Sign in to follow this  
stayalive

Controlling the Aircraft

How do you know where the wind is coming from if you don't have those flag poles? Are there any cues which you can use?

just so you know landing is possible you can check out a video of someone that frapsed me flying on youtube here

That last part with the other pilot was hilarious :D Oh god oh god, I'm SOOORRYYYYY!!

Wind direction is shown on the right-hand gauge with the blue arrow (use ^h to access the gauges). Check out the manual which came with the beta.

you can tell by how the helicopter handles while hovering, if you've got enough experience with how real helicopters react to wind you can pick up the cues from this game such as the helicopter wants to pitch foward or keeps moving foward with slighty nose up attitude you have a tailwind, if the helicopter slows down more rapidly or the ground speed seems lower than normal during landing then you probably have a headwind, or if the helicopter tends to drift to either of the side then you have crosswind etc. but in this game it doesn't even matter because there's no vortex ring state and no effect on helicopter while going into and getting out of ETL-effective translational lift.

i personally have a saitek x65, with CH pedals and track IR.

---------- Post added at 01:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 PM ----------

just so you know landing is possible you can check out a video of someone that frapsed me flying on youtube here

...The youtube video...lol. I'm somewhere in between...although I find the MD500 easier to fly than the Huey...at least for now...yes, i know...more practice :cool:

Very nice flying BTW.

Edited by stayalive

How do you know where the wind is coming from if you don't have those flag poles? Are there any cues which you can use?

Yes there are. Well at least near the ground you can see some dust moving with the wind. Unfortunatelly I don't know how it is high in the air.

yes the huey for sure is more of a handful to fly, especially with the rotor disc tilting foward in neutral stick configuration so during speed reduction and flares or hovering it requires more nose up attitude. also the big ass cockpit panels infront that reduces foward and down visibility makes it really difficult to fly precisely without a large amount of practice. plus the right rolling tendency is even greater and the rotor system seems to take damage more easy.

Edited by MD500Enthusiast

wind speed and direction can change from different altittudes so depending on height of the clouds that might not be too useful, unless bis didn't program that in there.

Ingame it seems to work. I placed a windsock for a mission in the editor and everytime I checked cloudmovement and windsock indicated the same wind direction.

Thanks for the wind tips. I'll check out the manual, I didn't know there was one bundled with the beta.

Indeed the Huey certainly seems harder to fly compared to the light helicopter. It's so hard to get it in a good hover. And the right roll tendency is just, well, a lot.

You also have to remember that when a helicopter pilot says add right pedal, he is not saying " go back to center, and then add right pedal "

It's hard to get this concept with a twist stick joystick. Its even hard to get this concept with self-centering pedals like CH, Saitek, or Logitech.

By a suggestion of another forum member ( sorry, can't remember who) I use the toe brake axis' of my CH pedals for rudder control because it's closer to the toe pressure feeling in a real helicopter. It's still not quite right though, for obvious reasons:rolleyes:

You also have to remember that when a helicopter pilot says add right pedal, he is not saying " go back to center, and then add right pedal "

It's hard to get this concept with a twist stick joystick. Its even hard to get this concept with self-centering pedals like CH, Saitek, or Logitech.

By a suggestion of another forum member ( sorry, can't remember who) I use the toe brake axis' of my CH pedals for rudder control because it's closer to the toe pressure feeling in a real helicopter. It's still not quite right though, for obvious reasons:rolleyes:

actually i wouldn't use the toe pressure one, because you can unknowingly press both pedals at the same time very easily. where as in a real helicopter you can basically rest your feet on the pedals and apply pressure when needed. plus the gas/break type system adds strain to your feet because of the awkward angel your feet is put into.

I suggest that users with twist handle joystics, use autotrim ON. (game difficulty settings)

Just wanted to add that Heli is perfectly controlable with twist stick. I use Saitek Av8r and have no problem with that. But above is good suggestion for people who have troubles controlling heli with such joysticks.

A small tip: I use manual pedals trim on hat stick, helps alot in forward flight and hover.

I suggest that users with twist handle joystics, use autotrim ON. (game difficulty settings)

i am curious as why twist handle joysticks (i have the thrustmaster m16000) should mean autotrim ON. and what controller would you recommend a person need to have autotrim OFF?

you need an actual pedeal because twisting with trying to fly is just too unnatural. if this game implements realistic pedal movements all twisters without autotrim will spin out during collective pull or push manuevers i.e. landings, take offs, quick stops, pedal turns or hovering in gusty wind. it is highly recommended to buy actual pedals, shit if you've got a steering wheel with gas and break pedals use that if you can't afford a set of flying pedals.

Originally Posted by MD500Enthusiast

Quote: actually i wouldn't use the toe pressure one, because you can unknowingly press both pedals at the same time very easily. where as in a real helicopter you can basically rest your feet on the pedals and apply pressure when needed. plus the gas/break type system adds strain to your feet because of the awkward angel your feet is put into.

Yesterday 11:55 AM

yes...this is exactly the problem, it's also very unnatural to use the z axis on the CH pedals. I found myself keeping my feet on the floor with my toes on the heel rest when using them that way. they are better than nothing but not optimal.

I'm working on something to help those of us on a tight budget;)

I'm working on something to help those of us on a tight budget;)

I'd be really interested in that ;)

So, regarding the rudder control, i'm using a twist joystick and had to drop the sensitivity all the way down, it was on very low settings before but taking it all the way down helped just enough to keep things manageable. Eventually, the pedals sound like the best idea, but for now this will do.

Auto Trim is not an option on expert settings and i would not want to use it anyway :)....added challenge = more fun.

As for the SWAT mission, I tried it again, this time flying around the "green zone" (clockwise) and approached the rooftop LZ from the North, I did have to trim(manual Trim) the heli. to keep it stable but it worked perfect, a bit shaky? yes, but no panic in the cockpit. The Huey takes a bit of getting used to, especially after the MD500 which seems much smoother and actually easier to fly, even though it's lighter(i expected the huey to handle better in windy conditions).

Bottom line, the game is great, few bugs(which we all know about) here and there but overall once things get patched up and with more time in the cockpit/s....ohhhh.....it's going to be a good one.

THANKS AGAIN BI:yay:

I am using a "twist rudder" joystick (Microsoft Force feedback 2), I will try to reduce sensitivity. That could very well be the problem.

Any recommendations on controls? The Logiteck G940 package(separate stick,throttle & pedal units) looks nice...any experience with it?

Thanks again for you help!!!

I recommend the Logitech G940 (100%) as I own a set myself.

It is very easy to program profiles for it, the Force Feedback (FFB) on the joystick is very customizable and extremely powerful depending on how you adjust its settings.

FFB Settings:

Overall Effects Strength 0-150% (Off/Weak to Extremely Powerful).

Spring Effect Strength 0-150% (Spring forces generated by FFB games).

Damper Effect Strength 0-150% (Damper forces generated by FFB games).

Plus the ability to Enable/Disable the Centering Spring as well as adjust its strength between "0 to 150%".

This gives you the ability to adjust the strength of the FFB in many ways from no force feedback to very little or make it so you need arms like He-Man to move the stick!

The throttle can be adjusted for two separate engines (not sure if the three mode switches also work for the throttles, I am going to test that out sometime).

I love it and I previously owned a Saitek X52 (non-pro version) and I really liked it until the Stick sensors stopped working and you cannot center it anymore or even get it to move too the right (sorry for rambling).

Good luck in whatever Hotas system you end up getting!

Edited by lazerath
Fixed a few punctuation mistakes!

I have a g940 now and it's awesome. For anybody with the saitek x52 and no pedals instead of using the twisty stick for yaw, the thumb rotary on the throttle works great for rudder input. I haven't used it in this sim because I've had the g940 for a while but for many sims in the past. It has a notch so u can feel when it's centered. I've had problems in the past with the twisty I found myself twisting it with out meaning to by gripping in the heat of a dogfight. Works great for helis too.

This sim is just great!

Edited by DarkCrow

I have a g940 now and it's awesome. For anybody with the saitek x52 and no pedals instead of using the twisty stick for yaw, the thumb rotary on the throttle works great for rudder input. I haven't used it in this sim because I've had the g940 for a while but for many sims in the past. It has a notch so u can feel when it's centered. I've had problems in the past with the twisty I found myself twisting it with out meaning to by gripping in the heat of a dogfight. Works great for helis too.

This sim is just great!

that's a great hint. i have that throttle and will try and set it up as such. :) hope tkoh lets me use it as pedal.

EDIT - it works well! a bit difficult to know where center is but flying expert without autotrim is MUCH easier. i cant justify buying pedals as they're expensive, but you have given a viable alternative

Edited by twisted