Sign in to follow this  
walker

The machines can read your mind!

Hi all

Scientists at the University of California, Berkeley, have reconstructed video images from MRI scans of the human mind:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-video/8782271/Scientists-map-images-from-human-brain-for-first-time.html

nsjDnYxJ0bo

As you can see low res but this is the start, the first television was worse. Actually I am pretty hyped by it, as a proof of concept of reading aspects of the mind; the work is quite extraordinary. It is of great interest for how we see the world. Note the changes in the perception as the mind reassesses what it sees. Note the way the text is seen as lots of lines all with the same point (size) value and font while the real font is imposed as background image afterwards.

Oh for those of you not aware "The Singularity is Near"

Already discussed here:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=113757

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker
Better Video found grammar spelling

Wow. I take it those are reconstructed from real-time recordings? I'll be interested in the eventual ability to reconstruct images from remembered memories, and how that could affect the legal system.

Hogwash. The video demonstrates how the visual cortex interprets visual information from the optic nerve. The sypnaptic network is far too complex for humans to master.

Hi Crispis

It is a first step, from it we will be able to pursue other avenues. For instance taking DMarkwick's point. The obvious thing would be to see if people do remember visually. If not then how does the visual cortex relate to the synaptic network.

Note also the visual cortex is mediated by the synaptic network. Note the way the text is seen as two rows of lines all with the same point (size) value and font which has nothing to do with the image shape, while a version of the font shape is imposed as backgrond image afterwards. Percieve the words, then the font. Focussed thought?

As I said first step. Like John Logie Baird's first TV images:

John_Logie_Baird%2C_1st_Image.jpg

Kind Regards walker

I must agree the video does give the impression that the mind is swiftly flickering through a 'slideshow' of shapes and colours that resemble the images being processed, like a library of preserved data.

Are there any video interviews and demonstrations of this besides soundless videos that could have easily been made in any random video editing software?

Could easily be a hoax me thinks.

Are there any video interviews and demonstrations of this besides soundless videos that could have easily been made in any random video editing software?

Could easily be a hoax me thinks.

Hi Dead3yez

It would not be very good for the academic reputation of UC Berkeley to perpurtrate such a hoax, but maybe you should place your suggestion there:

http://newscenter.berkeley.edu/2011/09/22/brain-movies/

More explanation here in the more link:

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

I searched for more information, but the best I could find was a video of a lab in tokyo. But nothing from berkeley.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8x53n_japanese-mind-reading-technology_news

Information from the ORIGINAL source:

https://sites.google.com/site/gallantlabucb/publications/nishimoto-et-al-2011

Why would they make it up? Perhaps they need some funding?

I'm not saying it is fake... Just sceptical.

Has anyone considered the possibility that walker was sent from the future, to warn us of things to come?

:p

You made me LOL with this one :p

Really interesting. If true, how long until they are able to actually reproduce the images with rendering softwares? A lot of possibilities open up...

read the article:

http://gizmodo.com/5843117/scientists-reconstruct-video-clips-from-brain-activity

it doesnt actually directly reconstruct shit, just matches up your response to a database of response-video data.

After recording this information, another group of clips was used to reconstruct the videos shown to the subjects. The computer analyzed 18 million seconds of random YouTube video, building a database of potential brain activity for each clip. From all these videos, the software picked the one hundred clips that caused a brain activity more similar to the ones the subject watched, combining them into one final movie. Although the resulting video is low resolution and blurry, it clearly matched the actual clips watched by the subjects.

Indeed as it was clearer in the comments, just a translator based on existing images to use as a match.

Personally I do not welcome any tech that can predict or read any human minds, let it fall on its ass I say.

Personally I do not welcome any tech that can predict or read any human minds, let it fall on its ass I say.

What good reason do you have do deny this technology from developing?

Its negative uses.

But could I deny it being developed? Not really, not in a post in a BIS off topic forum.

http://approachingsignificance.tumblr.com/post/10544585630/can-computers-reconstruct-your-dreams

it is still very far fetched to call these reconstructions anywhere close:

stupid white guy in a white shirt = blurry neanderthal

same stupid white guy in a black uniform = blurry apple store employee

elephant in a desert = blurry dog turd in the backyard on a sunny day

black kid with a stethoscope = blurry Jesus

all they need now is a second database of movies and another algorithm to do the blurry to normal translation

Edited by Soul_Assassin

Anyone think that the one next to the parrot in the video that Walker posted looks like Bob Marley?

Its negative uses.

But could I deny it being developed? Not really, not in a post in a BIS off topic forum.

Yes, lets ban technology and embrace religion so no one can harm us. :icon_rolleyes:

Yes, lets ban technology and embrace religion so no one can harm us.
Banning technology? This is but one small area of use within the vast field of technology so its not some call of blanket banning, care to explain where religion comes into it seeing as you brought that up?

F**k me, the knee jerk massive are in full effect in these forums ... :bounce3:

Guess what .... there are 2 sides to all technology just like life, a good use, and a bad use, which is a fact, some of us highlight it and think more about its uses, potentials, and not so good reasons, some see bubblegum and my little pony :) (I joke of course).

Having said that this current tech isn't worth not bothering with as its hardly advanced, best uses would be for artists and painters only so far ... "mind art" or "brain blur" ... maybe even "grey matter wildstyle" ... or .... "motion shatter", maybe even "head smash" / "face crunch" / "eye rape"... so many forms :)

Edited by mrcash2009