Sign in to follow this  
AntiPasta

Carrying a m2

I don't have any addon-making experience, but has someone made an addon where one could carry a M2 machinegun around just like any other machine gun? Can it be done?

I know that in WW2 the M2 was used as a more or less portable support weapon with bipod and not as a 'please shoot me' standing tripod weapon.

It would make a pretty powerful mofo compared to the M60 and PK, imho.

i would assume it would be a little heavy and recoil prone to be carried around like a M60 or PK but someone could make it a secondary weapon like the LAW and have a script call up to put it in position

Er, this thing weighs 84 pounds, about 40 KG, before you add the ammo and tripod. Well, if you fire from the hip, you don't need a tripod, do you?

Lets just say trying to fire one from the hip is not practical. biggrin.gif

By the way, the Weapon you are thinking of with the bipod is the Browning M1917 .30 cal machine gun, a scaled down version of the .50. You could fire that from the hip easily.

you could always put wheels on the tripod and roll it around the battlefield biggrin.gif "12 oclock machine gun on wheels, 500"

Russkis did that with their .50 cals. Why not?

just think of how the AI would use it

they would try to run forward and shoot at the same time, oh wait they do that as infantry already

It can be carried. One person carries the gun, the other person carries the ammo. I wonder if it can be done with scripts. I also wish it could be put in a real bipod position, not the standing please-shoot-me one. biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wardog @ May 25 2002,14:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Russkis did that with their .50 cals. Why not?<span id='postcolor'>

...so did we...so did the Americans...particularly during the First and Second World Wars anyway...

Jubs

oh it could very easily be done with scripting, but it would be buggy as hell, because when you would have to removemagazine from ammo carrier and addmagazine to the gun carrier, and you would have a full mag every time

The only thing stopping us from putting a .50 Browning on a soldier, in OPF, is that the Browning doesn't have an independant model.

The gun that you see on the UH60MG is modeled onto the chopper itself.

There's no model to choose and place onto any other unit.

why dont you just 'mould' the tripod into the m2 with p3d2obj?

er this would be extremely easy, it would looks stupid but would be easy, you just remove the bipod (bis models come apart, and scale it down until its tiny and 'hide' it in the gun

I have it attached to a player in a script. When you give a command the gun is deployed by the crew. When the gunner dies another member of the crew will take the gun. This goes on till all of the crew are dead, then the gun is destroyed. The gun can be re-deployed at any time while still working.

Ben

LOL, one soldier carrying a Browning .50 cal HMG.

IRL, the gun is spilt into three main pieces, each one carried by one soldier. Parts: Barrel, Tri-Pod, Breech block and main body. Ammo would be split up between the three guys. Have you ever lifted a box of w/100rds of .50 belted ammo? It's heavy.

Tyler

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Assault (CAN) @ May 30 2002,03:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">LOL, one soldier carrying a Browning .50 cal HMG.

IRL, the gun is spilt into three main pieces, each one carried by one soldier. Parts: Barrel, Tri-Pod, Breech block and main body. Ammo would be split up between the three guys. Have you ever lifted a box of w/100rds of .50 belted ammo? It's heavy.

Tyler<span id='postcolor'>

hmmm should fit for me... I like the direct approach with a heavy weapon like this.

Create a new player model of an overdimesoned person....

Enough said.

Guys they stopped putting mg's on wheels after the second world war, because they weren't needed anymore. The far more effective assault riffle was introduced by the Germans in the form of the stg 44 and later adopted to become the famed ak47. With the introduction of automatic riffles the soldier could carry a weapon wich was far more mobbile than a mg and far easier to use. That's why they stopped doing it, so if u guys are thinking about doing that, make it a ww2 or ww1 weapon.

dude, i am way ahead of you started thinking of this a long while ago. I am working on turning a laser designator into a .50cal so you will be able to take it with you. very usefull for AA. -- Ever see Pearl Harbour

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Benze @ May 25 2002,18:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It can be carried. One person carries the gun, the other person carries the ammo. I wonder if it can be done with scripts. I also wish it could be put in a real bipod position, not the standing please-shoot-me one.  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I've fired the M2 a few times and once for one training session was an instructor on it shortly before I left the Army. I can assure you that it is NOT a weapon that can easily be fired from the hip. Aside from the immense weight of the weapon, the recoil from it is tremendous and unless you wanted a broken hip I wouldn't advise attempting to shoot it from the hip. There are no bipods made for the M2. I can send you links to the Army manuals on the weapon if you don't believe me. It shows all of the accessories used with the M2, and a bipod is not one of them. However, I should add that in real life, the tripod is NOT that high for the M2. The M2 is normally fired from a tripod that required the gunner to fire it from a kneeling, or sitting position. M2 firing positions are also normally fortified with sandbangs with the gunner often standing in a trench unless the position is a hasty firing position. The M2 can be carried but it's not something a single soldier goes running around with on the battlefield. A dedicated HMG team is a 2 to 4 man team usually with each member of the team helping to carry parts of the weapon (barrel, reciever, tripod, and ammo).

The M2 is normally not used with light infantry except on the mounts of vehicles like the Humvee or in static defensive positions. That's what the M240 (FNMag) is for...and at closer range the M249 Squad Automatic Weapon (SAW/Minimi).

The M2 is intended more for long range fire suppression and for destroying vehicles and some light armor. It's also used for air defense as well. It's an excellent weapon. Very robust, very accurate, and it makes big holes in people (although technically you're only supposed to use it on their equipment that they're carrying. smile.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Delenda @ May 31 2002,19:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">dude, i am way ahead of you started thinking of this a long while ago. I am working on turning a laser designator into a .50cal so you will be able to take it with you. very usefull for AA. -- Ever see Pearl Harbour<span id='postcolor'>

It is used for AA purposes, but if you tried firing it without a tripod it would be like firing a very large and very powerful jack hammer. You'd most likely smash your face or shoulder trying to fire it on a sandbag like in that movie. You would only do that in an absolutely dire emergency if you couldn't find the tripod. However normally whereever the weapon goes, the tripod and spare barrels go with it. The tripod is quick and easy to set up and offers a nice solid firing platform for more accurate and controlled shooting of both ground and air targets. For really precise shooting there is also a T&E (Traverse & Elevation) mechanism that attaches to it, but that's for more deliberate long range firing.

But if some of you want to make it because it looks cool that's fine. It's not realistic, but I guess it would be fun and look cool carrying around that huge gun....kinda like Arnold carrying around that minigun.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (macho_man_mathijs @ May 31 2002,11:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Guys they stopped putting mg's on wheels after the second world war, because they weren't needed anymore. The far more effective assault riffle was introduced by the Germans in the form of the stg 44 and later adopted to become the famed ak47. With the introduction of automatic riffles the soldier could carry a weapon wich was far more mobbile than a mg and far easier to use. That's why they stopped doing it, so if u guys are thinking about doing that, make it a ww2 or ww1 weapon.<span id='postcolor'>

Actually they still put them on wheels...except now they're called Humvees. smile.gif Actually for mobile infantry the weapons that for the most part replaced the HMG was the medium machine gun which includes the PK, M240 (FNMAG), M60, ect... While not as powerful as the HMG's, they offer very good range, good accuracy, and good killing power.

Also you can still find a few of the Russian DShK 12.7mm HMG's on wheeled mounts but these are usually towed by horse or vehicle in places like Afghanistan. In other words, for guerilla forces, a wheeled mount makes alot of sense if you don't have vehicles to move the HMG's around but need the heavier fire power for AA defense. Assault rifles like the ones you mentioned replaced the larger combat rifles like the M1 Garand and the British Enfield rifles. It was determined that most engagements were under 300 meters and that the heavy calibers were often overkill. The Germans were the first to realize that the smaller cartridges in their STG-44 allowed for lighter weight, decent lethality, and superior firepower. The U.S. didn't catch on to this until they accepted the 5.56mm ammunition and the M-16A1. Meanwhile the Russians like you said created the AK-47 and before that the SKS rifle.

But back to HMG's, they still are occasionally moved on foot but they try to move them in vehicles unless they can only move it into position by foot. The idea is to be able to move swiftly and not get bogged down hauling around a big heavy machine gun with questionable effectiveness in close range firefights compared to lighter machine 5.56mm. For that reason the M2 is usually classifed as a company support weapon and usually mounted to vehicles.

Anyhooo I agree with you. It's not realistic having an individual soldier carrying it around like a regular machine gun.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD> smile.gif

i imagine that bis is still using the M2 for east to save on polygons on the model.. the M2 has a fairly simple shape when compared to its eastern counterpart..

i dont see why a proper M2 w/ tripod (instead of the AA mount its currently on) couldnt be made for the game, with o2.

my question is: is it possible to assing certain soldier positions/ animations to diffrent vehicles? i know that its not possible to make new animations/positions, but how bout assinging existing ones in diffrent situations?

example: soldier A mans a nearby M2, he is, as the game is concerned, now in a vehicle. Ofp has a limited amount of poses for a soldier in a vehicle, the siting and driving postions and the standing firing the M2 position (for static MG and M113 gunner). can a normally non vehicle pose be assigned to the soldier? i.e. lying prone or siting down ? theses positons would be best if trying to implement a tripod M2 in-game.

the M2 would have to remain classed as a vehicle because thats the only way the game can handle static weaponry

kegs working on a russian machine gun and he is siting down