Sign in to follow this  
nkenny

What takes the most time when designing missions?

What takes the most time when designing missions?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. What takes the most time when designing missions?

• Concept and design; Situation and Setting.
    • Choosing a workable location on the map
    • Scripts and other framework
    • Writing the briefing and other finishing touches
    • Equipment and vehicle selection for balance
    • Seeking tutorials or reading guides
    • Other-- please specify!
    • I don't use the mission editor.

Cutscenes, easily. Especially when trying to include some spawned stuff in. Then there is always long fighting with AI when they refuse look at right direction or dont walk/stop where I wanted.

Also the story/dialog writing with briefings/overviews takes much time when I try to write something.

Custom scripting / MP testing would be my top ones. Easily get tied up in custom scripting for a month, then place all the units in 30 minutes.

OP:

Others.

The testing takes the most time in my opinion. Scripts come as second place. The hard thing (with the Arma engine) is that you have to make situations work 100%. There are 1000 ways the situations could run through - especially when AI is involved... :( They always do something different... :)

Play testing the triggers and making sure the correct endings work for the correct outcome. Also playing through the mission dozens of times trying to see if there are any bugs present.

Usually I wont find any, others do though. :/

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 PM ----------

Good poll btw

Usually I wont find any, others do though. :/

That's true! :D

I voted "Other", namely testing.

That takes the most time for me, though somewhat depending on what I aim for - a quickie for me and my clan mates, or an epic blockbuster with 50.000 Armaholic downloads (good luck with that Trudy :p )

Other than that I spend some time on replayability and ways to achieve that. Depending on which island/map the mission is placed on it could be a while searching for the perfect spot for the action.

Only ~10% of the mission projects I start will ever see the (public) light of day. Sometimes it's because I get stuck on some script or detail that just won't work the way I want it to, but more often because I get a new fresh idea (which somehow always seems more appealing :) ) and start to work on that instead. And then Repeat process :D ...

There are so many talented mission makers in the OFP/ArmA community, and their work is a constant source of inspiration for me. It's great to see that you can do almost whatever you set your mind to! :)

)rStrangelove;1956848']Others - TESTING TESTING TESTING do triggers work' date=' does the mission end, does a vehicle patrol end up underneath a bridge and do all helicopters have decend space at their landing pads.

Testing possibilities are endless tbh.[/quote']

I agree with this, I spend easily double the amount of time testing my missions as I do actually creating them. This is the most important part about mission making...

Mostly I am doing simple missions or campaigns without any complicated scripts. It takes me almost the same amount of time to do the mission and then testing it. In campaigns also creation intro/outro and cutsceens takes me almost as much time as making normal missions.