with spying/espionage.

Well that wasn't true was it? They were charged with retaining classified documents which is included the Act. If you remove classified documents from a secure location without permission, it's a crime in itself under the act. Whether you intend to spy or not is immaterial.

Here we are again: Man is detained under Section 7: Terrorism Act 2000 - those that don't think clearly about the circumstances jump to the conclusion that he is suspected of terrorism, but is that the case? Doubtful:

David Miranda was travelling with tickets paid for by the Guardian between Brazil and Berlin via London.

He was acting as a courier between his partner, Glenn Greenwald and the documentary maker Laura Poitras who is in contact with Snowden.

So he was doing a job of work - acting as a courier. Not just another average tourist then?

He is in fact working for a group of people that are dealing with stolen property.

What Greenwald doesn't seem to realise is that your press card ≠ a get out of jail free card.

Mr. Miranda was in Berlin to deliver documents related to Mr. Greenwald’s investigation into government surveillance to Ms. Poitras, Mr. Greenwald said. Ms. Poitras, in turn, gave Mr. Miranda different documents to pass to Mr. Greenwald. Those documents, which were stored on encrypted thumb drives, were confiscated by airport security, Mr. Greenwald said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/19/world/europe/britain-detains-partner-of-reporter-tied-to-leaks.html?_r=1&

So here we have a passenger possibly carrying stolen classified documents. Could those documents concievably contain material that might be beneficial to a terrorist organisation, if leaked? Yes it's conceivable, so what legislation is it logical to use to stop and search this passenger?

He was therefore legally detained in custody and searched. Due to the encryption and amount of material involved it took the full 9 hours.

They then decided to release Miranda, retained some electronic storage items for further analysis, they are obliged to return them within 7 days.

So no they don't think he is a terrorist, they are concerned about the documents he may be carrying.

The important thing to notice is, he wasn't stopped on the way to Berlin. He was stopped on the return journey when the possibility arose that he may be carrying something illegal.

I don't have much sympathy for people that traffic in stolen property and they can't expect to travel freely if they are linked to illegal activity. Police and Border Agency staff have a duty to investigate this.

Edited by Mattar_Tharkari

Hi all

Groklaw the legal website is to close as the basis of atourney client privlige no longer exists in the US.

20 August 2013 Last updated at 19:32

Groklaw news website abandoned over US surveillance

By Pia Gadkari

Technology reporter

An award-winning legal news website has stopped work, saying it cannot operate under current US surveillance policies.

Pamela Jones, Groklaw's founder, cited the alleged US practice of screening emails from abroad and storing messages "enciphered or otherwise thought to contain secret meaning" for five years.

Groklaw had promised its sources anonymity, but said it could not now ensure contributors would stay secret.

Experts said they were worried that a site like Groklaw was closing.

The US National Security Agency's operations came under the spotlight following a series of leaks to the Guardian newspaper by former intelligence analyst Edward Snowden.

The NSA has since confirmed that it collected and analysed emails and other "select communications" from non-US persons, and that messages from US citizens were "sometimes incidentally acquired" as part of its operations.

In the wake of the disclosures, two encrypted email services - designed so that no-one other than the recipient could read the messages - have also closed...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23768810

As allways follow the link to the original text in full

I think we need to be setting up political refugee systems for those leaving the US and UK due to an increasingly authoritarian regime.

Sadly walker

Edited by walker

atourney client privlige no longer exists in the US.

*She isn't acting as an attourney for anyone so it never applied in the 1st place in this situation, it's a blog?

*The specific document regarding "retention for 5 years" states that they must not monitor communications between attourney and client and any collected communications regarding a US citizen must be destroyed.

*For the communication to be used at all there must be evidence of a crime being committed.

*If criminal activity is being furthered by communications between attourney and client, privilege is void anyway under the crime/fraud exception rule.

*I doubt a FISA Court Judge would issue a warrant that breaches attourney/client privilege in the 1st place.

*Looks to me like the lady is paranoid, why would the NSA find that site interesting in the 1st place, I doubt she is engaging in criminal activity, what would their interest be?

*Does she not realise that the nations her sources live in would be spying on their communications as they left that country anyway - possibly without all the checks and oversight required in the USA?

*Bet she can't name 1 instance where NSA activity has curtailed the information supplied to her site in it's 10 years of operation.

*The provisions under the Patriot Act that allowed warrantless wire tapping were repealed several years ago, yet she feels less safe now - doesn't make sense?

I know this story didn't originate with the BBC and they are just parroting shit they found on the web - nice to know Pia Gadkari is working hard in Washington at licence fee payers expense, best to check source documents before you put your foot in it!

@Walker, If you are leaving us the next and nearest convenient flight for you would be the 07:45am Easy Jet flight to Moscow from Manchester tomorrow morning - want a lift? Flight to Cuba on Friday from there also. Robin Hood Airport will only get you as far as Poland, You can get to Finland from East Midlands?

Hi all

An Interesting error you made there Mattar Thakari, your nickers are showing.

:)

Kind Regards walker

qoIcPyePI54

I think the points raised by the editor are valid.

99pwjnKdcIA

Interesting in ref questioning, most about his life and not about specifics.

"highly sensitive data that could help terrorist and lead to loss of life" ...
that's a bit "open" isnt it when you blur what "terrorist" is (important factor of all).

One thing thats key is the use of a terror law under journalism links, becuase whats actually being said is anything leaked (or anything "deemed" something that may help terror) in itself requires a law under "terrorism" to be performed. Bottom line is .. if it can be filed and linked under "terrorism" its open season to a multitude of "triggers" and processes.

The important thing to notice is, he wasn't stopped on the way to Berlin. He was stopped on the return journey when the possibility arose that he may be carrying something illegal.

Key words ... We shall see.

What are nickers?

Womens underwear :) Edited by mrcash2009

Hi all

An Interesting error you made there Mattar_Thakari, your knickers are showing.

In order to please our spelling bee :)

On the more substantive matters:

Citing Privacy Worries, Tech And Legal Site Groklaw Shuts Down

by BILL CHAPELL

August 20, 2013 1:16 PM

The website Groklaw, which for 10 years demystified complex issues involving technology and the law, is shutting down. Editor Pamela Jones writes that she can't run the site without email, and that since emails' privacy can't be guaranteed, she can no longer do the site's work.

"I loved doing Groklaw, and I believe we really made a significant contribution," Jones writes, in her farewell post. "But even that turns out to be less than we thought, or less than I hoped for, anyway. My hope was always to show you that there is beauty and safety in the rule of law, that civilization actually depends on it. How quaint."

Jones titled the post "Forced Exposure." Online, the news of Groklaw's closure was met with shock and sadness among its readers.

In a sentiment that was retweeted nearly 500 times, technology writer Clay Shirky wrote, "Groklaw shuts down: 'There is now no shield from forced exposure' by the US. I started crying, reading PJ's last post."...

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/08/20/213828634/citing-privacy-worries-tech-and-legal-site-groklaw-shuts-down

I realise now that Mattar_Thakari does not understand this. :(

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

Trolling again? The lady is a bit paranoid: The Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978 doesn't allow what she is worried about? The actual guidance documents she cites also say this?

For most purposes, including electronic surveillance and physical searches, "foreign powers" means a foreign government, any faction(s) or foreign governments not substantially composed of U.S. persons, and any entity directed or controlled by a foreign government. §§1801(a)(1)-(3) The definition also includes groups engaged in international terrorism and foreign political organizations. §§1801(a)(4) and (5). The sections of FISA authorizing electronic surveillance and physical searches without a court order specifically exclude their application to groups engaged in international terrorism. See §1802(a)(1) (referring specifically to §1801(a)(1), (2), and (3)).

The statute includes limits on how it may be applied to U.S. persons. A "U.S. person" includes citizens, lawfully admitted permanent resident aliens, and corporations incorporated in the United States.

The code defines "foreign intelligence information" to mean information necessary to protect the United States against actual or potential grave attack, sabotage or international terrorism.[7]

In sum, a significant purpose of the electronic surveillance must be to obtain intelligence in the United States on foreign powers (such as enemy agents or spies) or individuals connected to international terrorist groups. To use FISA, the government must show probable cause that the “target of the surveillance is a foreign power or agent of a foreign power.â€

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_Intelligence_Surveillance_Act

As she isn't a foreign power/ engaged in crime the NSA aren't legally allowed to spy on her and the Judge would reject the warrant application. Why would they in the 1st place? Limited resources.....they have better things to do.

Hi all

More information on how Prism works.

The US NSA pays the security service of a foreign power, for example the UK's GCHQ to spy on US citizens. That way the NSA is not doing the spying on its own citizens, it is foreign power spying on US citizens, the kind of thing Mattar_Thakari appparently likes, but by doing so they are engaging in a conspiracy to circumvent laws designed to protect the privacy of US citizens.

This is a reciprocal arrangement, the USA spys on for example UK and Swedish citizens. That essentialy is how PRISM works.

You can read more here:

NSA files: why the Guardian in London destroyed hard drives of leaked filesA threat of legal action by the government that could have stopped reporting on the files leaked by Edward Snowden led to a symbolic act at the Guardian's offices in London

Julian Borger

The Guardian, Tuesday 20 August 2013 18.23 BST

Guardian editors on Tuesday revealed why and how the newspaper destroyed computer hard drives containing copies of some of the secret files leaked by Edward Snowden.

The decision was taken after a threat of legal action by the government that could have stopped reporting on the extent of American and British government surveillance revealed by the documents.

It resulted in one of the stranger episodes in the history of digital-age journalism. On Saturday 20 July, in a deserted basement of the Guardian's King's Cross offices, a senior editor and a Guardian computer expert used angle grinders and other tools to pulverise the hard drives and memory chips on which the encrypted files had been stored...

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/20/nsa-snowden-files-drives-destroyed-london

As allways follow the link to read the original text in full

Of course the thing about conspiring together, to circumvent the laws in this way, is that it makes the crime bigger, and any one right up to: department heads, MP's, Representatives, Ministers, Secretarys of state all the way up to Prime Ministers and Presidents have made them selves party to high crimes and misdemeanors.

Kind Regards Walker

Well you have a wonderful imagination but why does the story on the breakdown of the £100million indicate the opposite of what you say? It's mostly for infrastructure and hardware. You also don't understand how law enforcement works in the USA. If the USA needs to spy on it's own citizens the legal authority is with the FBI, they handle domestic intelligence? They really don't need the UK - ROFL @ conspiritards

I noticed someone on the forums once called you "batshit crazy" - any comment on that?

Hi all

...I noticed someone on the forums once called you "batshit crazy" - any comment on that?

Recorded for posterity.

I mean really, pouring through every post ever to reply to me so you can find one that insults me?

Kind Regard walker

Edited by walker

I mean really, pouring through every post ever to reply to me so you can find one that insults me?

Err no was just interested in your previous prophecies and opinions so had a quick search back to 2002 - ever done that yourself and noticed how most were wildly inaccurate or untrue? The insults were a bonus but most of those that made them seem to have moved on.

yesterday press said that in some countries governments want to sign agreement with USA that our coutries will be giving bank (accounts) data to USA !

yesterday press said that in some countries governments want to sign agreement with USA that our coutries will be giving bank (accounts) data to USA !

Account & transaction data is now shared between multiple nations across the globe - it's an international agreement to curb tax avoidance, money laundering, crime and fraud. I would have thought you would think that was a good thing? Rich Poles can't stash their cash abroad and avoid paying domestic tax? It's done through SWIFT: Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication. It's been in place since 2006?

it's an international agreement to curb tax avoidance, money laundering, crime and fraud

Self regulation not included, or is that selective regulation included :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23803189

David Miranda: Police inquiry over ‘sensitive’ material

Police have launched a criminal inquiry after seizing thousands of classified intelligence documents from the partner of a Guardian journalist.

The fun & games are getting ever more juicy now, who cares about PRISM this is far too much fun to be distracted with *rubs hands*.

Edited by mrcash2009