Sign in to follow this  
skadog

Best formations for urban environment?

I was just wondering what formations people have been using for AI groups in city / urban environments such as Fallujah or the center of Zargabad?

Nothing seems quite right for CQB to me, the closest formations to a "stacked" formation appears to be either file or staggered.

Also does anyone have any suggestions for keeping you AI units from trailing to far behind when navigating through these locations? My units seem to become spread out too far between buildings and/or become separated and lost.

yea, theres not much you can do if you want them to just follow you.

Even in tight formation the AI tends to fall back fast very fast and get stuck which is very annoying. best thing atm is formation diamond in danger mod or just tell your team to move, then they do it immediatly.

I tend to use the Tight Line formation (and double click the shift key) so movement is very slow and steady continous walk.

It works fairly decently in Urban areas (and since A2 doesn't really allow for inside CQC, it is the best option I have found). Now, I still get very frusrated with the lack of response time of friendly AI with enemies that are closer than 50 yards.

A fireteam-sized group should be able to do well with any formation, just spreading themselves out on either side of your average building. I went up against dozens of Fallujah insurgents with four Special Forces operatives and was impressed at how long we all stayed alive.

So avoiding big squads is the key if you want cohesiveness.

Stagered column formation and Delta formation work best for me. Apply advance and flank left/right to one team for better separation. Separation is still important otherwise a single grenade can take out the whole squad.

Edited by Beagle

I tend to use Diamond and Column (Compact). It keeps people the closest. If I have a lot of men though I tend to have it so that one team stays back and I bring 4-6 guys with me or else it gets too hard to manage on the fly.

In the sake of realism, a compact Colum is used only in dense forrest or other restraining areas when a squad is on the move. Whenever contact is exspected and space is given the stagered Colum is prefered as it gives better fire dispersion. Column is a pure transit formation and in no way a combat formation. When you approach an enemy in column he will simply kill anyone in a row. You will always try to have all firepower to the frotn and maybe flanks...so Wedge is thwe best alround formation...in city streets Stagered Column is, with you positiones in a way that lets the squad move alongside the walls, not in the middle of the street. The best way to win CQC is to be superior in numbers and a high unit dispersion over the area giving best cover.

Edited by Beagle

I tend to use Diamond and Column (Compact). It keeps people the closest. If I have a lot of men though I tend to have it so that one team stays back and I bring 4-6 guys with me or else it gets too hard to manage on the fly.

I know I've seen Diamond somewhere, but I don't recall seeing it under the general formations list under [8]. Am I mistaken?

I know I've seen Diamond somewhere, but I don't recall seeing it under the general formations list under [8]. Am I mistaken?

it's under 8-9 called Delta. let 4th guy stay back 1-3 and you have diamond.

With the movement [1] menu you can customize any formation with advance, stay back, flank to left, flank to right.

The units will stay and move in in that given position.

Small fireteams (4-6 people) and staggered column is the way to go (since there's no better, double column, formation). When moving on the road inside the city half of your team will move on the left and another half on the right so you'll have both sides of the street covered rather well.

Particularly in urban situations its important to control open areas. Do not neglect to put machinegunners or other appropriately armed soldiers in positions which dominate the zone you are operating in.

As noted by other posters. The default wedge formation in danger or stealthmode works passably. Whenever speed and flexibility is of the essence smaller teams are always preferable. (2-3 AI)

Know that setting your squad to 8-8-Compact or 8-9-Delta means they will avoid using bounding overwatch in effort to follow you. Use this to your advantage.

-k

Know that setting your squad to 8-8-Compact or 8-9-Delta means they will avoid using bounding overwatch in effort to follow you. Use this to your advantage.

-k

Nice I didn't know that! I'll have to keep that in mid next time I'm on the move. :yay: