Sign in to follow this  
sarcasticpcgamer

spelling bugs

English help is needed in the training missions text.

In shutdown training mission, for instance the word practice is incorrectly spelled as practise.

http://www.world-english.org/practise_practice.htm

A quote from the above site: In many parts of the English speaking world (UK, Ireland, Australia, Canada, and South Africa) “practice†is the noun, “practise†the verb. However, in the U.S.A the spelling “practice†is more often used for both the noun and the verb. Contrary to popular belief a significant minority of the American population also observe the distinction. If you are not sure about what a verb or noun is, it might be safer to just use the spelling "practice", as many Americans do!

Edited by BadWeather

http://www.world-english.org/practise_practice.htm

A quote from the above site: In many parts of the English speaking world (UK, Ireland, Australia, Canada, and South Africa) “practice†is the noun, “practise†the verb. However, in the U.S.A the spelling “practice†is more often used for both the noun and the verb. Contrary to popular belief a significant minority of the American population also observe the distinction. If you are not sure about what a verb or noun is, it might be safer to just use the spelling "practice", as many Americans do!

tenchars of +1

I did notice the odd language issues here and there, though.

Edited by Max Power

The website that BadWeather links to is wrong. It's as simple as that. In the UK, we never use 'practise'.

Is it practise or practice?

There is always the difficulty of recognising American English spellings and British English spellings with words like these.

Whether we like it or not, much of our language is now heavily influenced by American English spellings. We use both forms in British English – one is a verb (doing word) and the other a noun (thing).

Practise

This is the verb ‘to practise’ and also the adjective from that verb (bullet 4 below).

Examples:

I practise the piano.

You are practising golf.

The doctor has been practising for 10 years.

He is a practised man.

Practice

This is the noun ‘the practice’ (as in ‘piano practice’ and ‘a doctor’s practice’).

Examples:

I have done my football practice.

Without enough practice, she would not get better at English.

Practice makes perfect.

She visits her local doctor’s practice.

See also: Is it license or licence?

Certain sets of words follow group rules of English grammar. Many rules of grammar are quite mathematical, with groups of words falling into building-blocks which all act the same way.

For example, the spelling rules are the same for ‘practice’, ‘licence’ and ‘advice’: the noun has a ‘c’, while the verb has an ‘s’.

One way of remembering this is that the word ‘noun’ comes before the word ‘verb’ in the dictionary; likewise ‘c’ comes before ‘s’, so the nouns are ‘practice/licence/advice’ and the verbs are ‘practise/license/advise’.

In fact, the confusion arises with ‘practice’ and ‘licence’ mainly because they sound the same with the ‘c’ or the ‘s’. However, with ‘advice’ and ‘advise’, there is a shift in sound, so there is no confusion at all. We can use this to our advantage: another way of knowing which to use is to replace the ‘practice’ or ‘licence’ word you want with ‘advice’ or ‘advise’ – this will tell you whether you need the ‘c’ or the ‘s’ spelling.

So, in the following phrase, let’s say you are unsure which to write:

I do not like this ‘practise/practice’.

Replace the word you want with ‘advice’ or ‘advise’.

I do not like this ‘advice’.

So – you will need:

I do not like this ‘practice’.

Source: http://www.future-perfect.co.uk/grammartips/grammar-tip-practise-practice.asp

Google will come up with several thousands other references, as example this one aswell: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/practise

@sarcasticpcgamer

You're not the user "Randy" from Yahoo!Answers by chance?

Contrary to any online BS, there is only 1 one way to spell one word...

*BUZZ-SOUND* Wrong, but thanks for playing. Maybe more luck next time.

Mods please close this... as for the Couch forum warriors.. (gotta love em...) sorry but everything you read on the internet is unfortunately (i know its hard to hear this) untrue. I mean seriously posting a wiki as a fact....

What i see in that wiki is this..

----------------------------------------------------------------

English

THIS WORD IS 100% BULLSHIT AND SHOULD BE REMOVED

[edit] Alternative forms

Might as well axe me some other questions since some people talk like that.. i guess axe = ask

practice (standard for noun but incorrect for verb outside US; almost universal for both in American English)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

and i agree, sorry but NO FORM of English changes just because you are elsewhere, that fact alone should be contemplated.

I guess axe = ask then since we know some people talk like that over here in Cheecago

Edited by sarcasticpcgamer

as for the Couch forum warriors.. (gotta love em...) sorry but everything you read on the internet is unfortunately (i know its hard to hear this) untrue.

Well, i do not believe blindly everything that i read in the internet. But tell me, what is more likely to be true: several millions websites all around the world that confirm that it is either practice (noun) or practise (verb) or you, just saying that it is wrong?

P.S. I'm not at all surprised you're US citizen. Typical US behaviour. USA rulez, doesn't it?

:EDITH:

Don't trust wiki, eh? How about Cambridge University?: http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/practise_1?q=practise

Edited by [FRL]Myke

Myke;2039023']Well' date=' i do not believe blindly everything that i read in the internet. But tell me, what is more likely to be true: several millions websites all around the world that confirm that it is either practice (noun) or practise (verb) or you, just saying that it is wrong?

P.S. I'm not at all surprised you're US citizen. Typical US behaviour. USA rulez, doesn't it?

Don't trust wiki, eh? How about Cambridge University?: [url']http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/practise_1?q=practise[/url]

Einstein was wrong.... Actually, its your attitude. For some reason you need to insert british english into the norm.. instead of just adapting like you should

And yes, USA does rule, and you know it, hence the jealousy

17 posts and you come out with that statement, your gonna be popular...:rolleyes:

Contrary to any online BS, there is only 1 one way to spell one word...

You know the difference between a noun and a verb, yes? So obviously that would make it TWO words, whether they are spelled the same or not.

The developers are european, they've learnt english in europe, therefore you may have to expand your mind a little bit and accept that they spell the odd word differently than you.

I guess axe = ask then since we know some people talk like that over here in Cheecago

While we are contemplating, contemplate this: It was Europeans that invented the language, England spells the verb practise, therefore the whole of america are 'some guys over there in chicago'. OR, you could accept that languages are organic, and different dialects have different conventions- some are even the official languages of entire countries.

Edited by Max Power

Myke;2039023']

P.S. I'm not at all surprised you're US citizen. Typical US behaviour.

Explain to me what exactly is "typical US behavior"? Is this your "typical German behavior"? Ign'ant' date=' bro.

This is pretty obviously goddamn wrong. There IS such thing as british and american English, e.g. "colour vs. color".

So should i speak Portuguese here and everything would be okay?

Just put in práctica... everything will be fine then... ironically everyone will understand, at least its a real word.. not one to help uncomprehensible terms comprehended correctly by having the same word spelled differently to help the ignorant.

---------- Post added at 05:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 AM ----------

sorry didnt mean to come off.. Flippant, or whatever

Edited by sarcasticpcgamer

Oh sarcasticpcgamer, I feel sorry for you mate.

Since everything in the Internet is a lie, why are you even here?

Could you tell all of us ignorant internet people where to get well informed?

(BTW, in Portuguese is spelled "Prática", not "Práctica" but I guess me, the dictionary and the internet are also wrong)

_neo_

Edited by neokika

@ryguy

you have PM.

@sarcasticpcgamer

get your historical facts right, then come back to argue again. Your local history teacher might help you for that matter.

Maybe accepting this would be a start: USA != World

Well, the country i live in managed to have a beneficiary balance, opposite to US's deficitary balance. So, "we" didn't lose our triple A credit rating. Also crime rate is far below US rate, same goes for unemployment. Talking about jealousy, eh?

Edited by [FRL]Myke

So should i speak Portuguese here and everything would be okay?

No. It's an english only forum.

Just put in práctica... everything will be fine then... ironically everyone will understand, at least its a real word.. not one to help uncomprehensible terms comprehended correctly by having the same word spelled differently to help the ignorant.

Are you saying that you could not understand 'practise', but you could understand 'practice'? Surely you realize that these arguments you are making are nonsense? Just recognize that the passage isn't written in American English and you'll be okay.

Personally I'd prefer if BI used American English since it has much more logical and compact spelling compared to British.

Here is a comparison written by me.

US

I woke up with a sore ass this morning and I shaved my mustache. I sat in my cozy kitchen and ate a leftover donut (the flavor wasn't savory anymore) as I read about a hauler strike at the aluminum mine nearby. The low paycheck caused a big furor among the laborers. I lit my cig, covering it from the draft of air as I analyzed the somber news. Aging pedophiles on the loose, Russia mobilizing to annex a neighboring country, a sizable medieval theater burned down, a biased councilor was ostracized under false pretenses, and 300 kilograms of erasers were dumped on a highway. All these tidbits of info left me desensitized. In the end I leaped out of my three-story window, plowing through the air like an airplane and crashing into a chili dog stand. I should have been a gynecologist.

UK

I woke up with a sore arse this morning and I shaved my moustache. I sat in my cosy kitchen and ate a leftover doughnut (the flavour wasn't savoury any more) as I read about a haulier strike at the aluminium mine near by. The low pay cheque caused a big furore among the labourers. I lighted my fag, covering it from the draught of air as I analysed the sombre news. Ageing paedophiles on the loose, Russia mobilising to annexe a neighbouring country, a sizeable mediaeval theatre burned down, a biassed councillor was ostracised under false pretences, and 300 kilogrammes of rubbers were dumped on a motorway. All these titbits of info left me desensitised. In the end I leapt out of my three-storey window, ploughing through the air like an aeroplane and crashing into a chilli dog stand. I should have been a gynaecologist.

Edited by Celery

I lighted my fag,

Slight correction, we wouldn't say lighted in UK English. It'd be 'lit'.

Personally I'd prefer if BI used American English since it has much more logical and compact spelling compared to British.

Here is a comparison written by me.

UK

I woke up with a sore arse this morning and I shaved my moustache. I sat in my cosy kitchen and ate a leftover doughnut (the flavour wasn't savoury any more) as I read about a haulier strike at the aluminium mine near by. The low pay cheque caused a big furore among the labourers. I lighted my fag, covering it from the draught of air as I analysed the sombre news. Ageing paedophiles on the loose, Russia mobilising to annexe a neighbouring country, a sizeable mediaeval theatre burned down, a biassed councillor was ostracised under false pretences, and 300 kilogrammes of rubbers were dumped on a motorway. All these titbits of info left me desensitised. In the end I leapt out of my three-storey window, ploughing through the air like an aeroplane and crashing into a chilli dog stand. I should have been a gynaecologist..

A couple of spelling mistakes mate:

I woke up with a sore arse this morning and I shaved my moustache. I sat in my cosy kitchen and ate a leftover doughnut (the flavour wasn't savoury any more) as I read about a haulier strike at the aluminium mine nearby. The low pay cheque caused a big furore among the labourers. I lit my fag, covering it from the draught of air as I analysed the sombre news. Ageing paedophiles on the loose, Russia mobilising to annexe a neighbouring country, a sizeable mediaeval theatre burned down, a biased councillor was ostracised under false pretences, and 300 kilogrammes of rubbers were dumped on a motorway. All these titbits of info left me desensitised. In the end I leapt out of my three-storey window, ploughing through the air like an aeroplane and crashing into a chilli dog stand. I should have been a gynaecologist...

But we are both Biased / Biassed!!! :p

how about making a list with every mistake we can find and then send it to the team so they can be propperly fixed before release? :)

Friends, Romans, Community, lend me your ears!

I come to bury this thread, not to praise it.

The evil that members do lives after them,

The good is oft interred with their bones;

So let it be with this thread.