Sign in to follow this  
djfluffwug

ArmA 3 Multiplayer Ideas and Improvements

In advanced, sorry if there is already a thread like this but I did a quick search and couldn't see one.

I thought I would make a post so everyone can post their ideas and improvements for multiplayer in ArmA 3. I will start by laying down some of my ideas.

1. Better Multiplayer Browser UI

For new ArmA players most find that the Browser is confusing. The list of multiplayer sessions looks scrambled and quite hard to understand. Also, for some reason (As others have noted) most of the empty servers are shown at the top and it is quite hard to find populated games. I think the browser should be filtered by lowest ping vs player count so there is a good amount of players and a low ping. This would help new players find a suitable game to join with ease.

2. Auto Mod Downloading

I saw someone list this on the forum earlier and it would help new players into games without having to search the net for hours on how to install mods and which ones to install. I am not sure exactly how this would be implemented as there are various ways but I think this would be a good feature.

3. Improved Game Modes

I think this is one of the things that makes new players turn away from the ArmA series (Well atleast my friends I know). The vanilla game modes don't seem to be up to scratch. For the casual new player they are boring and hard to understand. Most new players are thrown into a hostile and unnatural environment and have no idea what to do. I see many players going onto ArmA servers and constantly asking what to do. Their needs to be maybe a popup instructional box at the start of the game briefly describing the game mode and how to play. This would help new players into the confusing world of ArmA drastically. If this was implemented I don't think we would have anyone really asking how to play. Also, the game modes need to be polished so more servers will implement them. Hardly any of the ArmA 2 servers are running vanilla game modes.

I could think of more but I don't want to ramble on too much. I would like to hear anyone elses multiplayer Ideas and Improvements for Arma 3 :D

And PLEASE keep the posts friendly and non arguementative!

Better nedcode x10000000000000000. Yellow chain, red chain, Arma every 5 minutes = you have lost connection.

1. Personally I like ArmA 2's session browser

2. That would be good as long as downloads aren't slow

3. My friend the editor can help you out there

as Rye said better netcode would be awesome also without that god damned warping

The only thing AA2 browser lacks is 'favourites' so I don't have to constantly retype the needed server name in 'filter' if I'm playing on more than one (which I do).

Other than that the browser is good.

I don't see how the server browser is not user-friendly, but then again, it's basically been the same thing since Operation Flashpoint. I've been playing since OFP came out, so I'm probably used to it. As metalcraze said, I would absolutely love to see a an option to "Favorite" a server and have a list of "Favorites" that we can view.

Auto downloading of required mods would be pretty cool, but some mods/addons can be huge in size, so it might be best to have the option to offer a link that users can click on to take them to a website where they can download the mods/addons.

There are already tutorials in the game, I do not believe that a multiplayer tutorial is needed gameplay-wise. Perhaps something basic like showing how to chat, voice chat, and change channels.

Edited by Nicholas

@djfluffwug

i'm afraid that the MP side will be virtually unplayable, or, if you are a rich guy, you may rent a Google mainframe

Edited by Zukov

Auto downloading of required mods would be pretty cool, but some mods/addons can be huge in size, so it might be best to have the option to offer a link that users can click on to take them to a website where they can download the mods/addons.

Download links are probably the only thing possible here. Basically what BIS needs to do is just make it possible to encode DL link into pbo for modders so when you are connecting to a server it will send you the link. And even then it won't be ideal (dead links)

Because in no way it will be possible for BIS to hold a server with all mods on it because of how many of them are constantly created and, possibly, their sizes. Plus bandwidth.

Then again the best solution is to not be lazy and use google.

There are already tutorials in the game, I do not believe that a multiplayer tutorial is needed gameplay-wise. Perhaps something basic like showing how to chat, voice chat, and change channels.

Besides many players often modify a mission to their needs or play it differently so newbies will always feel lost.

Edited by metalcraze

I tend to seriously write down changes in the notes section (because they are not few). One thing I haven't succeeded on is getting new guys to actually read it.

Basically what BIS needs to do is just make it possible to encode DL link into pbo for modders so when you are connecting to a server it will send you the link. And even then it won't be ideal (dead links)

It would be preferable to let the server config hold links, of course.

The mod list on the mp screen should be more expressive and interactive, I think.

Coloring the mods depending on whether you have them and if they're disabled.

And click the mod form to get the download links provided by the server.

Though, I think the problem might be a little overrated. Perhaps it would be simpler to just have better filters for non-official mods. And get all the filters onto the main mp screen too while we're at it.

stuff like that.

Sorry for not having my searching skills up to scratch. Though I thought a seperate post for Multiplayer ideas would be good since multiplayer is a large part of the ArmA series.