Sign in to follow this  
Avgeris

Building Destruction

Building Destruction  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Building Destruction

• Fully Realistic (bricks injure bystanders)
    • Include Physics but not bricks
    • Keep ArmA2 (with ready made models and ivisble fragments)

BIS did a better job with ArmA2 and it improved with Arrowhead, as far as Buildings are concerned.

Now we got physics. Is there any change we got realistic building destruction and frags or brick chand to wound people inside and outside?

Would you like this?

Keep the ones we got in OA. Physical destruction would cause useless performance loss IMO.

Keep the ones we got in OA. Physical destruction would cause useless performance loss IMO.

but it would look WAAAAAY cooler and it would affect gameplay...

i voted fully realistic, this ofc only if it did not impact performance, wich it will in a HUGE way..

fully realistic, with choosable options, to lower the realistic impact, down to nearly ArmA2 level, if the mission performance decreasing too much. (serverside, or mission module)

I actually think, as things like this were already possible since 10 years, it should be possible to make it without a big performance loss.

I think a building destruction system similar to the frostbite 3 (except tuned for realism) would be the ideal solution as it does not require a large amount of performance or hardware acceleration while still adding a whole new dimension to arma. you could have a hole still blown in the wall with out physx like frostbite 3 and have physx toggolable (for lesser performing systems) and have realistic debris crumbling and shrapnel flying. Think of the options this would add as opposed to the current system in a2! why go through the front door when I could breach the wall? think of the osoma raid for instance where the second team had to breach the walls to enter the compound and many door ways were bricked in forcing them to breach walls.

Edited by kvnastn

I can't imagine any good netcode, where we're already struggling, coming from realism. So I have to vote keep it where it's at - it's not perfect but it works and with some effort on my part, quite believable.

dito!

If you have a NASA computer to hook up, maybe.

Most other games with full building destruction use very limited levels and inverse kinematics: look at Half Life, for example, or Battlefield.

I´m okay with the way it is now, all I ask is that AI can navigate and use buildings, even if they´re destroyed. (Right now they don´t know what to do with buildings even if they´re intact.)

I want full realistic dynamic and maybe immersive destruction. I want to put a abrams in the editor wandering around in the map and blow the f..k out of everything in sight. Go BIS. :cool:

P.S. @OP Wtf with your signature?

P.S. @OP Wtf with your signature?

You have good points there, the signature is my favourite dialog from a dramatic cult movie with deeper meanings. I transalated it for the community

If you have a NASA computer to hook up, maybe.

Most other games with full building destruction use very limited levels and inverse kinematics: look at Half Life, for example, or Battlefield.

I´m okay with the way it is now, all I ask is that AI can navigate and use buildings, even if they´re destroyed. (Right now they don´t know what to do with buildings even if they´re intact.)

NASA for the most part has relatively garbage computers compared to the consumer gaming market however i am not asking for an accurate physics simulation for every single particle in every single brick in every single building. I want a semi-accurate looking representation of a destroyed wall as an end result if not only for gameplay purposes. It would not take that much to run this as arma 2 is not a very demanding game (I average 40% CPU usage) just highly unoptomized. if fully optimized this would not be a large hit at all.

just highly unoptomized. if fully optimized this would not be a large hit at all.

this is the best thing we heard today