Sign in to follow this  
destroystheovik

Squad Management

Let's say I've got 20 units in my squad and I'm the leader. Instead of giving the 10 units i want to become alpha squad a different color like it is now i should be able to merge them into one unit like in the high command bar to save space. That way i can have 2 squads with 8 soldiers in each plus 4 soldiers who take individual orders.That i would mean that i only have 6 bars at the bottom showing my 2 squads and 4 other soldiers. It would be much easier and user friendly instead of having to press F12/F11 all the time if you got more then 10 soldiers. The F11/F12 clicking is the reason why i only want to command a maximum of two fireteams. Rifle squads just annoy the shit out of me...

I wish it was possible to group units under one Fx key.

eg,

F1

Self

F2

- MG(2)

- Assistant MG (4)

F3

- Grenadier (3)

- Rifle (6)

- Rifle (7)

- Rifle (8)

F4

- Marksman (5)

etc

I wish it was possible to group units under one Fx key.

eg,

F1

Self

F2

- MG(2)

- Assistant MG (4)

F3

- Grenadier (3)

- Rifle (6)

- Rifle (7)

- Rifle (8)

F4

- Marksman (5)

etc

Well no: Sometimes I give an order to Team Blue ( a 3 man team)

But sometimes I wish to give an order to just one member iof team Blue such as Jimmy at F4.

Under you're suggestion we would lose that.

-

---------- Post added at 09:43 ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 ----------

Solution: Add a toggle key.

I am commanding 8 men so there are a total of 9 of us on the map.

There will be 9 soldier icons on my screen.

“2†commands 3,4 and 5. “6†commands 7,8 and 9

I press the toggle key and now I can only see “1’, “2†and “6†on my screen.

I press the toggle key and I can see all 9 icons again.

If I give an order to any man he carries out that order. If I give an order to “2†or “6†their teams carry out the order.

-

-

I agree, the ability to control a number of soldiers at once easily would be very welcome.

I used the team colour system very effectively in OFP and would gladly do so again but for some reason it has been changed so much it is only a fraction of the use it was then, it may even be a hinderance.

For instance before you pressed 9,9 (assign colour) and then 9 just once to pick the number of the team colour you want. Now, bizarely, the first time you press 9 you get the assign colour menu and you have to press 9 twice to get to the select menu. Not ideal in the middle of a firefight.

Then, even if you do manage to select the team moveing them becomes awkward. You can't even use the map, they don't respond to any placement orders you make using it.

EDIT: Is that how it actually works in game Mr. Charles or your suggestion of how it could work?

EDIT: Is that how it actually works in game Mr. Charles or your suggestion of how it could work?

Thats how it actually works in game for him. I use a different approach.

My keyboard has 12 extra keys: G1 - G12.

G1 selects Team Red and G7 selects Team Blue.

But none of that addresses the issue of the original poster.

-

-

I give orders to separate men more than I do to colour teams.

I also avoid commanding 20 men units since that is like really too many.

I give orders to separate men more than I do to colour teams.

I also avoid commanding 20 men units since that is like really too many.

In my opinion that's the most effective approach. I find commanding any more than 3 fireteams encumbering, especially in urban areas.

In my opinion that's the most effective approach. I find commanding any more than 3 fireteams encumbering, especially in urban areas.

That makes sense. I don't remember where I read this, but apparently having three direct subordinates to keep track of is the ideal number.

I'm over-simplifying it here of course, but I believe the US military mostly follows this rule: three platoons per company, three squads per platoon, each squad leader commands three fire teams, each fire team leader has three subordinates.

Seems like 3 is the magic number. ;)