Sign in to follow this  
mrcash2009

'Rogue websites' - bill introduced in US House

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.64f335a63a0a239e61cf0891c65a0c44.a81&show_article=1

A front end/back-door policy to further clamp down and blacklist websites deemed "not suitable" by authorities?

Creating site ban lists for ISP level, interesting how far the overall banning process will be measured by. For example sites searched out (for other reasons government level) that may not come directly under fire but this policy is then in place to slam a blacklist on them by finding reasons to do so, seems a very open blanket policy to use in different ways than just the front end it claims.

One interesting point that's been made, but needs more clarification is:

website only has to be “accused†of doing something the government deems unlawful to be blacklisted, there is no legal process whatsoever.

Thoughts? Edited by mrcash2009

I can't wait. I'm going to accuse Codemasters of illegal activity, and have their website blocked.

Abs

And EA!

No seriously, the freedom of the internet should remain untouched

Get your pointing fingers all warmed up! 'cause there's gonna be an internet culling!

J'accuse, foxnews.com!

We should accuse the website of the agency that made the bill.

Hi all

Dems love their censorship.

Apparently not as much as the Republican House Judiciary Committee chairman Lamar Smith, who originated the bill

http://www.statesman.com/business/lamar-smith-bill-targets-online-piracy-1939648.html

but don't worry Democratic party members will be voting against that part of the bill, because they are liberal, the word comes from liberty which means freedom.

Kind regards walker

Edited by walker

I can't wait. I'm going to accuse Codemasters of illegal activity, and have their website blocked.

Yes the development of Dragon Rising and Red River were apallingly heinous crimes.

Hi all

Apparently not as much as the Republican House Judiciary Committee chairman Lamar Smith, who originated the bill

http://www.statesman.com/business/lamar-smith-bill-targets-online-piracy-1939648.html

but don't worry Democratic party members will be voting against that part of the bill, because they are liberal, the word comes from liberty which means freedom.

Kind regards walker

Surely not the two that support the bill, you can always just leave them out of the story though.

If the powers are used within the context of the legislation to target piracy of film, television shows and music and the sale of counterfeit goods, I have no problem. The problems arise when the legislation is abused by law enforcement or it encounters grey areas.

For example a site that is 99% clean but someone posts something that infringes US copyright. Does the whole site get shut down or do they get a warning first about the perceived infraction? Law makers need to get the procedures and safe guards right and think through how all this will work practically.

What if websites start shifting address daily with subtle repetitive name changes. How will law enforcement keep up? By the time you shut down fakemovie-a.com they are using fakemovie-b.com.

Sadly anything relating to the web or technology has a high risk of failure because the people involved in law making don't understand it.

I wasn't aware there was a problem with the existing US politics thread.

Closing.