Sign in to follow this  
Maio

ArmAverse | The community fan fiction thread

The text is based on a fake CIA information brief, from a Ghost Recon Future Soldier viral marketing site, about a Russian special forces unit called Special Training Unit 500, and unofficially named Bodark (Russian for Werewolf).

I know I am being nitpicky again, but there is no such word as "bodark" in Russian. The word for werewolf is "oboroten'" (or more archaic "vurdalak" but it's rarely used nowadays). Just in case if you or someone else in this thread would like to use Russian word for werewolf in his/her fan fiction, I wouldn't recommend using this "bodark"-nonsense.

Also, I glanced at that site you're talking about, and I can say that the guy who wrote these files has no idea what he's talking about. With one exception - personal names are rather authentic.

As for Russia, Iran and EU relationships, I think the most logical behavior for us would be to remain neutral, while covertly (or openly, if threat is too high) helping the weaker side, in order to prevent too much strengthening of one of the sides - akin to politics of the British Empire on continental Europe in XIX century. Same goes for China and its adversaries, be it states of the Central Asia, South Korea, Japan or USA. Not a single state would be happy to have a great power right next to its border, even if this power is an ally - after all, alliances are temporary, but threat is constant and the more powerful neighbor represents the more powerful threat. Besides, even an ally, if it's located close enough, will try to extend its influence on neighboring states or even within our own country, which is a direct threat to the state security. After all, we have fought five wars with Persia in between XVII and XX centuries, and had two military operations against them in XX century.

Personally i don't like to see Russians as bad guys.

It seems to be recurring cliche that the Russians are on the side of Iran or China or whatever asian/middle-eastern state is potrayed as the bad guys.

What role did the Russians have in the "Jeruselem Peace accord".?

I agree with Corvinus that the Russians would remain neutral for their interests.

„I suspect there´s more than one too.“ ...well so much for that. „One wouldn´t be enough to turn us off in one go. So where are the others?“ the lieutenants voice faded to a whisper, as he peered trough the CLU´s high magnification optics. „Shit.“

Where is the rest :) ?

I know I am being nitpicky again, but there is no such word as "bodark" in Russian. The word for werewolf is "oboroten'" (or more archaic "vurdalak" but it's rarely used nowadays). Just in case if you or someone else in this thread would like to use Russian word for werewolf in his/her fan fiction, I wouldn't recommend using this "bodark"-nonsense.

Also, I glanced at that site you're talking about, and I can say that the guy who wrote these files has no idea what he's talking about. With one exception - personal names are rather authentic.

As for Russia, Iran and EU relationships, I think the most logical behavior for us would be to remain neutral, while covertly (or openly, if threat is too high) helping the weaker side, in order to prevent too much strengthening of one of the sides - akin to politics of the British Empire on continental Europe in XIX century. Same goes for China and its adversaries, be it states of the Central Asia, South Korea, Japan or USA. Not a single state would be happy to have a great power right next to its border, even if this power is an ally - after all, alliances are temporary, but threat is constant and the more powerful neighbor represents the more powerful threat. Besides, even an ally, if it's located close enough, will try to extend its influence on neighboring states or even within our own country, which is a direct threat to the state security. After all, we have fought five wars with Persia in between XVII and XX centuries, and had two military operations against them in XX century.

Oh I wasn't including this "bodark" in my fanfic. I just based it off of Ghost Recon's Bodark. Oh, and bodark is a Russian word for werewolf, just not a commonly used name... Don't believe me, go look up "werewolf bodark" or "shapeshifter bodark" and you'll see what I'm talking about. Stuff 10+ years ago saying bodark is Russian for werewolf. At the very least, Ghost Recon didn't make the word.

Edited by antoineflemming

Where is the rest :) ?

Never got written because I took another look at the location in google earth and found that for any kind of military advance, it didn´t make any sense. Plus, the location of the OP is bollocks, they maybe have a kilometer view down the valley on a four hundred meters wide strip of the border and the hill on the other side.

I might write up something new at some point, if Inspiration strikes.

These are really intended as little mood-bites to give a feel of how the troops on one or the other side are living prior to the conflict kicking off.

Here is BI own take on Iran's relationship with its large neighbours China and Russia:

"Flooded with profits from the rich export markets of a resource-thirsty SE-Asia and the rising price of oil, bolstered by strong ties with China and strategic entente with Russia, Iran sought to expand its influence."

Entente, meaning a diplomatic "understanding"... The nations follows the same politics and doesn't act on its own without consulting the other nation.

With all my respect!Are you guys NUTS!?

Brazil and Venezuela under iran influence?! Are you CRAZY!?

Who is Iran near Brazil?

You should do the following corrections:

Brazil - Neutral (Its a defense-minded country with its own interests.)

Venezuela - Russian influence.

Colombia - NATO influence

Chile - NATO influence ( They even bought Leopards 2 from Germany )

Peru - Neutral/NATO influence

Argentina - Can't really figure it's future allignment *

Bolivia - Russian influence

Paraguay - Neutral

Uruguay - Neutral

I known that because i'm brazilian and i known the world politics and south american politics and society. Correct these if you want something more accurate and closest to the probable.

Edited by Selva

You realize the armaverse is not reality right? The mere fact that Iran has become what seems like a superpower is already rediculous.

Also, Germany is nowhere near Argentina and Argentina seemed to sympathize with Germany during WW2, so...

Doesn't mean its incredibly stupid. I would have been satisfied with a REALISTIC faction setup with Russia & Expanded Eurasian union vs. China or NATO. It would actually give realistic weapons that are already being developed instead of made up garbage like Iranian Mi-48 and Czech L-159 (Why would you combat trainers as a superpower against a stealth fighter jet)? Even if you did, Yak-130 would be a better choice.

With all my respect!Are you guys NUTS!?

Brazil and Venezuela under iran influence?! Are you CRAZY!?

Who is Iran near Brazil?

You should do the following corrections:

Brazil - Neutral

Venezuela - Russian influence.

Colombia - NATO influence

Chile - NATO influence.

I known that because i'm brazilian and i known the world politics and south american politics and society. Please, you have offended my entire ARMA2OA clan by making a such "heretic" south america geo-political 2035 map, even it's just fantasy.

Except that there are several anti-Western Latin American countries that have strengthened ties with Iran. Like Venezuela. Brazil has as strong if not stronger ties to Iran than it does to the US or UK. If you're that offended, get off the internet!

Edited by antoineflemming

Except that there are several anti-Western Latin American countries that have strengthened ties with Iran. Like Venezuela. If you're that offended, get off the internet!

Iran has no real influence in Latin America. Why? The only thing that they can come together on is "We all hate the US" and maybe oil. Everything else, Russia's terf.

Iran has no real influence in Latin America. Why? The only thing that they can come together on is "We all hate the US" and maybe oil. Everything else, Russia's terf.

Fine, it'd be Russian influence. But definitely wouldn't be neutral. If Brazilians have a problem with that they need to protest their country's bilateral relations with Russia.

Czech L-159 (Why would you combat trainers as a superpower against a stealth fighter jet)?.

You know the game isn't done yet? Who said Iran/OPFOR is getting only L-159's?

You realize the armaverse is not reality right? The mere fact that Iran has become what seems like a superpower is already rediculous.

Also, Germany is nowhere near Argentina and Argentina seemed to sympathize with Germany during WW2, so...

Not because it is fiction that has to be illogical or out of the possible. :)

I've said that because i known how south-america allignment may look unified or confuse.

Since i love geo-politics and i live discussing it with my college matesm i can say to you guys that those corrections are the closest to the probable.

Good map btw.

You know the game isn't done yet? Who said Iran/OPFOR is getting only L-159's?

Why would they even have a outdated trainer in the year 2035? The Yak-130 seems like a better solution all round, because it integrates fifth generation technology and is a candidate to replace the Su-25. Plus Czech republic is not in Russia's sphere of influence, and given the plot it seems like Russia is backing greater Iran.

I think they're just giving them shit they've already modelled to save money.

Edited by Kamov

Why would they even have a outdated trainer in the year 2035? The Yak-130 seems like a better solution all round, because it integrates fifth generation technology and is a candidate to replace the Su-25. Plus Czech republic is not in Russia's sphere of influence, and given the plot it seems like Russia is backing greater Iran.

I think they're just giving them shit they've already modelled to save money.

1. Because 5'th gen technologies from the real world have 0 impact on how the plane would function in-game.

2. The ArmA timelines does not follow our timeline.

3. You answered your own question with your last statement.

1. Because 5'th gen technologies from the real world have 0 impact on how the plane would function in-game.

2. The ArmA timelines does not follow our timeline.

3. You answered your own question with your last statement.

It doesn't matter, its about giving realistic equipment and not hashed together because we're to lazy to make new things.

It doesn't matter, its about giving realistic equipment and not hashed together because we're to lazy to make new things.

I specifically remember going over this topic multiple times when talking about just the Merkava and the MATV. (That doesn't count the arguments I missed that covered other various vehicles, weapons, etc that I didn't see/ purposefully forgot that I read because I wasted how many minutes of my life on an argument that has no basis at this point in time.) Have the people that have been complaining the loudest over the past year, ever stopped and considered that maybe these are just placeholders that BI is using right now and they will show us more of what they have done when the game is closer to completion. I mean, why would they show us a half modeled jet that hasn't been textured yet, or a tank that is still in the design stages because they want to get the tank just right for this time period. So many posters act as if BI should be showing us everything that they are planning, but I personally think it would be better to get some surprise when I open up the editor and check out all the things that they left out, just so we would be surprised. There is also a lot of time left before the game is released where BI can introduce to new technology and weapons. Just have a little patience

I specifically remember going over this topic multiple times when talking about just the Merkava and the MATV. (That doesn't count the arguments I missed that covered other various vehicles, weapons, etc that I didn't see/ purposefully forgot that I read because I wasted how many minutes of my life on an argument that has no basis at this point in time.) Have the people that have been complaining the loudest over the past year, ever stopped and considered that maybe these are just placeholders that BI is using right now and they will show us more of what they have done when the game is closer to completion. I mean, why would they show us a half modeled jet that hasn't been textured yet, or a tank that is still in the design stages because they want to get the tank just right for this time period. So many posters act as if BI should be showing us everything that they are planning, but I personally think it would be better to get some surprise when I open up the editor and check out all the things that they left out, just so we would be surprised. There is also a lot of time left before the game is released where BI can introduce to new technology and weapons. Just have a little patience

I wouldn't mind being shown a half finished jet or a tank that isn't quite finished yet. It shows the developers care about their community and are eager to present their work to us. Its only good PR, its not like they have competition when it comes to ArmA.