Sign in to follow this  
nightsta1ker

Community Update No. 3

btw nightstalker, is it possible to configure xml so that whenever we do left pedal turns during a hover we get reduced power so we descend slightly and vice versa for right pedal turns?

Supposedly TOH models this, and I can see where the code is. Unfortunately changing these parameters seems to significantly screw with other behaviors... It all has to do with the gear ratios which b101_uk spent so much time perfecting. I'm still trying to figure some of this stuff out. There has to be a way...

In any case, I am busy doing some official Beta tester duties for Nemeth Designs so that will probably keep me occupied for a few weeks.

I've got my hands in everything rotor-wing. X-plane, FSX, and now TOH. Plus a full time job maintaining Chinooks and moonlighting as a flight instructor. Oh yeah, And I am married with two kids. So I don't have too much time for all this stuff as it is. When I get the free time, I work on my various projects. Most often I barely have enough time just to check all the forums I keep tabs on. And at this point, it's been a while since I just played to have fun. I'm always tweaking something and trying to make it better. Just my nature I guess :D.

Just my nature I guess :D.

We love your nature :)

PS: Some one told me time ago that kids can be put in "hold mode" by sitting them in front of a Play Station, you would only need to feed them, I think they will automatically complete the day/night sleep cycle, however it is not yet clear if they continue growing or not.

NOTE: This caveat is NOT applicable to wives.

:D

Edited by Isaac
Applied family engineering tips added.

We love your nature :)

PS: Some one told me time ago that kids can be put in "hold mode" by sitting them in front of a Play Station, you would only need to feed them, I think they will automatically complete the day/night sleep cycle, however it is not yet clear if they continue growing or not.

NOTE: This caveat is NOT applicable to wives.

:D

It would work great if I did not mind them turning into zombies. I had a childhood outdoors and only since moving to rainy Washington have I become stuck inside and glued to the computer. If I move, you may never hear from me again!

It would work great if I did not mind them turning into zombies. I had a childhood outdoors and only since moving to rainy Washington have I become stuck inside and glued to the computer. If I move, you may never hear from me again!

:)

Happy to hear that there is still people that appreciate that strange thing nowadays, called "outdoors"...

Time ago I was concerned by your comments on ToH flight model quality and I was fearing that you would leave the boat before the first patch.

I'm happy to see that, by now, it didn't happened, on the other hand I will also be happy to know that you "hang the mouse" to go to greener fields.

In such case you know that you have the obligation to let us know in advance so that we can prepare the biggest helicopter simulation LAN party ever, obviously in your new country home, in this way you have best of both worlds... no worries we will bring the food the bears and the computers, oh, and we promise not to ask for "in situ" flight enhancements (I guess you already know I'm lying :o). :D

Sorry for a noob question:

With this mod (I like the the better flightmodel :yay: ) it is not possible to continue my saved games from the campain. Is this correct, or do I have to change any other config in addition ?

Keep the great wor on..

Any in game progress will be affected by patch, mods, replacement config, etc and it is always a good idea to restart the mission, campaign progess should not be affect by this

..., campaign progess should not be affect by this

How can I continue the campain ? When I start the last saved point (in this case a saving-point at the helipart) TOH says, this is an incompatible version ...

Is there a command-line parameter ot something... ?

Or any other way to use this modification with the campain, including a roleback possibility ?

Thanks in advance

How can I continue the campain ? When I start the last saved point (in this case a saving-point at the helipart) TOH says, this is an incompatible version ...

Is there a command-line parameter ot something... ?

Or any other way to use this modification with the campain, including a roleback possibility ?

Thanks in advance

there's a difference between losing progress in the mission and the campaign. just choose restart mission and you'll still keep the campaign progress.

So, I revisited ToH yesterday to try the CU3. I put that HSIM folder in my ToH root directory. How can I make sure, that ToH use these files instead? Is there a function to test it?

I´m still not able to do the sling load training. After take off and have only the rope in the air -not the load attached to it-, the heli is still uncontrollable for me. It moves to the left (ok, could be the wind) and I do very small inputs and it will become absolutely instable and it moves exaggerated. Deadzone on all axes is 0. I use a TM:Warthog. Does anyone have an advise for me? Anyone here with a Warthog, and if yes, could pls post the settings in ToH? Thanks in advance.:)

The best way to set your material is to practice a hover.

Deadzone on all axes is 0

I just checked I'm at 2-3% deadzone on my Cyclic axes. 0% on Collective and on my Momo's pedals. Since the CU3 that changed a lot's on it. (For rudder)

All my Curve are linear.

The best way to set your material is to practice a hover.

I just checked I'm at 2-3% deadzone on my Cyclic axes. 0% on Collective and on my Momo's pedals. Since the CU3 that changed a lot's on it. (For rudder)

All my Curve are linear.

I had about the same deadzone like you, before changing it to 0. The result was somewhat the same for me. I really would like to have an infoscreen in-game (you know, like that one in EDs sim`s; CTRL+E) where I can see how the game interprets my moves on the axes.

Check it on your joystick software? Are you using T.A.R.G.E.T? I'm for my little T16000m it's awesome.

Remove the hsim folder.

Start the game, go into the mission editor, place a “player†then place 3 AI grouped to the player, place an empty light helicopter with 100% fuel and then set the weather to no wind and a sunny day, then save the mission so it can be reopened in the editor after a restart of the game

Start the mission, get in the helicopter and order the 3 other AI to get in, and start it up, when ready for take-off set auto-hover to ON, increase collective while looking at the torque gauge to keep the needle on 90% then look at the climb rate in FT/min for amount the first few mins of flight and make a mental note, then exit the game.

Reintroduce hsim folder, and repeat the mission with the torque gauge needle on the same 90% point, you should see a significant difference in climb rate and altitude reached in a similar time with the CU3 given the other constants of zero wind, same fuel weight, same passenger weight, same helicopter weight, etc.

As for your joystick it may need calibrating as the centre point may have drifted coupled with having 0 dead-zone would show this up, in the controller options it’s possible to see what the joystick is reading when centred by clicking the “show†button, if its anything other than “0†for a specific axis when centred you need to recalibrate (same place you set the dead-zones in game)

Running a WH at the moment myself EagleEye and i must say i have great difficulty controlling the helo's it feels next to impossible and almost like its dangling from a rope high above.

Having only Dodosim FSX to compare with a i cant really say much but i have no issues hovering steady even in high winds there, on takeon its next to impossible to get a stable flight. A great deal of that comes from the fact that the helo pretty much jumps into the air and straight into instability, in my opinion anyway.

I truly hope all these issues gets ironed out as i absolutely love bohemia for making this game and soon perhaps somewhat closer to a sim, you have my eternal gratitude

@hon0: No, I don`t use TARGET currently. Should I?

@b101_uk: Will try that soon and the joystick options. I guess that I haven`t much tried the controller options yet.

@Trigen: Thx for youre reply to. Good to know that I´m not the only Warthog user having that problem. I really trie everything sim or game that have a helicopter. Have bought the Dreamfoil R22 recently for X-Plane and don`t have a problem to etablish a stable hover. Not in DCS:BS, FSX or any other helo game or sim, though in ToH it seems nearly impossible for me. Don`t know if it is a controller problem and/or setting it up properly or....who knows....

Noticed that the slingload training mission is using the light 400 instead of the 600 (or so i believe) , with the improved fm of the 600 its actually quite controllable. I could barely do the training with my custom made helo stick (and no way with the warthog, to much center groove) but dont have to much issues using the modded one.

Sorry to go a little off topic

Thanks again to NightStalker and the rest that has worked on this, quite enjoyable to fly

Ps

Still feels like it has a massive pendulum effect from high above the rotor, it dont take much for it to go all out crazy

Edited by Trigen

What is the difference between the original-XMLs of the 400 compared to the 600? Maybe one could copy the 600-XML to replace the 400-XML and just modify the engine power to match the original values.

A little less power i believe , other than that it should be identical.

With the new RC FM files released there's no real need to modify (much) though it in my opinion (might be some tweaks to be done of course)

Just installed this mod and have been flying it for a few hours. What a difference. Fantastic work guys.

I can't wait to test the further tweaks as they are developed.

This is the second update I have done. I consider it the third community update because b101_uk recently released some excellent modifications that are included in this update. I basically took his work and added to it. Please feel free to share your thoughts.

Click on the link and simply unzip this folder into your TOH root folder and enjoy the new flight dynamics.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?bgdihcqukjdlysz

A great big thanks to everyone who has helped me do this. And if I get positive feedback, I will move on to working on the medium and heavy helo's next.

Enjoy!

Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question.

In my copy of ToH, everything is pbo'd. If I un-pbo the file that contains the files you modified, my directory structure looks like:

Take on Helicopters\AddOns\air_us_h\Helicopters_Light

Your zip contains \HSim\Air_US_H\Helicopters_Light

So, how does one go from having this copy of ToH (Steam), to having one containing the HSim directory?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

This is what you need to have if I remember well.

SteamApps\common\take on helicopters\HSim\Air_US_H\Helicopters_Light\Here is the config.cpp and and the light XML

I think it don't work anymore since the 1.04 patch.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?cq5tdfzqdet6lj2

Just drag and drop here ;

SteamApps\common\take on helicopters

Edited by hon0

This is what you need to have if I remember well.

SteamApps\common\take on helicopters\HSim\Air_US_H\Helicopters_Light\Here is the config.cpp and and the light XML

I think it don't work anymore since the 1.04 patch.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?cq5tdfzqdet6lj2

Just drag and drop here ;

SteamApps\common\take on helicopters

Thanks! I did that first. It very strongly affects the FM of the light heli, but removes all heli related sounds. This is 1.05 which is basically all you can have if you're connected to Steam, apparently.

How do you stop it ruining the sounds?

That FM does make the light very easy to fly! And it seems the damage rectangle is smaller, too! I can do things with it now I wouldn't dare try with the BI version.