Sign in to follow this  
[frl]myke

Website project: ArmA Player Center - looking for Teammembers

I had this idea a long time ago and now i've decided to give it a try. Basically this thread told me i have to because obviously no one else would. ;)

Ok, problem: it's hard to find like-minded player for a random game every now and then. A place is needed where one can advertise his game (be it dedi server or quickly self hosted) to find some players.

Solution: a forum where nearly everyone can advertise himself and look for some players to join him. Can be quickly random or on a regular weekly basis, doesn't matter.

And that's what i have in mind, a website/forum where everyone can jump in and either look for games/players just for a random game, can look for a group of like-minded players or even a squad/clan to join.

So anyone could jump in and say "hey, i'm hosting a game this evening, who is interested either leave a message here or join <servername>".

Also groups can advertise that they're playing "open for everyone every tuesday and thursday".

So there will be a forum for everyone to find players or games.

This is just a rough sketch about the idea, it needs a lot of finetuning and polishing until it's ready for public for sure.

And there is where i need help. I can't do this on my own (well, i could but wife wouldn't be happy at all) so i need a few people to help me to get it up and runnin. And after launch helping to moderate this beast.

Special knowledge isn't necessary although someone who can do graphics (for the planned website look) would surely be appreciated.

Besides this, i'm looking for people with adequate social behaviour (some might say opposite to my own ;) ) who are willing to spend some time on a daily basis (or almost daily) to take place as forum moderator there.

If you're interested, please join the social group ArmA Player center so we might start discussing about the details.

A personal note: i wouldn't mind if those 2 people would volunteer that probably started to hate me in the above mentoined thread. Just don't call me "my son", my name is Myke, nothing else to call me. :D

I'm actually quite interested in this idea and would like to help.

I've sent a PM and request to join the group.

I think this is an excellent idea and if you pull it off well and advertise it well in the community then it might end up being used by a lot of people, something like the ArmA.Info of ArmA Multiplayer.

It would certainly be better then joining random servers and ending up disappointed most of the time.

You could also make something like a "1 - 5" seriousness meter which will let people see how serious the game play should be, I don't know how to explain this but theoretically 5 would be for very serious game play, very strategic, lots of cooperation and for players with lots of experience etc... 3 would be like a casual game where you can expect ordinary people who like to play and chat a bit, make some friends etc... (e.g. me) and 1 being for the kids and beginners...

So based on what you want to play you can quickly look at the rating and join.

Although kids would probably screw this up by always selecting 5.

Anyway good luck with this :wink_o: If I wasn’t busy with other projects I would help you.

Something along the lines of this would be good for clans/groups:

Clan Name:

Realism Unit: (Yes/No)

Level of Realism: (1-10) (Maybe make a chart that will add up points)

Chart

Training = 1 Point

Rank Structure = 2 Points

And so on....

Teamspeak: (Yes/No)

Teamspeak Info: (If selected yes)

Clan Name:

Chart

Training = 1 Point

And so on....

Let's keep this to the social group discussion and i really think at this point this is a few steps ahead. Let's get us the basic things cleared up first. ;)

But i do appreciate the interest.

Is it ok for you if i join the Group just to show my solidarity for this concept?

I hate it to say as i really appreciate your solidarity, but i do hope that you understand that i would like to have people in the group that actually are interested in a active role, just to avoid confusion at my side...you know, i'm not the youngest anymore and get confused very easily.

Really sorry to deny, hope you understand it.

ahh sure i do! Well if i have some ideas for the layout etc, the best option would be PM i think.

imma handle it over to the experts ;)

have a nice day!

PP

I could be a moderator (have some experience with that), sadly, I'm too lazy to learn php or w/e so I can't help with the layout/features :(

I have some experience in doing website stuff (php/mysql, Photoshop etc.) and would love to contribute to this but i also suffer from burnout-syndrome which leaves me with "no energy days" mostly and some with some more energy... so count me in on an "easy-going" basis.

Clan Name:

Chart

Training = 1 Point

And so on....

The who thing of training, rank structure, and overall level of realism I think is open to so much opinion and perspective. Just because one group uses a rank structure does not mean its anything like another group that may use a military ranks structure. That aside many people forget that the rank structure in most military forces is supplemental to the command structure which in any form of organization, military unit, civilian business, etc is what is more vital. To many groups utilize ranks, realism in different ways.

Our organization structures like we do based upon the organization itself, not the games in which we are involved in and play. However sometimes things mesh between the two on certain levels. Some groups base their structure and ranks completely around the game but tend to be the ones that are only involved in a specific game.

Also again people seem to have varying viewpoints on the basic concept of tactical shooters / tactical realism.

Anyway the idea of this kind of website could be a good idea if done correctly.... but as an individual who owns a Business Develop Company that provides consultation services for the development of various community and business organizations I would recommend you have a system in place that avoids to much opinion in set designations... or establish a clear cut line which determines these designations and is set by your organization. This can in some cases cause conflict and disagreement and puts the owners/operators in a position they may not want to be.

May be better to allow groups the ability to more accurately describe themselves and give people insight on their perspective and how they operate both with their members and the services they provided for the general public (if applicable).

The who thing of training, rank structure, and overall level of realism I think is open to so much opinion and perspective. Just because one group uses a rank structure does not mean its anything like another group that may use a military ranks structure. That aside many people forget that the rank structure in most military forces is supplemental to the command structure which in any form of organization, military unit, civilian business, etc is what is more vital. To many groups utilize ranks, realism in different ways.

Our organization structures like we do based upon the organization itself, not the games in which we are involved in and play. However sometimes things mesh between the two on certain levels. Some groups base their structure and ranks completely around the game but tend to be the ones that are only involved in a specific game.

Also again people seem to have varying viewpoints on the basic concept of tactical shooters / tactical realism.

Anyway the idea of this kind of website could be a good idea if done correctly.... but as an individual who owns a Business Develop Company that provides consultation services for the development of various community and business organizations I would recommend you have a system in place that avoids to much opinion in set designations... or establish a clear cut line which determines these designations and is set by your organization. This can in some cases cause conflict and disagreement and puts the owners/operators in a position they may not want to be.

May be better to allow groups the ability to more accurately describe themselves and give people insight on their perspective and how they operate both with their members and the services they provided for the general public (if applicable).

It was just a quick example......lol. No need to get all serious.

It was just a quick example......lol. No need to get all serious.

I understand and when you say serious... once again a complete opinion. My point exactly! People here really take things personally when its not. I only provided some insight and assessment to support the gentlemen with the idea. Sorry that other people have input and take time to support others.... that's why you posted right? Cheers.

I understand and when you say serious... once again a complete opinion. My point exactly! People here really take things personally when its not. I only provided some insight and assessment to support the gentlemen with the idea. Sorry that other people have input and take time to support others.... that's why you posted right? Cheers.

I wasn't mad or anything, I never took it personally. It's just that you replied to me in such a serious manner, when Myke said to keep any serious discussion within the group. I have no problem with you posting your opinion.

If you really want to help, then please join the group!

Edited by Nicholas

Lads, the final platform should be a place for everyone, no matter if he's looking just for a quick fun game or a hardcore realism unit.

Genius!

I tried making a simple thread for doing this a while ago, but obviously it never worked out. What do you need help on exactly?

Genius!

I tried making a simple thread for doing this a while ago, but obviously it never worked out. What do you need help on exactly?

The actual task is to define what it will contain, how the forum should be organized/set up and once we have a website internally online to work on (before going live) to fill with content as needed.

After that, we will need moderators that keep an eye that forum rules are followed. Basically what should happen there is up to the community, our work will happen behind the scene, keep the forum working properly and civilized (if this is possible within the arma community ;) ).

Simply said, we need people with ideas and time.

When reading this thread something popped to my mind:

What you'd probably really want to create is a kind of social network for the Arma / ArmA 2 community. Call it Armabook, or myArma, or Arma+ or whatever, but I guess you get the picture. I'm not in any of those social networks, but if there was one dedicated to the BIS Community, I'd be the first to join.

There are so many small communities scattered around in national communities (i.e all the German clans hang out with other German clans) which is perfectly okay, but think of what could be done if there was actually a somewhat international interaction. It would certainly spawn new leagues, help with creating community events and be the foundation for new clans/casual gamer groups.

And if the thing has mastered the first baby steps and has proven it's functionality, I'm very positive that platform will get support from everywhere, maybe even by the gods themselves.

However you deem this idea, what I think the community needs is something to de-clutter the field and make playing together more accessible and - more importantly - easier to find like-minded players for a "quickie".

I am definitely going to follow how this develops. Though my skills regarding webdesign / administration are rather crude, I'm always happy to help out when needed.

If you need my help with anything specific: You know where to find me.

Edited by Mondkalb

Good one, Mondkalb! :D

Although the fundamental functionality should IMO be:

users fills in his preferences => a list of people and groups that closest match his preferences pops up

All the rest is just a supplement. Don't you agree? I mean if I had the above the only addition thing I'd need would be the people's and groups availability.

You mean like eHarmony for Arma 2?

You mean like eHarmony for Arma 2?

Erm, yeah, if it suits the description :)

Myke;1989217']Lads' date=' the final platform should be a place for everyone, no matter if he's looking just for a quick fun game or a hardcore realism unit.[/quote']

That's whats funny... we are not some "hardcore realism unit". I just think its hard to scale those sort of things. Look forward to seeing what is done here and believe you could create a great place for everyone like I mentioned in a previous thread. Best of luck.

I assume most of the people here will try to make some "realism" unit whether they know how to function it or not, that is what ARMA has become nowadays. I prefer it if there are more people looking for a quick fun game sometimes. Just a bit too much 24/7 Domination on one end and hardcore realism unit on another.