Sign in to follow this  
MoS

Netcode and the new engine?

New engine, tons of new features but... will it blend?

I mean, what about the netcode? All that lagging killed any last bit of immersion...

I felt this was the biggest setback which carried on from Armed Assault I until today. This is why I´m kinda sad that it hasn´t been explicitly featured on the feature list.

So what do some of our expertst think? Do the new developments of the engine inherit a revamp of the existing netcode or will it be an even worse lag-festival?

Hope it's a revamp. Or mp will be completely destroyed again.

I'm most hopeful about this, if it ain't fixed this time around, it'll be hard to get too excited.

Yea this really is the make or break question. Lag, physics & animations are the 3 areas that need the most attention imo, at least two have been directly addressed, lets just hope for no unit warping.

Let's not forget about the A.I.

I wouldn´t count on that one. You know Artificial Intelligence is one of the slowest (if not THE slowest) part in the development of PC games in general today.

I also think it isn´t THAT important cause you know... OFP was fun too altough the AI was dumb as a slice of bread.

For me, the one thing that kept OFP alive for so long was the huge amount of multiplayer servers and players and all those fantastic coops.

It´s really sad that most of this has vanished :(

I think the AI is great.

The netcode however NEEDS attention.

The warping is a game breaker.

Agreed!

If BIS cannot fix the netcode, I will have a frenzied rage for buying the 1500€ computer for the game I still can not play in internet.

Its not a new engine its RV 4.0

But yes if there still warping issues with AI and players in MP then MP wll be DOA.

BIS really need to focus on eliminating these old flaws with their engine which is whats most important to me with this new installment.

You know I´ve thought about it... it all began with the implementation of JIP. I would go so far and say if that it ruined the game (for me at least) multiplayer-wise. If I had the choice between JIP and a stable warp-free MP I´d definately choose the stable MP!

Wasn´t it fun when people joined together in the lobby and waited until enough players arrived? Being together in the briefing screen and waiting until the last dumb ass finally realized he hadn´t pressed "Ready" yet? *g*

Well anyway I just played a TvT Domination map and I died several times because of stupid lag and desync (another guy shot me through a huge thick fallen tree, which on his computer was standing there perfectly fine and healthy...!).

Please BIS surpise us with a reworked netcode!

Hope it's a revamp. Or mp will be completely destroyed again.

ArmA 2's MP was not completely destroyed... If it was, then I'm not sure what I've been playing for these two years...

Its not a new engine its RV 4.0

But yes if there still warping issues with AI and players in MP then MP wll be DOA.

BIS really need to focus on eliminating these old flaws with their engine which is whats most important to me with this new installment.

Well RV 4.0 technically is a new engine. It's as new as Unreal 3.0 is to Unreal 2.0.

AI really aren't that bad in ArmA considering how stupid AI is in games with much less to worry about (Any AI in any "Ego Shooter").