Sign in to follow this  
nodunit

No nuclear threat please..

The ICBM's at the end of OFP were a great touch and added a sudden "OH crap!" factor to the campaign because by the that time things were going more or less better and it seemed the enemy was withdrawing and severly weakening.

However these days it seems you can't play a war game that doesn't have a nuclear threat, as if the developers thought that it was the best way to convey any form of distress in the storyline.

So please please PLEASE don't follow this idea it's lost it's sting and it's not amazing anymore nor does the announcement get a "Oh crap!" reaction but rather "Oh joy ANOTHER nuke."

It was said Nuclear weapons were abandoned on Arma's WW3 battlefield but we still don't know what Objective Omega is all about. Might very likely be some super weapon

Oooh if the super weapon turned out to be the rail gun tank then that would be a pretty neat spin.

But would suck storywise :D

My bet is some EMP or missile stuff. Or maybe some bio/chemical weapons!? (Introduce gasmasks to Arma? ;))

As we speak about it: What kind of weapon systems could you test on an island like Limnos which is still inhabited?

Edited by PurePassion

Hmm..well story wise it depends on how they go about it, anything can make a great story it just depends on how you go about it.

hehe :D well they established a major camp there so they propably don't want to pulverize everything ^^

Well that depends on if you want it to remain inhabited if you catch my drift eheheh.

What idiot would test super secret weapons on an inhabited island anyway, best possible cover for espionage, especially if there is a resistance movement.

that's just gamelogic :rolleyes: :D

however this

well-guarded military secret
could also be some ressource/engineering/technology breaktrough thingy, especially because the Taskforce Magnitude consists of Researchers aswell. (Reverse-engineering maybe?)

Still not a good idea to make those kinds of operations there ^^

Edited by PurePassion

What idiot would test super secret weapons on an inhabited island anyway, best possible cover for espionage, especially if there is a resistance movement.

Aw nuts you got me before the edit, curses!

Oooh if the super weapon turned out to be the rail gun tank then that would be a pretty neat spin.

Snaaaaake!!! :p

I advocate for no nukes mainly because nukes have never been done well in this game at any sort of realistic level. :p That is just me being anal though.

I advocate for no nukes mainly because nukes have never been done well in this game at any sort of realistic level. :p That is just me being anal though.

railgun capable to launch nuclear warheads

Remember THAT! - we will see a Shagohod like tank :p

Actually, I would love to see chemical weapons. Finally some use for them god-damned gas masks.

I thought the Shagohad was using itself as the rail so to speak, going at great speeds which is why it required the runway as opposed to Rex which had an in built rail gun.

Oh chemical weapons is much less used! And that idea scares me more than nukes because you might never know where the deadly gas is >.>

They are propably producing or working on a "super weapon" on Limnos:

Evidence:

A small group of Special Forces and Researchers [...]
was transferred from active service until drafted to the newly formed Combat Technology Research Group [...]
Col. Vahid Namdar's transfer to Limnos suggests an ongoing important military operation or facility development. [...]
General Ostad Javeed Attar – research director [...]

from Arma 3.com

Question:Why on Limnos?

Edited by PurePassion

Question:Why on Limnos?

Answer:

• Superweapons to test? Check.
  • Waging war on Europe and Northern America? Check.
  • An island with no constant military presence? Check.
  • Said island is located in a way it would allow easy naval access to Europe? Czech.
  • Want to use superweapons to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women? God-damned Check :yay:

This is just my opinion, but still.

Maybe something like a secret military R&D center was build on Limnos before the war and some very interesting+important discovery and developments are now in the "wrong" hands?

Maybe the whole campaign is just a well-planned suicide mission to distract or slowdown the OPFOR?

Or maybe Iranian forces have found a Ring and now building a new army of Uruk-Hai. Or they just found another superweapon against the Great Evil, Borg, The Force... :p

Didn't a section in the ArmA 3 site say that the nuclear gloves came off. That implies that the big N bombs/missile were used.

Honestly that is the only way I see Iran stomping NATO in Europe.

Secret weapon wise, I think the rail/coilgun weapon platform is the main reasson the CRTG is on Lemnos.

Edited by Maio

I'm guessing rail gun type supergun kinda like Saddam tried to build in Basra a while back. Either that or some kind of seismic weapon (Operation Magnitude). Is Limnos volcanic?

Or maybe it's all a sham. Maybe they've built a dummy research facility in order to distract NATO resources and possibly even lure a large NATO contingent into a trap. I think that would make a really awesome story.

Edited by bradp191

I'm guessing rail gun type supergun kinda like Saddam tried to build in Basra a while back. Either that or some kind of seismic weapon (Operation Magnitude). Is Limnos volcanic?

Or maybe it's all a sham. Maybe they've built a dummy research facility in order to distract NATO resources and possibly even lure a large NATO contingent into a trap. I think that would make a really awesome story.

Interesting idea.

I hope like hell nukes play some part in the storyline, doesn't matter to me if they are in the game or not, but having them in the storyline is crucial. If BIS seriously thinks the Iranians could overun Israel without one being dropped, I think I'd have to stop worshiping Maruk as the new Messiah who has saved us from Yahweh and will lead us into battle against the Theatans.

(As I doubt anybody will get the reference, it's a joke.)

Edited by Darkhorse 1-6

This is of course assuming that every military in Arma is an exact mirror of our universe. Post nuclear isn't so bad, since it's not trying to act as an adrenaline inducing piece but rather set the tone.

It would be like 'Steal the car', except with a fancy tank instead of a UAZ. :p

Getting wiped out by one in Harvest Red wasn't s bad, was it?

Getting wiped out by one in Harvest Red wasn't s bad, was it?

I've never played an Arma campaign (at least all the way through)... hehe. :p