Sign in to follow this  
dmarkwick

Game mode proposal

I made this observation over on the A2 forum:

2 opposing players, each opens the editor. One player places defences around a selected area on the map, the other organises an offensive force to occupy that same area. Neither knows the plans of the other.

Then, the missions are merged into one using the merge missions editor functionality. Neither player must observe the newly merged mission, they just play blind.

Obviously, some sort of agreement must exist between the players as to unit numbers and vehicle counts etc.

I think 2 people could play this through the editor. It would mean new editor functionality though, either that or a specific editor-lite especially for this game mode.

Why only two players, how about make it pvp with two teams led by two people controlling high-command? :rolleyes:

I like the idea though!

Sounds like it's inspired a little by table top games. I like. :)

I don´t quite see the difference to normal Hold missions which none of the players except the makers knows about either, or a CTI game with random starting points. Where´s the reason for a 'new mode' here?

Might be fun on 2 player LAN´s, like "hey i´ve build myself a fortress, try to get me, you scum!" but then again ArmA is not the game where you build a fortress that easily or quickly.

Why only two players, how about make it pvp with two teams led by two people controlling high-command? :rolleyes:

I like the idea though!

Indeed. Perhaps I should say "opposing sides" but I expect only 2 individuals to actually do the editing.

---------- Post added at 02:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

I don´t quite see the difference to normal Hold missions which none of the players except the makers knows about either, or a CTI game with random starting points. Where´s the reason for a 'new mode' here?

Because each player can place their units at the time, no peeking possible and no uncontrolled randomisation, localised to an area decided on at the time of the session, at whatever time & weather they decide on, with any unit makeup they decide on. Allows for maximum surprise and ingenuity :)

Because each player can place their units at the time, no peeking possible and no uncontrolled randomisation, localised to an area decided on at the time of the session, at whatever time & weather they decide on, with any unit makeup they decide on. Allows for maximum surprise and ingenuity :)

There once was a great OFP mission, featuring BWMod units i think, where you needed to setup some defences around a town via the action menu - mg bunkers, sandbagwalls and czech hedgehogs .. that was pretty brilliant and enjoyable, though SP.

But i still don´t get how the 2 players editing approach would be feasible.

Maybe if one player got to lay out his defense stuff in a 3DE kind of console while the other one gets prompted with a (customize/randomizeable) unit selection window and the ability to select his starting point on a map (or having that random too), all from one mission framework - instead of the 2x editor and merge way - you´d just start the mission, have a timeout for defence laying and offense planning .. and then go for it.

Other than that i don´t see it being fun for anyone else other than the newbies playing against theirselfes in a "come get me" manner.

And that´s apart from the point where i don´t understand why you would´nt be able to do all that right now with the editor we got ... seems the thing you really want is an editor with MP function :D

That reminds me of the setup part of the pen and paper game Battleship.

How hard could it be to automate that process (merging) of both missions externaly to arma?

I like the ideia though.

And that´s apart from the point where i don´t understand why you would´nt be able to do all that right now with the editor we got ... seems the thing you really want is an editor with MP function :D

Well I suppose it's the immediacy of the game mode, no set mission. Different every time :)

Saying "it can already be done" can be applied to any game mode. I just like the sound of the original premise in the first post being available natively.

thats an inneresting concept. reminds me of total war in a way. also reminds me of those dialup C&C matches i often pwayed 12yrs ago.

You can create this realtime in the mission too, with Real Time Editor, missions like Battle Center and MCC.