Sign in to follow this  
VISION1776

Snow terrain

Snow terrain, with new skins for BDU and vehicle cammo. As well as new stepping sounds.

There are nice snow missions/campaigns for Kolgujev and Thirsk, too.

(Check eg 'Namalsk Crisis', CWR mod and Vanha´s Thirsk missions)

Edited by @ST

Snowy Chernarus would be really nice. Not quite as simple as Winter Everon etc though I guess.

I think the most atmospheric missions I ever played in OFP where winter missions.

With ArmA3 in development already, I highly doubt that there will be any snow terrain plus vegetation plus building from BI anymore.

For addon requests we have a sticky thread here.

These are a few winter ones I have..

Vostok Winter

Thirsk Winter

Little White Bag

Six Watkins

Etah Plateau

Namalsk

Huertgenwald

You can of course have a winter feel by setting the weather to bad and having the Thirsk Weather game logic on the map and set the snow effect in the unit option.. then you can have a winter feel on more or less any map..

Winter warfare could be a good expansion for Arma 2. Dynamic snow layers based on terrain and elevation that slow people and vehicles, making plows and plowed roads important. And if you lie down for too long with your sniper, your hands start shivering and shaking.

If there is ever "official snow", I hope there will be a lot more simulation to it than what we typically see done in mods. Don't get me wrong, I loooove the mood in Thirsk Winter when used with other winter equipment. But if done officially, they'd have to start thinking more like maturin above me - plowing, slippery, cold, (more) persistent tracks.

Being a "winter soldier" myself, there are two things that are great in cold weather.

1) -10°C is a hellufalot warmer than 0°C, because you don't get as wet.

2) Night time visibility in snow is pretty awesome. Don't need much moon (if at all, depending on time).

These can also backfire:

1) If you do get wet in -10°C, you get a hellufalot colder than in 0°C (sweat counts as wet, ask any American during winter operations in Norway :p).

2) It makes you equally easy to spot during the night, making need to maintain discipline a lot higher. Anti IR coated uniforms doesn't help against smokers :D, and less full trees makes vegetation less likely for camouflage.

So for me, an official snow approach means a lot more than making stuff white.

I would actually pay for a "Winter Chernarus" DLC/expansion with those suggestions in the two posts above.

Lots of very nice stuff could be done if it was official. Proper winter Sky's/ weather and snow precipitation effects etc.

I would actually pay for a "Winter Chernarus" DLC/expansion with those suggestions in the two posts above.

Lots of very nice stuff could be done if it was official. Proper winter Sky's/ weather and snow precipitation effects etc.

my thoughts exactly. Arma2 is one of those games that is very unique. Any great content that shows up is basically worth its money. An official map pack would be worth some money and I would be willing to pay for it. Official snow maps with effects and skins would be great. As well as the sound your steps make in the snow and the prints left behind. All those things would be "buy-able" in my opinion.

I will look into these snow maps mentioned above, is there any particular favorite or suggested? and where do I download? Are they available on SIX updater?

So for me, an official snow approach means a lot more than making stuff white.

Wow such insightful observations. It brought a shiver down my neck just recalling similar moments ;)

It's a shame that, apart from the lighting levels, it'd be difficult to represent the other aspects.

There's another aspect though that might be just as significant and feasible to implement - sound attenuation. IIRC snow muffles sound signficantly. In fact snow laden trees, in particular confier forests, REALLY smother sounds.

Conversely moving through snow is often more noisy than open ground. Particularly if it's old (icy) snow.

I'd be great if snowy maps could carry an audio config that could influence the sound engine so as to represent these different audio attenuations.

Lastly, I think that breath frosting in the air would be great. IIRC the i44 team developped a script to simulate this though it was very basic. It''d be even better if the breath was somehow influenced by the character's exhaustion and/or the ambient temperature (therefore humidity).

Thirsk is a good and an atmospheric map (with custom steps IIRC), no need for Chernarus reskins which will be more of a milking than anything.

m4ea48Vh74Q

I will look into these snow maps mentioned above, is there any particular favorite or suggested? and where do I download? Are they available on SIX updater?

Most islands are available on Six updater, for missions, campaigns and mods check Armaholic also.

I think the most popular are Namalsk and Thirsk.