Sign in to follow this  
-martin-

Windows 8

Always fun to see how people try to hold on to what they are used to. Always have to laugh about those XP users who revert to W2000 look, restore "My Computer" etc icons to the Desktop, etc

Well I understand what you mean, but what is the problem in holding on to what you are used to if it works for you? I've been clicking the start button to find my applications since Windows 95 and it works, so why change it and get used to something else that will give me the same result?

As they say "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" :tongue:

You probably won't be surprised but I still have the My Computer icon on my desktop (I can access it trough the start button and I do when I'm in an application). When I'm on the desktop I just ram my mouse in to the top left corner of the screen and double click. Why? Because it’s easier - I don't want to look trough the start menu for find it and also because that’s what I've been doing since I Windows 95.

Re the registry - someone can make a .reg file that does it for you.

Perhaps they will make it a real option to switch in the final product..

I hope they make it an option yes.gif

One hint on the new start menu; press the start button and start typing what you are looking for,

and of course put your most used applications on the first page

That's very similar to Gnome 3, but I still think it's unnecessary to take up the whole screen with giant icons just to start an application with your mouse pointer which is 20x20 pixels.

If you follow their design process you really notice how they are making everything more user-friendly without dumbing down the OS.

All I see if that they are following the design process of other OS's while making something that was tried and proven for 16 years and what really made Windows take off more complicated and less user friendly for people who have a mouse nea.gif

I don't understand why they are showing touch screens on to PC's, it’s absolutely useless because the easiest way and sometimes the only sensible way to do some things on a PC is to use a mouse - e.g. 3D modelling.

I bet your arm would hurt pretty bad after using a touch screen for 8 hours every day at work :tongue:

Why some people can't wait until Windows 8 is released?

Seems like they have nothing else to worry about than how it looks, sounds and which buttons are bigger than others....

Because when its released its a bit too late to change something, but if you tell them now they will think about it again, don’t think that Microsoft doesn’t read all the rants about Windows 8 on the internet.

And also when you work professionally on a computer you have to worry about how your work OS is developing :wink_o:

Edited by -Martin-

If I download and install the Beta

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516

How do I uninstall it? Do I really have to delete everything?

If I understand you correctly you mean if you have to format your hard drive after to remove Windows 8?

Then the answer is no, you don't have to format, re-boot or do anything like that, you can install Windows 8 using a Virtual Machine which is a program that lets you run a different OS on your current OS, something like running ArmA 2 in window mode. It will make a virtual hard disk (a file) which you can then put in the recycle bin and delete as usual when you are done testing w8.

Download VirtualBox (http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,71402/description.html)

And the follow this tutorial that I found for you:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/240117/how_to_download_and_install_windows_8_into_a_virtual_machine.html

good.gif

-Martin- most professionals and companies don't switch to another OS suddenly or by accident. In fact most are just waiting to see how it really works outside "beta's" or "MS marketing booth" or yellow press ("windows/pc experts") news+articles. Its more important how all the applications/programms/drivers/etc do work with Windows 8. The look of the desktop is eyecandy and most users know how to customize it sooner or later.

-Martin- most professionals and companies don't switch to another OS suddenly or by accident. In fact most are just waiting to see how it really works outside "beta's" or "MS marketing booth" or yellow press ("windows/pc experts") news+articles. Its more important how all the applications/programms/drivers/etc do work with Windows 8. The look of the desktop is eyecandy and most users know how to customize it sooner or later.

I know, I'm never said that everyone is suddenly going to switch to Windows 8 - I'm going to stay with windows 7 for a long time to come, however there will come the time when people and companies will start to make the switch and it's important to watch how the OS is developing and leave some feedback for the beta.

The way in which the OS develops will also influence new applications which is important if you work in that field e.g. if this Metro UI catches on lot’s applications will be made to integrate with it instead of focusing on the old desktop.

Edited by -Martin-

Has anyone tried running arma2 on it yet? Is it mature enough or doesn't it accept the graphics drivers?

OK I have tried it.

I have to admit, I like the Idea of having all my favourite Programms (or Apps as they call it) on the new start screen.

It seems that the rest is easy to access and the old Desktop is only a klick away.

What I don´t like: Missing RMB function. I can´t right klick on a app and select run as administartor if I wish to do so. I have to go through the old desktop.

And I don´t like this whole App stuff.

I think Microsoft wants to sell Apps with Win 8, I don´t know if thats really a good thing. My PC isn´t a Smrtphone!

Has anyone tried running arma2 on it yet? Is it mature enough or doesn't it accept the graphics drivers?

Good idea, I'm goanna try it.

OK I have tried it.

I have to admit, I like the Idea of having all my favourite Programms (or Apps as they call it) on the new start screen.

It seems that the rest is easy to access and the old Desktop is only a klick away.

What I don´t like: Missing RMB function. I can´t right klick on a app and select run as administartor if I wish to do so. I have to go through the old desktop.

How long did it take for you to boot up? I'm very surprised at how fast it boots, I installed it on to my other hard drive and it was damn quick! :butbut:

The boot menu you get if you have 2 operating systems is also nice and graphical, not like the old DOS like interference.

After getting the start menu back (and seeing less of the Metro UI) I'm pretty much pleased with windows 8:

My only two recommendations before they release:

- Option to bring the start menu back

- Option to go right in to the desktop after log on - not the Metro UI

I think Microsoft wants to sell Apps with Win 8,

I read that Microsoft confirmed there will be an app store, so you can either buy applications from it or you can download them from the company’s website like now.

To me it’s kind of pointless but I think if they design the "app store" properly it will help casual people find software, install it etc... much more easily then now - Google around for it etc... so I don't think there is any harm in having it as long as you don’t have to use it if you don’t want to.

However I don't like the word "app" seems like some teenager word to me.

Well I fear that they might take some advanced or new usefull features and sell them seperately as app. I realky wouldn't like this.

I started Sudoku on Win 8

TAP to start a new game
???

TAP? I think they are really trying to hard with that Touch screen stuff

I started Sudoku on Win 8

???

TAP? I think they are really trying to hard with that Touch screen stuff

What's the point of a touch screen when it takes less effort to use a mouse? It's probably a feature for mobile phones and tablets I guess. I hope it will be possible to convince windows 8 that I don't have a touch screen lol.

Well it's just a BETA so we can just wait and see.... problem is that it's a BETA and not Alpha :(

Plus it has "mobile" written all over it :(

The .ISO mount is good though.

Something to think about

demotivational-posters-history.jpg

I really don´t know if this new interface will be very usefull, especially if you are working on multiple things at once....

Please see this thread. And yes, at least on some configs it runs just fine.

I will not be buying Windows 8 - it's for tablets and phones. I hear they have extended the support for Win7 because they know sales will be poor. Ubuntu tried this as well with Unity - 50% of their supporters went elsewhere. They are no good for multi-tasking.

Ubuntu tried this as well with Unity - 50% of their supporters went elsewhere. They are no good for multi-tasking.

By "went elsewhere" you mean "sudo apt-get install kde" or "sudo apt-get install gnome", right? :cool:

No they downloaded Linux Mint, because it works! (Ubuntu used to proudly boast that, not any more).

No they downloaded Linux Mint, because it works! (Ubuntu used to proudly boast that, not any more).

Nah, they upgrade to latest Ubuntu and continue to use their previous desktop environment, choose it during installation or use google to figure out how to install it. Sorry for being off-topic, I just wanted to point at another fact that is just your biased opinion. I'm outta here!

Well you can do that but the Ubuntu statistics say otherwise?

http://distrowatch.com/

See the top spot occupied by Linux Mint? That is where Ubuntu used to be. It's a stark warning for Microsoft as the Windows 8 UI is very similar to Unity.

Also see this analysis over time of the Ubuntu demise:

http://www.unixmen.com/linuxmint-vs-ubuntu-a-growth-analysis/

Edited by PELHAM

Well you can do that but the Ubuntu statistics say otherwise?

http://distrowatch.com/

See the top spot occupied by Linux Mint? That is where Ubuntu used to be.

And such statistics showing page hits per day on page of OS that takes almost everything from Ubuntu and Debian isn't interesting at all.

Windows 8 UI is very similar to Unity.

Not really.

TL;DR (also less crappy site next time please)

Got anything to support the popularity of Unity and Windows 8 Metro type interfaces have you? The coders on these forums like me will not like them as they make working with multiple windows more difficult than the standard desktop interface. It's the task bar, I'm using Unity right now.

To switch to another window I have to move my mouse to the left, wait for the bar to animate, click and click again. Or press the super key and remember a confusing array of keyboard shortcuts. The view you get that zooms out to show you multiple windows makes them too small to distinguish between similar text editor windows (I'm using a 24" monitor).

Good old Alt-Tab will only switch between open aplications not their windows, if you keep pressing the super Key it's back to zooming out and you can't tell which text window is which. The only thing that saves it is that some applications have tabs. It just doesn't work for most people, the Task Bar is faster, clearer and simpler.

The web is full of discussions like this along with ample proof that Unity harmed Ubuntu's popularity. The grumbles about Metro are starting as Microsoft have made similar mistakes. If you download and try the latest consumer preview you will see what I mean about the multitasking aspect. It makes what should be simple, clunky and awkward. I have no problem with Unity and Metro on certain devices as they are more suitable. The key thing here is choice. If I am sitting at a desk with a mouse and keyboard I want to choose a desktop layout and not have Metro butting in all the time. If I have a tablet and want to do some reading or browsing - Metro is preferred.

Just imagine the problems in a large office. At least I can figure out a way to get around Metro most of the time, what about people that find PC interaction difficult. It's going to cost billions in re-training across industry and for that reason they will not move to Windows 8. MS might try to force the issue eventually, who knows maybe they think they can profit from all the retraining. In the short term if they keep trying to force Metro on everyone the way Shuttleworth did with Unity, Windows 8 sales will not be good.

My point is that in Ubuntu you can still do "sudo apt-get install xfce" (or repalce xfce with other DE) and start using classic desktop in few minutes.

Win 8 will feature UEFI secure booting: http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/5850.html. To clarify: MS will require ARM device vendors to basically lock the devices to Win 8.

I hope ARMA4 will still run on my Win 7 with hardware-upgrade-supported feature that cost me 6x price of A2:CO with 50% discount.

Edited by batto

Skip every other iteration of Windows.

I agree. Windows seems to be stuck in that cycle I do not have much faith in "Windows 8"

Skip every other iteration of Windows.

Amen brother! Go tell it on the mountain! ;)

(You never know we might be surprised and get what we want for a change lol)