- an MG42 for Resistance

- A Mk19 automatic grenade launcher for West

- a mounted PK for East

- an AA water-cooled browning for Resistance

- an m2 with the gunner lying down for West

- an m2 mounted on top of a sandbag for West

therange.jpg

get it at http://www.fortress-ofp.com

nice, very nice, at last we don't have to worry about those boring "getpos" commands.

You're the best GFX707 smile.gif

link is down sad.gif

How about placing the MG on the side of your trench? It done IRL, and it would look cool.

I have fixed the link

stupid case sensitivity was the problem biggrin.gif

Gfx707 I think you disserve a gold medal for all of your wonderful efforts and work with these addons. biggrin.gif Thanks!

any way of making it so that when you "enter" the MG that's sitting on the ground, you're either sitting down behind it or laying down? That's how it's done without a trench or bunker to stand in.

Sitting image

Laying down prone image

Also, if there's a way to limit the fire arc in front of the weapon. You can't turn 180 degrees when laying down in front of a tripod, well, not quickly.

-=Die Alive=-

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Die Alive @ June 06 2002,20:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Also, if there's a way to limit the fire arc in front of the weapon.  You can't turn 180 degrees when laying down in front of a tripod, well, not quickly.<span id='postcolor'>

The firing arc is limited to 60 degrees either side on the short-stand m2s and the sandbag m2s so they dont rotate through the sandbags. I thought it was more realistic that way too, and encourages you to set up your defenses better biggrin.gif

exelent work GFX707, your the only person making good use of oxygen. Would it be possible to make someone lie down behind a short m2?

I am sure it is, I just need to find out what the animation for the soldier lying down would be called in the config.cpp

anyone know....? There is stuff like ManActM2Gunner, ManActPBRDriver etc. but I don't think there is one for a guy lying down

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (GFX707 @ June 07 2002,00:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I am sure it is, I just need to find out what the animation for the soldier lying down would be called in the config.cpp

anyone know....? There is stuff like ManActM2Gunner, ManActPBRDriver etc. but I don't think there is one for a guy lying down<span id='postcolor'>

Actually it's normally fired from a sitting position with the gunner's feet planted again the tripod or with the gunner kneeling or sitting cross-legged. I don't think any of those animations have the soldier with his hand sticking out like he's holding the weapon however. sad.gif The only one like that is for the door gunners and drivers, but those place him too high off the ground. sad.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Great work!

It's so nice to see someone actually using Oxygen... tounge.gif

Also nice to see a thread appear with a completed addon, instead of all these "in progress" posts...

for sitting position, try switchmove "CesnaPilot" in your cpp

pos.jpg

See what you could obtain with classic MG

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Miles Teg @ June 07 2002,18:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (GFX707 @ June 07 2002,00:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I am sure it is, I just need to find out what the animation for the soldier lying down would be called in the config.cpp

anyone know....? There is stuff like ManActM2Gunner, ManActPBRDriver etc. but I don't think there is one for a guy lying down<span id='postcolor'>

Actually it's normally fired from a sitting position with the gunner's feet planted again the tripod or with the gunner kneeling or sitting cross-legged. I don't think any of those animations have the soldier with his hand sticking out like he's holding the weapon however. sad.gif The only one like that is for the door gunners and drivers, but those place him too high off the ground. sad.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD><span id='postcolor'>

Last time i fired the M2 the "normal thing" was to lie down behind it like the man on the picture. If you are in a trench you would stand behind it. I don't know where you got your experience with the M2, but it's possible that they do it differently in different armies. I Denmark we lie down behind them.

I don't remember the tripods we used (M3 tripod) being able to extend that wide where it was low enough to fire while laying down.   But yeah we always fired it either from a firing position (like a trench) or sitting on the ground on our ass, or kneeling.  But then again I was also in the Army Reserve and in an engineering unit that did not fire nearly as often as an active duty infantry unit for example.  

I actually just checked the U.S. Army M2 manual (FM 23-65) and indeed it does show a prone position of firing.  I'd probably need some sandbags under me though because I don't think I could get my head aligned with the sites. But I'm also a small guy.  At any rate, for GFX 707, the manual is at:

http://www.adtdl.army.mil/cgi-bin/atdl.dll/fm/23-65/ch5.htm#s2p6

In that manual is also the sitting position I mentioned.

Oh..actually the main index page of the manual is at:

http://www.adtdl.army.mil/cgi-bin/atdl.dll/fm/23-65/toc.htm

Anyhoo... the main thing about firing any weapon is comfort followed by protection (firing it in a position that exposes you the least).

Any new realistic M2/M3 tripod combo would be welcome to me regardless if the gunner is in the prone or sitting.

Oh also...to GFX, PLEASE tone the fire rate of the AA M2!!!

Maybe I'm completely wrong, but that firing rate seems extremely high for a M2 unless the water-cooled version was especially designed to have a fire rate.  The standard M2 has a relatively slow firing rate overall.  Maybe a tiny bit faster then the BIS made one in OFP.  Anyhoo, all the info on the current M2 is in the manual.  

I just hope mainly that you'll tone down the firing rate because it makes mince meat out of helicopters airplanes.  It often kills aircraft faster then the Shilka when I use it!  

Also I noticed that the AAM2 units do not fire at all aircraft.  Only some aircraft. For example it fires at the A10LGB's but not at the reagular A10 with Maverick missles.  It also doesn't fire at the Blackhawk with the rockets or at the Mi-24Hind or Mi-17 HIP.    

It would be cool if you could correct this so where it would fire at all aircraft and perhaps make a West version.

Thank you GFX707 for all your hardwork!

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Well, I have had some help (thanks Kegetys) and I am working on getting an m2 with the gunner lying down behind it (sorry miles, but it seems to make sense more to have him lying because sitting isnt really that different from standing, and it seems that the common opinion would say lying) and once I have gone through the available animations and found one that looks suitable (see pic) and sorted out all the little details I will probably replace the 'short stand' m2 with this one or just add it to the pack, it can be used differently which is good. I might add a second position, I don't know how it will work but I would prefer a two-man weapon, probably won't be able to do it realistically though so I would forget I said that

M2NEW2.jpg

I can't really seem to control what the aa m2 will fire at, because it is an m2 and m2s will only fire at certain air units and I really don't know why. As to the fire rate I would have thought that it was water cooled so they could fire it faster, I mean I really don't see any other reason for cooling it that way, also in some of the pics I have been able to find there were a LOT of tracers so I thought that would suggest a much higher rate of fire, but I will tone it down, it doesnt really make much of an AA unit as it is just now though, which is ok but I don't really want to tone it down, but all in the name of realism I guess

edit - picture updated to show some progress biggrin.gif

chechnyamilarms35.jpg

Here are some ideas for Russian weapons. C'mon man dont leave us Ruskies hangin!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Miles Teg @ June 07 2002,20:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't remember the tripods we used (M3 tripod) being able to extend that wide where it was low enough to fire while laying down. But yeah we always fired it either from a firing position (like a trench) or sitting on the ground on our ass, or kneeling. But then again I was also in the Army Reserve and in an engineering unit that did not fire nearly as often as an active duty infantry unit for example.

I actually just checked the U.S. Army M2 manual (FM 23-65) and indeed it does show a prone position of firing. I'd probably need some sandbags under me though because I don't think I could get my head aligned with the sites. But I'm also a small guy. At any rate, for GFX 707, the manual is at:

http://www.adtdl.army.mil/cgi-bin/atdl.dll/fm/23-65/ch5.htm#s2p6

In that manual is also the sitting position I mentioned.<span id='postcolor'>

You can sit too, but then you would just make an easier target to the enemy without actually gaining anything from it. It's just a question of how high you make the tripod.

Another thing:

GFX - you can see the way you could combine your new tripod with your trenches in figuger 5-4 in Miles link. In a mobile war you wouldn't have the time required to make a pillbox such as the one in your bunkerpack 3 and it would also make you easier to spot as a target. You would instead use it as pictured in figure 5-4. So my suggestion is: Make another trench-element like the straight one with a M2 mounted on the side.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (GFX707 @ June 07 2002,22:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well, I have had some help (thanks Kegetys) and I am working on getting an m2 with the gunner lying down behind it (sorry miles, but it seems to make sense more to have him lying because sitting isnt really that different from standing, and it seems that the common opinion would say lying) and once I have gone through the available animations and found one that looks suitable (see pic) and sorted out all the little details I will probably replace the 'short stand' m2 with this one or just add it to the pack, it can be used differently which is good. I might add a second position, I don't know how it will work but I would prefer a two-man weapon, probably won't be able to do it realistically though so I would forget I said that

I can't really seem to control what the aa m2 will fire at, because it is an m2 and m2s will only fire at certain air units and I really don't know why. As to the fire rate I would have thought that it was water cooled so they could fire it faster, I mean I really don't see any other reason for cooling it that way, also in some of the pics I have been able to find there were a LOT of tracers so I thought that would suggest a much higher rate of fire, but I will tone it down, it doesnt really make much of an AA unit as it is just now though, which is ok but I don't really want to tone it down, but all in the name of realism I guess

edit - picture updated to show some progress biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Nah no problem that pic looks great. The tripod is a little small but I guess that's hard to fix. I think it's "good enough".

Overall from the pic it looks very cool.

You may very well be right about the AA gun. I guess what was I was trying to say is that it would be nice to have missions where you could fly though a tremendous amount of AA fire without an almost certain death. smile.gif That's one reason why I was hoping that someone would make some PK and M60 gunners that would shoot at helicopters and aircraft. More for a spectacular light show then for actual AA capability although I have had an UH60MG shot down by PK gunners before (on an older OFP version) while flying.

It just would make missions more exciting flying straight into a bunch of tracers. smile.gif As it is you have a high probablility of death so the wisest thing is to take the gun emplacements out with long range guided missles like the TOW or Maverick... but that's not as much fun as flying straight in. smile.gif

Oh...that reminds me.... when I was flying Martin UH-1 gunship (with the minigun) I didn't see the Resistance AA gun on the radar. I put a Resistance T-55 tank and that one showed up but not the AA gun. sad.gif You might look into that to make sure that the enemy aircraft actually "see" the AA guns otherwise they stand no chance at all. sad.gif

Anyhoo that might be something to check. Keep up the great work. These addons of yours are awesome!!!

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

I have updated the pack to include both the m2 with prone gunner and also a mounted PK for the soviets -

MPK1.jpg