Sign in to follow this  
Derbysieger

Arma 2: OA Beta build 83500

http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php

changelog:

[83496] Changed: AI reactions to close threats more reliable - danger FSM event DCFire is sent only when unit not in the combat mode yet (http://dev-heaven.net/issues/23160, http://dev-heaven.net/issues/22935, http://dev-heaven.net/issues/23153)

[83471] Fixed: AI units often not engaging close enemies (http://dev-heaven.net/issues/18951, http://dev-heaven.net/issues/22935)

[83400] New: scripting function "assignedTeam xxx" returns colored team to which a commander of given vehicle belongs to.

[83390] Fixed: Most units had maximum skill, ignoring values set in the mission (http://dev-heaven.net/issues/4483)

Edited by Dwarden

hmmm assignedTeam would return Blue, Red, Green or White (and yellow), I pressume?

Edited by GossamerSolid

This is a WIN! would definitely test out the new AI reaction. Thanks BIS

Edit: did a few rounds of tests in the editor, can say that the CQB for AI has really improved alot, they will continue shooting multiple targets rather than shoot and move ,and the reaction is way quicker. Also did a test with the skills set, placing a group of 4 ACR with full skill and a group of 10 Taki militia with low skill, having quite a big number of tries where the ACR elites win the battle with 1 or 2 survivor left.

All I can say is great beta! noticing that AI with handgun don't get stuck anymore, and they switch back to rifle, don't know whether it's an accidental fix.

Edited by Muahaha

Edit: did a few rounds of tests in the editor, can say that the CQB for AI has really improved alot, they will continue shooting multiple targets rather than shoot and move ,and the reaction is way quicker. Also did a test with the skills set, placing a group of 4 ACR with full skill and a group of 10 Taki militia with low skill, having quite a big number of tries where the ACR elites win the battle with 1 or 2 survivor left.

Nice to hear, that's exactly was i hoping once the issues where finally identified!

Eagerly waiting to be able to test this build.

All I can say is great beta! noticing that AI with handgun don't get stuck anymore, and they switch back to rifle, don't know whether it's an accidental fix.

OMG - going to test that now.....

Going to load up Fallujah. Hop I get ripped to pieces.

It's great to see how really important issues are being worked on and get fixed! Thanks BI and Suma!

Please keep voting issues on the CIT, as you can see BIS care about community requests.

There is already at least a handful of very important open tickets deserving the attention of the community.

Please go register and vote your top priority issues, it's a matter of minutes and you'll eventually contribute to make the game better.

Can you/somebody double check this? I can't see any relevant fixes in changelog nor on CIT. Thanks.

Edited by fabrizio_T

I don't know if there was a difference or if I just imagined it, but I just had a very good CQB fight. The AI used cover well and watched their corners. At the beginning, the squad leader was indistinguishable in his movements from a human player. But I think that's old news.

I feel like I was getting shot at while running across streets and alleys more than usual. The AI seemed less apathetic generally. Most of all, I poked my head around a corner to see an enemy running across my path two meters away. Instead of hightailing it to cover, he stopped, turned and shot at me. While I ended up killing him, this is exactly the sort of behavior that the AI needs to exhibit to prevent suicide flank rushes in open fields.

I don't know if there was a difference or if I just imagined it, but I just had a very good CQB fight. The AI used cover well and watched their corners. At the beginning, the squad leader was indistinguishable in his movements from a human player. But I think that's old news.

I feel like I was getting shot at while running across streets and alleys more than usual. The AI seemed less apathetic generally. Most of all, I poked my head around a corner to see an enemy running across my path two meters away. Instead of hightailing it to cover, he stopped, turned and shot at me. While I ended up killing him, this is exactly the sort of behavior that the AI needs to exhibit to prevent suicide flank rushes in open fields.

Not really old news, this build is introducing some major fixes / improvements, AI-wise.

There should be a significant difference in my opinion, due to the kind of fixes where done.

In CQB AI units are now supposed to stop to fire quite often and to avoid some previously unexplicable movements.

Also "suicide flank rushes in open fields" should be theoretically be fixed or at least minimized.

Edited by fabrizio_T

Edit: Testers, your input is required.

I think units are getting into cover and then refusing to change direction to engage obvious threats.

Situation: Enemy PMC gunman with a Guard waypoint takes up a position on a wall corner, in combat mode. He is facing east and I approach from the south, emerging at 10m. I can see his face in profile. He is making constant small movements with his legs, as if he can't quite get into a good shooting position. Ordinarily he would soon turn his head and see me, but this guy seems to have tunnel vision.

I fire a full clip past his ear and am ignored. He does not turn his head when I shoot him twice in the legs. I even walk up to him and attempt to bandage his wounds, and he is still making small crawling motions and aiming east. I go on to kill the rest of his squad the same way as they stand in cover behind buildings and walls.

When the enemies are on the move or aiming in the right the right direction, they are indeed much deadlier than in previous versions. However, they seem to be getting stuck in cover with tunnel vision and deafness.

Edit again: In other tests, the PMC guy on the corner was NOT making his continual adjustments. In this scenario, he immediately turned and shot me. I have observed similar fidgeting behavior from friendly troops standing in a colonnade.

[quote name='fabrizio_T;1999214

There should be a significant difference in my opinion' date=' due to the kind of fixes where done.

In CQB AI units are now supposed to stop to fire quite often and to avoid some previously unexplicable movements.

Also "suicide flank rushes in open fields" should be theoretically be fixed or at least minimized.[/quote']

Although this beta doesn't seem to address cover use (that was the old news), the CQB does seem improved. It's just that it's so hard to test.

Edited by maturin

noticing that AI with handgun don't get stuck anymore, and they switch back to rifle, don't know whether it's an accidental fix.

Not here. I have made a small mission that almost 100 % reproduces the error (I tested it like 10 times, and every time one got stuck)

Edit: Testers, your input is required.

I think units are getting into cover and then refusing to change direction to engage obvious threats.

Situation: Enemy PMC gunman with a Guard waypoint takes up a position on a wall corner, in combat mode. He is facing east and I approach from the south, emerging at 10m. I can see his face in profile. He is making constant small movements with his legs, as if he can't quite get into a good shooting position. Ordinarily he would soon turn his head and see me, but this guy seems to have tunnel vision.

I fire a full clip past his ear and am ignored. He does not turn his head when I shoot him twice in the legs. I even walk up to him and attempt to bandage his wounds, and he is still making small crawling motions and aiming east. I go on to kill the rest of his squad the same way as they stand in cover behind buildings and walls.

When the enemies are on the move or aiming in the right the right direction, they are indeed much deadlier than in previous versions. However, they seem to be getting stuck in cover with tunnel vision and deafness.

I didn't encounter the said issue, seems like it's stuck on an object. Was it it's initial starting pos or it went up to the spot?

Not here. I have made a small mission that almost 100 % reproduces the error (I tested it like 10 times, and every time one got stuck)

Probably my ASR skill mod then. They tends to swap their rifle and pistols around often, but never got stuck.

Can you post up that mission - been trying to reproduce it this afternoon and can't - not even in 1.59!!!

Can you post up that mission - been trying to reproduce it this afternoon and can't - not even in 1.59!!!

Sure, I've put it up on my website: test mission.

To reproduce the problem, launch in multiplayer and play as the KSK team leader. Go towards the objective waypoint, and watch the KSK machine gunner (unit #2). When they engage the enemy, he will shoot a few times with the MG36, then switch to the G17. After the engagement, he will almost 100 % be stuck with his handgun out.

I didn't encounter the said issue, seems like it's stuck on an object. Was it it's initial starting pos or it went up to the spot?

The units ran to the objects in question, which were a variety of fences, walls and columns from ArmA 1. I wiped out two whole squads this way, but that only happened when I allowed them enough time to settle into cover and become stationary.

The AI seems to have been improved.

However there is still a problem - when AI encounters each other and they start to engage - but even if it's an open desert they stand unless suppressed (then they go prone) making them easy targets. They almost don't know about crouched stance.

Can it be possible for you to improve this in the following beta like the default stance for AI when engaging should be crouched?

Because it's only logical - considering that that way soldiers are more precise (as in less recoil) with weapons as well and make less of a target.

Because it's only logical - considering that that way soldiers are more precise (as in less recoil) with weapons as well and make less of a target.

I had an entire squad approach a target while crouched.

Interestingly, they were in Delta formation, which means that bounding overwatch was disabled. Perhaps the AI prefers to run upright when running to cover, and prefers to go prone when in cover, thus neglecting crouch.

I dont know which beta it started but lately when I play MP and I try to use an ammobox for weapons or ammo I cant take anything out.

I see the contents but clicking on them does nothing.

What I get is an error in arma2OA.RPT whenever I click on gear or I have an opened ammobox:

Ref to nonnetwork object e265dd00# 440233: ruvehicleammo.p3d

The numbers change depending the ammobox I try to use.

If I stay in the same place for 10-60 secs, I can start using the ammobox.

Anyone else experience this?

Edited by TonyGrunt

I had an entire squad approach a target while crouched.

Interestingly, they were in Delta formation, which means that bounding overwatch was disabled. Perhaps the AI prefers to run upright when running to cover, and prefers to go prone when in cover, thus neglecting crouch.

The pretty much ignore crouching when they move to somewhere and encounter an enemy they immediately start to engage him but not bothering to crouch or take cover at first.

Basically there's some pause between them starting engaging and bothering to seek cover. And in during that pause I think it will be a good idea for them to crouch. Because really - they make very easy targets not mentioning that a crouched dude (like me) has an advantage of being more precise because the recoil is not as harsh

Most of the time it is much more useful to crouch while engaging and I really want AI to prioritize crouching some more. It also will make them 1/2 tall - basically 50% less prone to getting hit

Edited by metalcraze

Sure, I've put it up on my website: test mission.

To reproduce the problem, launch in multiplayer and play as the KSK team leader. Go towards the objective waypoint, and watch the KSK machine gunner (unit #2). When they engage the enemy, he will shoot a few times with the MG36, then switch to the G17. After the engagement, he will almost 100 % be stuck with his handgun out.

Ok, I have managed to reproduce this using your mission now, so thanks. Did you notice that it only seemed to happen once he had run out of ammo in the pistol. Also, once he ran out of ammo in the pistol - he then starts firing from the machine gun again, which is still on his back!!

If you help out and kill all the OPFORS before he runs out of pistol ammo he seems to not get stuck.

In the vid, you can just see him firing from the mg on his back...

nxKJ5aym4Ao

Ok, tried it a few more times. Every time you kill off the enemy before the MG guy runs out of pistol ammo he does not get stuck. As soon as he is out of pistol ammo then he is stuck (and fires off whateve is left in the MG mag strapped to his back).

Edited by Jedra

At close range the AI seem to turn much quicker now but at distance static gunners and vehicle gunners sometimes fail to respond and are always much slower than infantry.

Sometimes the static gunner half turns and stops even though your firing all around him.

@TonyGrunt: What mission? I get the same error messages (ref to nonnetwork object) now also on vanilla OA crates created locally on client, where I earlier only got them on certain types of crates. I don't have the issue where I can't use them, but I'm typically in mission long enough for reveal to kick in.

Related rpt entries:

Ref to nonnetwork object 71338800# 439283: usordnance.p3d

Ref to nonnetwork object 71338800# 439283: usordnance.p3d

Ref to nonnetwork object 70e68100# 439332: uslaunchers.p3d

Ref to nonnetwork object 7129f200# 439319: usspecialweapons.p3d

Client: Object 2:801 (type Type_99) not found.

Client: Object 2:801 (type Type_98) not found.

Client: Object 2:800 (type Type_94) not found.

Client: Object 2:800 (type Type_70) not found.

Client: Object 2:802 (type Type_89) not found.

Client: Object 2:798 (type Type_98) not found.

Client: Object 2:803 (type Type_70) not found.

Client: Object 2:803 (type Type_94) not found.

Client: Object 2:798 (type Type_99) not found.

Client: Object 2:801 (type Type_99) not found.

Ref to nonnetwork object 688a0100# 439278: usbasicammo.p3d

Ref to nonnetwork object 688a0100# 439278: usbasicammo.p3d

Client: Object 2:1311 (type Type_70) not found.

Client: Object 2:1311 (type Type_94) not found.

Client: Object 2:1312 (type Type_70) not found.

Client: Object 2:1312 (type Type_94) not found.

Client: Object 2:1313 (type Type_70) not found.

Client: Object 2:1313 (type Type_94) not found.

Client: Object 2:1314 (type Type_70) not found.

Client: Object 2:1314 (type Type_94) not found.

Client: Object 2:1316 (type Type_103) not found.

Client: Object 2:1315 (type Type_101) not found.

Client: Object 2:1315 (type Type_102) not found.

Client: Object 2:1316 (type Type_203) not found.

Client: Object 2:1317 (type Type_94) not found.

Client: Object 2:1317 (type Type_70) not found.

Client: Object 2:1318 (type Type_70) not found.

Client: Object 2:1318 (type Type_94) not found.

Client: Object 2:1320 (type Type_103) not found.

Client: Object 2:1319 (type Type_101) not found.

Client: Object 2:1319 (type Type_102) not found.

Client: Object 2:1320 (type Type_203) not found.

Client: Object 2:1321 (type Type_115) not found.

Client: Object 2:1321 (type Type_116) not found.

Client: Object 2:1322 (type Type_94) not found.

Client: Object 2:1322 (type Type_70) not found.

Client: Object 2:1323 (type Type_70) not found.

Client: Object 2:1323 (type Type_94) not found.

Client: Object 2:1321 (type Type_115) not found.

Client: Object 2:1324 (type Type_94) not found.

Client: Object 2:1324 (type Type_70) not found.

Client: Object 2:1325 (type Type_70) not found.

Client: Object 2:1325 (type Type_94) not found.

Client: Object 2:1326 (type Type_70) not found.

Client: Object 2:1326 (type Type_94) not found.

Client: Object 2:1329 (type Type_103) not found.

Client: Object 2:1328 (type Type_102) not found.

Client: Object 2:1327 (type Type_85) not found.

Client: Object 2:1328 (type Type_101) not found.

Client: Object 2:1329 (type Type_203) not found.

Client: Object 2:1330 (type Type_94) not found.

Client: Object 2:1330 (type Type_70) not found.

Client: Object 2:1331 (type Type_94) not found.

Client: Object 2:1331 (type Type_70) not found.

Client: Object 2:1508 (type Type_103) not found.

Client: Object 2:1507 (type Type_104) not found.

Client: Object 2:1507 (type Type_105) not found.

Client: Object 2:1508 (type Type_203) not found.

Client: Object 2:1509 (type Type_99) not found.

Client: Object 2:1509 (type Type_98) not found.

Client: Object 2:1510 (type Type_89) not found.

Client: Object 2:1511 (type Type_98) not found.

Client: Object 2:1512 (type Type_89) not found.

Client: Object 2:1511 (type Type_99) not found.

Client: Object 2:1507 (type Type_104) not found.

Client: Object 2:1508 (type Type_103) not found.

Client: Object 2:1609 (type Type_85) not found.

Client: Object 2:1609 (type Type_85) not found.

At close range the AI seem to turn much quicker now but at distance static gunners and vehicle gunners sometimes fail to respond and are always much slower than infantry.

Sometimes the static gunner half turns and stops even though your firing all around him.

That could be because vehicles no longer have unfair 360 degree vision. And I static weapons crew are treated as vehicles, also exposing them to the 360 degree bug and making them less effective because of the fix.

That could be because vehicles no longer have unfair 360 degree vision. And I static weapons crew are treated as vehicles, also exposing them to the 360 degree bug and making them less effective because of the fix.

I don't think that's it I just checked 1.59 and their response is about the same.