Sign in to follow this  
timmy

D-day

i just remembered today is the anniversary of dday, i think im gonna go watch saving private ryan now. smile.gif

and ill try to remember all the brave people that died for their country.

Damn I totally forgot too! sad.gif

"Happy" D-Day!

TCM or AMC or History Channel better have some good shit on tonight!

Damn it I read that topic and didn't even put it together!!!

ARRGGHH!!

Plus TCM, AMC, and the History Channel don't have ANYTHING on it....no movies or shoes or nothing. We got Doctor Zhivago, Terms Of Endearment, and Nazi POWS in America to choose from sad.gif

BAH!

And me with out SPR on DVD even.....not even The Longest Day.

Yesterday was my dad's birthday, and I forgot about it until last night.

Today, I forgot it was D-Day anniversary until now.

Man, I hope someone remindes me when OFP Resistance comes out.

-=Die Alive=-

I'm gonna have to go home...install the new sweet Higgins add-on...and make some missions I see.

Gotta take up the slack of the damn media conglomorates.

DOWN WITH THE MAN!

biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This month's cover story in National Geographic. Looks like an interesting read.

<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, I read it in my school Library, pretty interesting. It covered some of the 'untold' stories from D-Day, like the intelligence gathering and low altitude recon fly-overs over Normandy.

I would like to go to France one day and see some of the old battle feilds from the 1st and 2nd world wars, like Vimy Ridge, Passendaele, and Ypres, from WW1 and Dieppe and Normandy, from WW2. Stalingrad would be interesting to see as well.

Tyler

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Assault (CAN) @ June 06 2002,21:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This month's cover story in National Geographic. Looks like an interesting read.

<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, I read it in my school Library, pretty interesting. It covered some of the 'untold' stories from D-Day, like the intelligence gathering and low altitude recon fly-overs over Normandy.

I would like to go to France one day and see some of the old battle feilds from the 1st and 2nd world wars, like Vimy Ridge, Passendaele, and Ypres, from WW1 and Dieppe and Normandy, from WW2. Stalingrad would be interesting to see as well.

Tyler<span id='postcolor'>

My parents went to Europe again last summer. My Dad wanted to see all the battlefields (I'm going to Appomattox and Gettysburgh with him this summer) but my Mom wouldn't let him.

So what he got for me was 1- a blurred picture of the Arnhem sign as the train he was on sped by it, 2-pics of sights in Berlin with really close up shots of the WW2 bulletholes they still had, and 3- the pic of a basement window in London....he had to explain to me this was the building where Churchill's HQ was during parts of the blitz as well as a secret British intel (think thats what he said).

Hey, thanks for the reminder smile.gif That was one of my favorite conflicts (Historically)

i would suggest we all play omaha beach multiplayer in MOHAA but everyone who's played it knows it's just an unorganized sniper fest mad.gif

Okay, so 59 sun-orbits ago the largest invasion in the history of manking took place. Here Here.

Let's celebrate by having a party. I'll bring the beer, let someone else bring the Macaroni salad.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (advocatexxx @ June 06 2002,23:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Okay, so 59 sun-orbits ago the largest invasion in the history of manking took place.  Here Here.

Let's celebrate by having a party.  I'll bring the beer, let someone else bring the Macaroni salad.<span id='postcolor'>

Amazing. Could you be a little more negative? I mean seriously, Id be willing to bet that you couldnt. But Im not much of a gambler.

wow.gif9--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ June 07 2002,00wow.gif9)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (advocatexxx @ June 06 2002,23:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Okay, so 59 sun-orbits ago the largest invasion in the history of manking took place.  Here Here.

Let's celebrate by having a party.  I'll bring the beer, let someone else bring the Macaroni salad.<span id='postcolor'>

Amazing. Could you be a little more negative? I mean seriously, Id be willing to bet that you couldnt. But Im not much of a gambler.<span id='postcolor'>

Macaroni salad sux  mad.gif

Gambling sux mad.gif

biggrin.gif

My great uncle was one in one of the First Ranger Batallion known as Rudder's Rangers. He was K.I.A. at Point du Hoc. It was supposedly a suicide mission.

I remeber it was D day today. I really have respect for those men that went into normandy and really all of them.

So too our armed forces, thanks. smile.gif

I've often heard it was the greatest invasion in history - shouldn't that be corrected to "modern history"?

I'm just guessing that it has been done bigger ... 100 years war, Alexander the Great, Napoleon, Roman empire, Atilla the Hunn ...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">My great uncle was one in one of the First Ranger Batallion known as Rudder's Rangers. He was K.I.A. at Point du Hoc. It was supposedly a suicide mission.<span id='postcolor'>

Steven Ambrose has written several good books on the subject.  In the catch all book 'The Victors' he actually writes quite a bit about the Rangers at Point du Hoc.  Scaling cliffs from the sea to take out some arty...all from a tiny beach that was mostly slippery clay and being swallowed by the tide. Yikes.

Thing is, the Rangers actually did a marvelous job of it and managed to complete their initial mission with speed and lesser casualties than those landing at Omaha.  They were actually the first US unit that day to acheive their objectives.  But then it took two days to get them support and resupply, so they suffered almost 50% losses.

Brave men... and it's good that we dont forget.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Okay, so 59 sun-orbits ago the largest invasion in the history of manking took place.  Here Here.

Could you be any more of an idiot?  Do you have any idea what an asshole you are?  Lucky I am not a mod because I'd ban your ass for that one.  Disrespect us as much as you want...but leave off insulting men whose boots you are not worthy to clean, with an ignorant attitude like that.

Here in Canada we celebrate Remembrance Day on November 11th (I think it's Vetrans Day in the US).  It's a time to remember the men and women who died so that we might have the freedoms that we live with today.

This year, I watched a 20 something prick and his bimbo girlfriend almost knock over an old fellow in his Royal Canadian Legion (Like the VFW in the US) blazer.  He had his World War II and Korea campaign ribbons, plus several decorations.  They didnt stop and say excuse me.  I stopped them and suggested they appologize to the fellow for nearly knocking him over and being rude.  Guess what, I got told  'Fuck you, asshole...what's it got to do with you'

These men fought and died for us and our freedoms. Many of them made the ultimate sacrifice so you can be sitting here being an asshole. Never forget that.  I surely hope you said that to get a rise and are not just the clueless jerk.

'Lest We Forget'

Yeah Advocate, I am sure you will sneer and say that I am clueless or have no right to speak my mind... but I think you are in the minority of people who think Advocate is God's gift to the world.

How many Medals of Honor(or equivalent awards) were awarded for D-Day and the break out into France?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Grey Fox @ June 07 2002,03:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">How many Medals of Honor(or equivalent awards) were awarded for D-Day and the break out into France?<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">How many Medals of Honor(or equivalent awards) were awarded for D-Day and the break out into France?<span id='postcolor'>

that's not really a good metric of the overall bravery on D Day. According to what I've read, only one Medal of Honour was awarded per division (at least I think it was per divison..soemthing like that..and being at work I cant check my books) for actions in the D Day landing. So a lot of guys who did brave things deserving of the CMOH ended up with DSC's or Silver Stars.

Advocat, please APOLOGIZE ABOUT YOUR Celebration shit.

you this is not a good time to joke around.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">These men fought and died for us and our freedoms. Many of them made the ultimate sacrifice so you can be sitting here being an asshole. Never forget that. I surely hope you said that to get a rise and are not just the clueless jerk.

<span id='postcolor'>

Our ancestors fought for our freedom, their ancestors fought for theirs, and so on it goes.

Am I bound not to use a bit of sarcasm or humor when speaking of war ? Am I bound to forever weep and feel deep emotional sadness when I think of these moments ? Am I eternally expected to push depression onto those who join me in a conversation of war ? War is a fight on a major scale. Animals fight for territory and often die if they fail to achieve victory. Children on the playground fight over toys. Leaders of countries fight while involving the loss of millions of men in the process because they believe it's for a good cause. War and violence is part of humanity and forever will be unless we evolve to a more advanced stage.

Sorry I haven't posted a sad sad post like the most of you but rather chose to celebrate the victory which Allies achieved.

It's not about being sad. I am not 'sad' about all of my fellow countrymen that died on the beaches in Normandy. I care to show them respect by not making flippant wise ass comments.

One suggests beer and macaroni salad when your favourite team wins the Superbowl or the World Series, or when you get a promotion.

Humour and sarcasm have their place. But you obviously havent figured out where they are and arent appropriate.

Riiiight. Thank you Mr. Englishman-do-everything-by-the-stereotypical-society-established-morals-book.

I will apply to Oxford University, sleep with the right people, save a ton of cash so that one day I will be admitted there and taught the proper manners.

Just give me a fucking break and lay off my case will ya ?

And you go on bashing me that I constantly bitch and whine, for once look in a mirror you god damn hypocrate.