Sign in to follow this  
PeterC

Main Mission Plot Ideas

I'm not sure if there is an official plot but still I would like to give my two cents about what I would like. I don't know about you but I like the plots in my games.

Personally I want something that is not based int he middle east, instead I would love a conflict somewhere new, a place where no game has gone to in recent memory, North Korea.

While yes, I know ARMA 2 does not deal with real countries I think it would be fun to play as an American soldier in a country like North Korea, which might even lead to WWIII (which can be played with more expansion packs). It would also be two modern armies fighting against each other which would be much more interesting to play in.

What type of mission do you want to see, or do you not care?

There is an official plot . Read the thread in my sig .:)

Woops.... ignore this thread then, I will repost it when ARMA 4 is announced ;)

I think it would be fun to speculate on the "backstory" of the plot, i.e. what happens between PMC and Arma3, how the war begins and progresses, etc.

Perhaps this might be a good place to start..the significance of the ARG.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=119602

We know that a map supposedly detailing an invasion plan of Europe was left by Spukayev, the intended target of a mission in the Harvest Red Campaign.

He was then killed in the attack of FOB Manhattan along with the Force Recon Team that picked him up. NAPA fighters told us that it was a Russian Spetznaz team that attacked the base.

Who was Spukayev, and why did he have the invasion plans in his possesion?

Ivan sadly said that Arma 3 will not be set directly connected to the happenings in arma 2 but have a rather small connection.

At this stage we can only speculate, so i think it would be the best to just wait some time until we have some more information

Ivan sadly said that Arma 3 will not be set directly connected to the happenings in arma 2 but have a rather small connection.

At this stage we can only speculate, so i think it would be the best to just wait some time until we have some more information

He said that Arma 3 will not continue directly from the ending of Arma 2 ;) .

He said that Arma 3 will not continue directly from the ending of Arma 2 ;) .

Which of course make sense with ArmA 3 being set many years in ArmA 2's future. So while as Ivan says it does not directly carry on from that point, parts of the plot may intertwine...

Would love to see previous, current, and future stories intertwine, indeed. Arma - the Modern Scrolls :p

Which of course make sense with ArmA 3 being set many years in ArmA 2's future. So while as Ivan says it does not directly carry on from that point, parts of the plot may intertwine...

Remember that a guy called "Reynolds" popped up in the ARG in connection with Scott Miller?

("Reynolds, recruit this guy!", or something of the sort.)

I'm guessing there will be some crossovers. :)

Reynolds must be one of those guys who wants the good of the world at all costs . Casualties don't matter .

Edited by Maio

Renegade ME Shepard = Reynolds.

But, but... He doesn't have glowing red scars and eyes :confused:

Well China got the spoiler tag in the ARG Q&A , but who here thinks they are going to have a role in the game ? I'm not talking about an actual invasion force , but more of "over watch" role . Maybe some SF or officers on the ground or under water :D "encouraging " the Iranians to take certain actions ?

Let the speculations roll !

Edited by Maio

At this point I'm assuming that the Iranians are being backed by the Chinese on the technological side, perhaps even getting chinese equipment, but I don't think we'll be seeing any actual PLA units in the game.

I also believe that the NATO side will be lablled as such - "NATO", not specifically the U.S., and the Iranian forces won't necessarily be called "Iran" either. This is because all the official material so far refers to "eastern armies" and "NATO", not to any specific nations.

My guess is that the back story to Arma3 will include some kind of "war in the middle east" - basically Arabs vs. Israelis, but BIS probably won't be that specific. That war ends with Iran dominating the region and ultimately forming some kind of unified middle eastern bloc that will probably be called "Persian [something]"... Persian Empire, Persian Coalition, whatever. (Yes, I think the name "Persian Black Hat Boys" in the ARG had some significance.)

My guess is that the back story to Arma3 will include some kind of "war in the middle east" - basically Arabs vs. Israelis, but BIS probably won't be that specific. That war ends with Iran dominating the region and ultimately forming some kind of unified middle eastern bloc that will probably be called "Persian [something]"... Persian Empire, Persian Coalition, whatever. (Yes, I think the name "Persian Black Hat Boys" in the ARG had some significance.)

That's the same conclusion I reached. It also goes some way to explaining Israeli hardware in the hands of Middle Eastern aggressors.

I also think that the NATO main force will be a multinational one seeing the mix of equipment we got .

Since Europe is almost overrun it's only logical that the US is doing most of the flying , prob due to a shortage in fighter jets and a US carrier battle group sent to the area . The ground force will consist of solders and gear from all European NATO members and the US . That way BIS can please both US/EU players . Add a country patch on their shoulder and voila .

That's how I would do it anyway .

Plus when your home country got invaded, you can't be picky in terms of gear . Plus it's 2020 something , we can assume that NATO is a much more modular force .

The August 2011 issue of PC Gamer US states:

The context is new and bleak: in the near future, the US and its allies are underdogs in World War III against a powerful, Iran-led military that has occupied Europe and Northern Africa. The nuclear gloves have come off, but there's still a world left to fight over with our new fictional conventional warfare toys - in particular, a large Mediterranean island called Limnos.

Edited by Zipper5

i'm not trying to troll or be funny, but i guarantee that there will be a nuclear missile bomb, or nuke of some type in this game.

The invasion of Europe could start with a series of terrorist and missile attacks, some of them utilizing nuclear weapons. Perhaps several NATO members have already been overrun or effectively neutralized with atomic arms? There could be some free Georgians/Ukrainians/Turks/etc fighting on a la Charles de Gaulle. That'd make for a really interesting side-plot or two.

I don't think Georgia is a NATO member yet and I'm not 100% sure Ukraine is, but I know they were both working on it a few years back, and they probably would be by 2020 or whatever.

Where the hell is Turkey in all this? To get past them, Iran would need an actual economy.

I guess maybe Iran could court them into joining their coalition, but that seems unlikely. Iran could always be an economic mooch and use the combined wealth of a large group of allies. The money would have to come in through some backchannel means due to the sanctions on Iran. Either that or there would have to be some significant change in the political situation. Of course, that's also a requirement for the war as well.

i'm not trying to troll or be funny, but i guarantee that there will be a nuclear missile bomb, or nuke of some type in this game.

I think that how arg hinted some more nusty weapons will be used in these wars. Timeseker mentioned penicillin, that either mean some biological warfare will be used, perhaps even we will have to use gas mask, or only antibiotics stop to work. Antipersonal mines (forbiden now) are confirmed by Ivan. Geneva convention and Ten rules of war was mentioned by timeseeker so I think we can expect severe and unscrupulous conflicts.

Edited by BoboCZ

All out war or guerrilla war... nothing is forbidden. :p