Sign in to follow this  
M.Andersson(SWE)

World Machine 2, terrainbuilder

I see no reason it couldn't be used. As long as it can export greyscale 16-bits images for the heightmap and LARGE texture images (for satellite maps) it could certainly be used.

Should work OK - although the demo version is pretty limited and the full thing isn't cheap!

Here's a list of similar software Grome has the biggest reputation - and the biggest price!

Strangely, Daylon Leveller isn't mentioned... It's a preferred choice for VBS/Pro level terrain editing...

L3DT's still the best value for money, I think - especially considering it's sat & mask making capability... One day I should really read it's "Design Map" section instructions - that's the "landscape generation" bit... I've never really seriously fooled with that as yet, but it looks pretty powerful for automatic terrain generation using perlin, fractals, terracing & erosion, etc...

Don't forget Wilbur too - it's not pretty but it is free, and the erosion tools are pretty effective, especially "incise & flow"...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

I'm testing WM2.2 Pro and so far I like the generated stuff. But I much prefer to work on more custom things and less CG.

What about Terragen?

Is there a SW that is NOOB friendly.

That is capable of nice creations?

WM2 at 189$ isnt that expensive..

If could spend some bucks I would go for L3DT or Daylon Leveller... there is no mess with those... just giv'em a try... both offer free trials... saludos!

A little late chiming in here, but.. I've used WM2 for other things in the past. It's actually a fairly complex app, but relatively easy to learn. From my experience in generating terrains for ArmA with it ... meh, there are a number of apps as mentioned above and below that are what I would consider much more functional. None the less you can export from WM2.

Probably the single best tool for doing many things related to the map making process would be L3DT. Although I do not use it for generating my base terrain, it has fairly powerful realtime 3D terrain manipulation tools. And what you see is generally, what you'll get when using the .xyz export functions. I do all my mask painting in this app also. Most of which is automated.

I quite enjoy building my terrain, ie.. defining where everything will be like ridges, valleys etc.. A personal favorite for me is actually GeoControl 2. A little older, but the isoline abilities are pretty awesome. And really quite easy to learn. (tutorial videos are available)

Terragen 2, is actually fairly powerful also, although the learning curve is slightly profound. And while it's not really designed for terrain creation, you can get some pretty wicked base terrains with a fair bit of trial and error.

All in all, most terrain generation apps are going to have a learning curve. And each app has it's quirks and drawbacks. But for me, and screwing around with ArmA stuff, Geo Control 2 and L3DT pretty much handles it all. Again L3DT being the most useful of all. Learning curve, moderate. Although I'm sure there are some guys around that would be happy to share some files to make it a little easier, like myself.

Haven't tried Daylon, but seeing some of B's screenshots elsewhere, looks like it might be a great tool. Will have to try that out.

Best Regards,

Gnome

Edited by Gnome_AS