celery

COOP 10 Chernarus Apocalypse, part one

Many thanks for the update, sounds great. Maybe we are finally able to finish the mission with four people. :)

Your mission was the best reason to convince my friends to buy Arma 2 to extend their OA. :yay:

Chernarus Apocalypse, part one for Arma 2 Free released!

v1.2 Free

• Removed or changed all OA-dependent units, objects, weapons, features and scripts

---------- Post added at 18:30 ---------- Previous post was at 16:52 ----------

Broken link fixed, sorry for the inconvenience.

So this will work if you only have Arma2 Free (the free version of ArmA2) ?

Can you play Coop between ArmA2 Free and a normal Arma2 + OA installation ?

So this will work if you only have Arma2 Free (the free version of ArmA2) ?

Can you play Coop between ArmA2 Free and a normal Arma2 + OA installation ?

Should be able to but only if you run Arma 2 with the arma2.exe, not the arma2oa.exe, and thus obviously not have access to any OA features.

So we have played the map and nearly finished it. It seems to be much more balanced in 1.2 and was really fun. Less frustrating. :D

Anyways I think that the zombies actually climbed up the radio tower which they now don't do anymore. This has nothing to do with 1.2 I think, because it was in 1.1a too but they used to climb up the radio tower.

Maybe it is a problem with the Betas but it happened in 1.59 Vanilla the last time too.

(as you can see at the end)

Has something changed? Because they are now standing in front of the radio tower like statues and can be shoot.

They are still climbing up the ladder at the airport so it is not a general issue.

There's nothing in the scripting that would prevent them from climbing.

Maybe try test if AI could normally climb it in a "clean" mission to get an idea where the problem might be.

So we have successfully finished the mission yesterday but didn't get the photos after losing one of our mates at the armor supply at the beginning of the city.

It might have something to do that we are playing Vanilla now because of the jumping units but now the Zombies often just stop and lay down.

The laying down is sometimes actually cool because you can't see them or think they are dead but at the same time it removes the pressure. I was guarding both mates while they had to leave the computer.

Of course a little horde of zombies were approaching and I would have been f. if some of them wouldn't just have stopped and laid down for some time.

Through this behavior I was able to finish them without getting hurt.

I think I haven't seen this in 1.1a but like I mentioned we used to play with the Beta back then.

Can anybody confirm this?

Laying down Zombies are ok, but if they are attacking they shouldn't stop for nothing.

A random lay down while getting shot would be great though since it might surprise people when they try to loot them. :D

Thanks for the new version, I am going to check it soon. I hope that the Six Updater has the new Beta then because the provided one doesn't have the MP fixes yet.

Edited by Black Russian

The server needs to run 1.59 beta in order for the mission to behave properly. The reason is the use of the new disableAI "FSM" command that enables civilian units to be used as zombies.

Yes, you are right. After a short check with the current Beta the Zombies don't stop anymore and they even climb up the ladder.

It took quite some time for them and they stand around at first but eventually some climbed up.

Both versions updated!

Changelog:

v1.3 Free

• Fixed erroneous character description
  • Fixed script error in init.sqf
  • Removed magazine dropping due to network issues

v1.3

• Fixed wrong crate loadouts
  • Fixed accuracy script
  • Added hint for the doctor and reporter

OFFICIAL STRATEGY GUIDE

Characters:

• The Doctor is the lifeline of any party with his 8 bandages. He's the best solo class if the player can reliably hit zombies in the upper chest region.
  • The Reporter (Pilot in Free) can lead the party to a geocache that contains magazines and fairly good weapons, giving an excellent start to the mission. He's also a natural choice for leaders because of his omniscient GPS.
  • The Writer has the most ammunition at start, making him great for those of us who have trouble keeping their cool around zombies.
  • The Mercenary is a more functional version of the Writer with his flashlight but less ammo. He can take and use M9 magazines provided the Writer isn't in the party.
  • The Colonel (General in Free) starts with the worst gun in the game but his satchel charge is a huge benefit near the end if he can herd a lot of zombies near it.
  • The Marine is a one-shot killer suited for players who can use the shotgun in a precise and conserving manner. Using more than one shell per zombie can be his downfall due to limited ammo at start.
  • The rest of the characters are extra slots and shouldn't be picked unless the above slots are taken. From what I've seen, people who tend to act only for their own benefit usually choose the Russian pilot even over the main characters, thinking that the goggles will help them immensely, as opposed to the cop who can shoot flares to everyone's benefit.

General tips:

• Zombies are vulnerable to headshots. The vulnerability extends to the neck and upper chest area, at least with more powerful weapons.
  • Practice fire discipline by using a single shooter per zombie to avoid wasting ammunition. The rest should open fire only if the designated shooter fails to kill the target at a safe distance.
  • Move fast but without leaving anyone behind. Advancing at a walking pace is a waste of time and ultimately exposes you to more zombies.
  • When you're on the move, stop for every zombie that attacks you. If you keep running, you'll soon end up with a self-made horde on your heels.
  • Heal only when you have two strikes unless you have extra bandages and you're clearly heading into harm's way.
  • Closing doors behind you won't help you: it will only make it difficult for you to escape.
  • The flashlight is not a liability. The zombies are likely to see you regardless, or they already know about you after hearing your shots and are just waiting for you to step into their aggro range.
  • If you have space, take with you magazines for weapons belonging to an unused slot or extra ones that your party hasn't encountered yet. JIP players will be much better off and you will have extra ammunition for weapons you will find later on.
  • You can kite pursuing zombies by running backwards and bringing up the sights on the move for a very short duration to fire potshots. Requires good timing but is very useful.
  • Zombies sometimes drop bandages or magazines. In such cases, there will be red or yellow sparkles issuing from their bodies, respectively.
  • Vehicles generate noise that attracts zombies from double their normal aggro range.
  • Being unarmed reduces a zombie's aggro range to you by 80%, enabling you to go past them just by leaving a 30 meter gap in between.
  • If you die, you can go back to slot selection and choose another character provided you're not the host of a listen server and there are unused characters.

Objective tips:

• The best tactical positions in the air control tower are the SE and NW corners of the balcony, the west balcony overlooking the stairs and the first landing of the stairs. Don't stack up anywhere, especially in the stairs which are very prone to being overrun. If it's too crowded for the guys in the tactical positions to operate, the rest should stay on the roof or west balcony.
  • Approach Krasnostav's center gradually. That way the flow of zombies from around the town is more manageable, and then you can rush to the store and take out incoming zombies in bottlenecks. Note that due to a model bug the front door has a glass force field even when open, so pistols and shotguns are useless if you want to shoot through.
  • Advance slowly to the former HQ: lots of zombies will be running your way. When you're there, take some time to kill any remaining zombies that you've aggroed and heal up before taking the photos.
  • Run at full speed all the way to the hill. Don't slow down for anything unless you know how to kite zombies or your buddy is in trouble.
  • If Krasnostav is just too hard for you, you can choose to go straight to Klen without the photos.
  • When you reach the top of the hill, one or two guys with an AR or MG should stand ground and kill off the first trail of zombies that's been following you to give others time to rearm.
  • Agree on lax sectors of fire for each member on the hill. The car is prone to attacks from the flanks or during reloading, and although the zombies generally come from the north, they can also surprise you from another direction if no-one's looking.

Edited by Celery

Thanks for that Guide Celery !

A quick question:

Would respawn for all playable units break something inside your Zombie scripts ?

Or generally, which of your scripts would be effected by a respawn ?

Dam there go the spoilers. Cool guide I know lots of people who jump on and don't have a clue what to do.

Thanks for that Guide Celery !

A quick question:

Would respawn for all playable units break something inside your Zombie scripts ?

Or generally, which of your scripts would be effected by a respawn ?

Keeping track of who's dead and executing the spectator script are integral parts of the mission, mostly in the triggers and init.sqf. I'm not saying it's impossible because I've seen a version with a somewhat functional respawn, but it does destroy the general idea of the mission.

Woo hoo

Gona get this bad boy uploaded onto our server now its F2P compat

Thank You very much....

Great mission, and script pack Celery. Its a real help when it comes to zombie missions.

Funniest video of the mission I've seen. :p

U9YDKEXWLrs

(watch in HD and big screen)

They also have some other funny vids, not all of them have subtitles though.

So I have an issue with the house where the photos are stored.

We tried this some time ago with an old Beta and the Zombies where normally going through the house.

Some weeks ago and now the Zombies are every time running through the floor so you can only see their head and shoulders.

I think this might be a regression but it might also be just a coincidence that it worked this one time and is just a scripting issue.

Can anybody confirm this? Otherwise we have to create a bug report since this might be an interpolation issue.

Edited by Black Russian

It's an engine bug since before any interpolations, nothing I can do about except forget about the whole house, but there aren't other viable ones nearby.

How do you rejoin a game in this? We tried disconnect and totally leave the game, but have troubles rejoining.

Two questions:

1) What is the proper way to rejoin?

2) If I host, I cannot rejoin correct?