Sign in to follow this  
Nicholas

TrackIR - 6 DoF

Did I ever say that?

No you never did say it, but if you would have noticed, I was asking you a question. Not making a statement.

The TKOH community preview had 6DOF and you could use it in other helicopters, oddly however it couldn't be used in most other vehicles and there was only one plane (community made) that I could use it in.

With any luck this feature will be included and expanded in Arma3.

Yup. It even works without TrackIR - just hold down left ctrl and move around laterally while ctrl+q and ctrl+e (iirc) banks your head.

No you never did say it, but if you would have noticed, I was asking you a question. Not making a statement.

Don't worry, these funny people will go away in a time these admins start using their powers to give infractions for not contributing in a thread.

Guys stop talking bullshit and talk about the thread title or STFU

However, 6DOF would be really nice.

As BIS has already done the graphical improvement at most parts, now should the immersion/ gameplay/ features come on top so why not modify the engine to suit 6DOF? Takes away nothing and it should not be too hard, I know nothing about the programming of this subject but as the base 4DOF is already in older revisions of Real Virtuality it shouldn't be too hard to add an another axis to roll around.

---------- Post added at 12:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 AM ----------

The TKOH community preview had 6DOF and you could use it in other helicopters, oddly however it couldn't be used in most other vehicles and there was only one plane (community made) that I could use it in.

With any luck this feature will be included and expanded in Arma3.

How about a guess?

The models did not have modeled interiors. Was not this the explanation why free look was not in most vehicles in Arma 2?

I'm expecting A3 to have 6DoF in choppers ala ToH and I hope it will be in all vehicles.

I did try Y (up/down) but found it quite hard to use while sitting in a chair so I duno if it will be very paractical for infantry. I hope its still an option anyway.

How about a guess?

The models did not have modeled interiors. Was not this the explanation why free look was not in most vehicles in Arma 2?

That's something different, load up a ground vehicle, or fixed wing and you'll see the 6DOF doesn't effect them. Yet some community made addons other than helicopters are effected.

Edited by NodUnit

There's also the issue of interiors not being sufficiently modeled, as was the case with the non-implementation of full 6DoF in the IL2 series of flight sims. If the interior is modeled to look good from one position, the high possibility is that sides of panels etc are simply not there, so leaning would reveal these holes.

You two pack it in before I rape both of you.

Any ways I am sure BIS will add trackIR but not sure it will be 6DOF that would be cool though if they did.

I hope they add 6DOF for Free track though :)

You two pack it in before I rape both of you.

Any ways I am sure BIS will add trackIR but not sure it will be 6DOF that would be cool though if they did.

I hope they add 6DOF for Free track though :)

If the game supports 6DOF then it would logically work for all tracking systems, unless they artificially restricted it due to license agreements.

A few years ago we tested an internal beta mod made by NP for Half-Life 2 that incorporated the first full 6DOF in a FPS. Worked great actually, and it's great to be able to just peek over the top of a crate or around a corner.

I think the only thing holding this kind of implementation back from Arma, and what we found in the mod, is that it substantially increases the amount of net traffic during online play. Subtle head and body movements need to be sent across the network in real time which is significantly more than just crouching/prone/standing/leaned left...etc. since it's incremental.

It worked fine for the half dozen of us at one time but I'm pretty sure this was one of the big factors for full implementation in MP games by developers and perhaps why it is the way it is now in ArmA.

Subtle head and body movements need to be sent across the network in real time which is significantly more than just crouching/prone/standing/leaned left...etc. since it's incremental.

Hmm yeah, I hadn't considered that.

One way to 'cheat it' would be not to make the character animation fluid but have only two or three stages of height. So others would see you move up a bit when you lift a certain amount then another a bit higher and the final at max height. The animation system should be able to make a smooth transition between the stages so it looks fluid to other players but the network traffic would only have to deal with 3 height steps. (maybe even just 2 would work)

It would mean a slight difference from your view to your character head position but I assume the movement range will not be alot so shouldn't affect gameplay. (ie being sniped when peeking over something)

Edited by EDcase

Unfortunately it's not just animations but damage modelling as well. ;)

A few years ago we tested an internal beta mod made by NP for Half-Life 2 that incorporated the first full 6DOF in a FPS. Worked great actually, and it's great to be able to just peek over the top of a crate or around a corner.

I think the only thing holding this kind of implementation back from Arma, and what we found in the mod, is that it substantially increases the amount of net traffic during online play. Subtle head and body movements need to be sent across the network in real time which is significantly more than just crouching/prone/standing/leaned left...etc. since it's incremental.

It worked fine for the half dozen of us at one time but I'm pretty sure this was one of the big factors for full implementation in MP games by developers and perhaps why it is the way it is now in ArmA.

TrackIR heads are already synched in MP, so that implies an amount of existing traffic already. As body movements & stances are also already synched based on player actions, I reckon there wouldn''t be too much new traffic.

TrackIR heads are already synched in MP, so that implies an amount of existing traffic already. As body movements & stances are also already synched based on player actions, I reckon there wouldn''t be too much new traffic.

Yes, perhaps. I'm hardly an expert in this, but I suspect it's already a struggle as it is for bandwidth in the current netcode and in my experience online with ArmA I'd say there's quite a bit of dropped frames in the animations which I suspect reflects lower fidelity in the positional updating as well. It may well be a simple thing to add the extra axes as you say though.