Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

Six Updater: Install/Update mods, missions. Delta patching. Server browser, and more!

1) How does one do this?
SU supports including and excluding files in modfolders, so if a user would want to exclude say x and y.pbo, he would enter those in the updater, and the files would be left untouched.

In the Mod datagrid, there are Excl and Incl fields, split the entries with ;

e.g for jayarma2lib, expansion/beta, Excl field: dsound.dll

or e.g you only want the bikeys: Incl field: *.bikey

2) Is there a way to see the list of files that are included inside a mod (ala YOMA addonsync used to allow you to see the whole list). I know right click on an official mod and "get info about mod" will display a webpage with the list but its not the easiest list to read.
Open the modfolder is one way, but I suppose I could add some better view. Ticketed at http://dev-heaven.net/issues/23588
3) Lets say you download @someisland that is on SU official network. Then u join a server's custom repo that also has @someisland in there as well. So will u be having 2 copies of the @someisland pbo on your harddrive? Can i just have the official SU version of the island and ignore the custom repo one?

Similar to http://dev-heaven.net/issues/17635.

If the island is of the same version, then keeping only 1 version is a good idea,

if the versions aren't the same then you should either keep 2 versions, or adjust the server mods path to point to the normal mod path (usually game folder), so that you will automatically migrate between the official network version when you join such server, or to the specific custom repos version if you join a server with custom repos.

4) How do we use the "server monitor" ? I can't figure out how to show the list of players on the server.
Select a preset with the server you want to monitor, or select the server up top at "Overrides".

The server monitor should update with the server's info and keep updating it every 8 or so seconds.

If that's not the case, please create a ticket with details and log files: http://www.six-updater.net/p/support.html

Thanks and sorry for so many questions.
NP :-)

In the Mod datagrid, there are Excl and Incl fields, split the entries with ;

e.g for jayarma2lib, expansion/beta, Excl field: dsound.dll

or e.g you only want the bikeys: Incl field: *.bikey

First example is when u want to exclude overriding the dsound.dll in expansion/beta, u put filename in Excl field, and vice versa. Got it.

Open the modfolder is one way, but I suppose I could add some better view. Ticketed at http://dev-heaven.net/issues/23588
Thanks. If mod is not on official network, eg. UOMods, "right click->get info" will not show a list.
If the island is of the same version, then keeping only 1 version is a good idea,

if the versions aren't the same then you should either keep 2 versions, or adjust the server mods path to point to the normal mod path (usually game folder), so that you will automatically migrate between the official network version when you join such server, or to the specific custom repos version if you join a server with custom repos.

If the island is of same version, does Six updater detect that there is a duplicate and just skip the download? Or it will download the island into the @customrepo folder, then you have to manually go in and delete the files?

Could you explain this: "adjust the server mods path to point to the normal mod path (usually game folder), so that you will automatically migrate between the official network version when you join such server, or to the specific custom repos version if you join a server with custom repos"

Select a preset with the server you want to monitor, or select the server up top at "Overrides".

The server monitor should update with the server's info and keep updating it every 8 or so seconds.

If that's not the case, please create a ticket with details and log files: http://www.six-updater.net/p/support.html

This works perfectly. Thanks.

Oh one more, what is the difference between "size" and "size WD" column in mods datagrid?

Should i be asking these questions elsewhere or this is the place to ask? :o

Thanks. If mod is not on official network, eg. UOMods, "right click->get info" will not show a list.
If the CustomRepos hoster has a homepage set inside the config.yml, the Get info action should direct you to their homepage unless the mod has an explicitly defined homepage url.

Also if the mod also exists on the official network, and it has a homepage url there, it will use that as fallback.

If the island is of same version, does Six updater detect that there is a duplicate and just skip the download? Or it will download the island into the @customrepo folder, then you have to manually go in and delete the files?
Manually currently. But at least if the CustomRepos mod folder doesn't exist yet, it will copy the existing official network mod content and use it as a basis to migrate to the custom repos version.
Could you explain this: "adjust the server mods path to point to the normal mod path (usually game folder), so that you will automatically migrate between the official network version when you join such server, or to the specific custom repos version if you join a server with custom repos"
If you set the server mod path in options, or on a server, to the same folder as where you install official network mods, then it will use existing folders instead of creating another copy.

SU will just migrate you between the official network version and the custom repos version (by only transfering delta differences), depending on which preset/server you're using.

Oh one more, what is the difference between "size" and "size WD" column in mods datagrid?
Haven't really humanized those names yet, WD is the internal name for Working Directory. Size is actually Size Pack.

Pack is the internal name for the .rsync/.pack contents.

So Size talks about the compressed content, and Size WD about the uncompressed content which is actually used by the game.

Should i be asking these questions elsewhere or this is the place to ask? :o
Here's fine, otherwise the discuss box at the bottom of http://www.six-updater.net/p/support.html

I'll try to improve documentation and FAQ as questions and answers come in :)

Bugs, feature requests and feedback on the issue tracker, of course ;)

---------- Post added at 21:49 ---------- Previous post was at 21:32 ----------

I'm just realizing, you might have meant what happens if you have @someisland\addons\someisland.pbo, and you get the same island from a custom repos in @some_addon_pack\addons\someisland.pbo.

In this case you will have double someisland.pbo

SU does warn about duplicate pbo's, but performs no actions.

I would argue that the someisland.pbo on the custom repos should be hosted in the same mod folder structure as it was released or as it was commonly used, so instead of adding it to @some_addon_pack it should be in @someisland.

There are some tickets open ref file caches and cancelling out duplicates, http://dev-heaven.net/issues/17634 for instance, and http://dev-heaven.net/issues/19447.

Edited by Sickboy

Thanks for the help so far.

If you set the server mod path in options, or on a server, to the same folder as where you install official network mods, then it will use existing folders instead of creating another copy.

SU will just migrate you between the official network version and the custom repos version (by only transfering delta differences), depending on which preset/server you're using.

Whats the difference between setting servermods path in options vs setting it per server? I guess how to set it per server is in server browser tab, find the server, scroll right and 'server mods path' column right?

What do u mean by migrate betw the official network version and custom repo version?

Eg. I do a update/install depending on which preset i use and it will update my @someisland to the version used in the preset?For example, official SU version of @someisland is 1.5. custom repo uses 1.4. So when i install/update using customrepo preset, it will downgrade my @someisland to 1.4 using delta patching. Then if i connect to another server later, i will have to patch it back to 1.5 again, but all the time having only 1 copy of @someisland?

---------- Post added at 21:49 ---------- Previous post was at 21:32 ----------

I'm just realizing, you might have meant what happens if you have @someisland\addons\someisland.pbo, and you get the same island from a custom repos in @some_addon_pack\addons\someisland.pbo.

In this case you will have double someisland.pbo

SU does warn about duplicate pbo's, but performs no actions.

I would argue that the someisland.pbo on the custom repos should be hosted in the same mod folder structure as it was released or as it was commonly used, so instead of adding it to @some_addon_pack it should be in @someisland.

There are some tickets open ref file caches and cancelling out duplicates, http://dev-heaven.net/issues/17634 for instance, and http://dev-heaven.net/issues/19447.

Yes that's what i mean. I would rather have the official @someisland folder rather than having the someisland.pbo buried inside the @some_addon_pack\addons\someisland.pbo. So i can still use @someisland as a standalone addon, if you understand what i mean.

In that case since there is a prompt of duplicate pbo, user can go and decide to delete it in @some_addon_pack if wanted.

UO has an alternative configuration where server custom repos mods are downloaded to the normal mod installation folder.

Try another one that leaves server mods path behaviour untouched: http://www.six-updater.net/p/communities.html (though many of them run mostly mods from the official network anyway..)

And you will find that, by default, all server custom repos mods are installed to a subfolder called "ServerMods" instead of into the normal mod instalaltion folder.

I was talking about duplicate modfolders like @Podagorsk and ServerMods\@Podagorsk.

You were referring at podagorsk.pbo being inside 2 different modfolders.

There's indeed the duplicate addon warning, and there's more stuff on the roadmap.

Also as pointed out, the duplicate addons is a problem caused by the fact that UO for example put islands / other addons together inside one modfolder, instead of of as how they are official released or available on the official six updater network; in seperate modfolders.

You can ask them to split it up properly, and the problem is gone :)

With SU it matters little if you manage 5 or 50 modfolders.

---------- Post added at 18:32 ---------- Previous post was at 18:31 ----------

Hopefully releasing RC2 in a bit though I haven't been able to move that much work due to job commitments and some CBA and ACE script optimizations and fixes :)

Edited by Sickboy

Ive been fiddling around with SU for a few days now. (thanks sickboy for telling me about it).. Its great easy stuff.

It attemtps to launch the game and loads about 90 percent of the way before the game actually comes up. Than just stops and a message comes up and says "arma2 has stopped working". Last night i did not have this problem.

Also it believes my OA is standalone and it is not. But i cant add a second path to arma2 cause there is only one "path" spot. All the ace stuff is installed accept CBA_A2.

Thats my problem, so i dont know what the heck i did. Does any one have an idea?

Any help is appreciated

Hi,

We're planning to switch our yoma addonsync repositories to sixupdater. I'm just wondering who is in charge of keeping the global repositories up to date? The reason why I'm asking is because we (at tangodown.nl) want to use the @DutchArmy mod which is available in the repository, but back in the days when these units were first released, JerryHopper received a new version of the ddam_cx.pbo file from the ddam team.

The new version allows us to use the features from OA (lasers, etc and I think also contains some bugfixes). Aeneas disappeared before OA was released and was never able to add this changed pbo file into the DutchArmy package.

It might be nice if this file could be placed in the global repository, because we want to host as little as possible ourselves because of our limited bandwidth on the server.

How do we go about on finding a solution for this? Any help is appreciated

Hi,

We're planning to switch our yoma addonsync repositories to sixupdater. I'm just wondering who is in charge of keeping the global repositories up to date? The reason why I'm asking is because we (at tangodown.nl) want to use the @DutchArmy mod which is available in the repository, but back in the days when these units were first released, JerryHopper received a new version of the ddam_cx.pbo file from the ddam team.

The new version allows us to use the features from OA (lasers, etc and I think also contains some bugfixes). Aeneas disappeared before OA was released and was never able to add this changed pbo file into the DutchArmy package.

It might be nice if this file could be placed in the global repository, because we want to host as little as possible ourselves because of our limited bandwidth on the server.

How do we go about on finding a solution for this? Any help is appreciated

It's me, I'm in charge! :cool: :yay:

:)

Well for starters I could look at integrating the pbo, or adding it as a seperate modfolder.

You could also decide to just host @DutchArmy, or even just that single changed addon on your own custom repo.

You said you didn't wanna host much due to bandwidth limitations, yet for a single file, I suppose that wouldn't be too problematic?

Yeah I suppose we can host the @DutchArmy addon ourselves and replace the pbo file, but I kinda feel it defeats the purpose of having this great system of global repositories with multiple mirrors :)

If I host this single pbo file, can I just place it inside our local @DutchArmy folder as well? When sixupdater downloads the remaining files from the global repository, will it not overwrite this pbo file in the process?

Yeah I suppose we can host the @DutchArmy addon ourselves and replace the pbo file, but I kinda feel it defeats the purpose of having this great system of global repositories with multiple mirrors :)

If I host this single pbo file, can I just place it inside our local @DutchArmy folder as well? When sixupdater downloads the remaining files from the global repository, will it not overwrite this pbo file in the process?

:) I do agree, easy access to a network with plenty of mods is great :)

Re the single pbo file, I would take @DutchArmy from the official network, and then host @DutchArmy_OA (or so), on your custom repos, with a dependency set to @DutchArmy.

This way, @DutchArmy will be taken from the official network, and load before @DutchArmy_OA that is taken from your custom repos, thus the updated pbo will override the official version.

You can freely mix official network mods and custom repos mods.

Still perhaps I could host the @DutchArmy_OA on the official network, incl a custom bikey+bisign if they don't have an official one.

UO has an alternative configuration where server custom repos mods are downloaded to the normal mod installation folder.

Try another one that leaves server mods path behaviour untouched: http://www.six-updater.net/p/communities.html (though many of them run mostly mods from the official network anyway..)

And you will find that, by default, all server custom repos mods are installed to a subfolder called "ServerMods" instead of into the normal mod instalaltion folder.

I was talking about duplicate modfolders like @Podagorsk and ServerMods\@Podagorsk.

You were referring at podagorsk.pbo being inside 2 different modfolders.

There's indeed the duplicate addon warning, and there's more stuff on the roadmap.

Also as pointed out, the duplicate addons is a problem caused by the fact that UO for example put islands / other addons together inside one modfolder, instead of of as how they are official released or available on the official six updater network; in seperate modfolders.

You can ask them to split it up properly, and the problem is gone :)

With SU it matters little if you manage 5 or 50 modfolders.

---------- Post added at 18:32 ---------- Previous post was at 18:31 ----------

Hopefully releasing RC2 in a bit though I haven't been able to move that much work due to job commitments and some CBA and ACE script optimizations and fixes :)

I also feel it is best that custom repos do not duplicate/dump all the needed mods into one big modfolder, and use the official repos if possible.

The list of mod files has now been aligned into 2 columns, making it much more readable, thanks!

UOMods-NA.png

Sorry one more problem. Why is the UOMods folder icon black, and not compatible with selected game edition? Is it due to my expansion/beta not being up to date? Thanks.

Hey, Ive been trying to "clone server with mod list" And when i do this all the ace mods, jayarma2lib, And everything else loads but says "This mod is not compatible with the selected game edition" on the following mods..@mma(L),@islands(L),mma_xeh (L), units_ace2(L)

I cant figure out why its saying that when it is infact the correct game edition that i have selected. Ive switched to every server profile and tried and still nothing worked..

[25THID] training server

No such server found and cannot reproduce it with other servers.

Please create a ticket with details and log files as described at http://www.six-updater.net/p/support.html cheers

---------- Post added at 11:07 ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 ----------

In any case; Make sure the modfolders actually exist. @MMA isn't available on the official network currently, so if you don't have the modfolder it will turn black instead of white, and shows reason "Is not compatible".

I'll at least clean up that status so it's more clear.

found an error it might help others to play.

I played i44 mod and need cba to play our server cba was updated and I ahve to download and setup cba folder again.

When I tried to play new ace mod it told me that it need to be updated and after updates I cant play it anyway.It takes me about 5 minutes to find that six updater declined update cba I create manually and I have to rename my old CBA to CBA_I44 mod and change short cuts and run sixupdater again and got cba which worked with ace mod.

I'm computer engineer and fixed that bug - but I'm sure such bug decrease amount of players who play ace and other mods.

That's no bug. Modfolders are untouched unless you convert them to SU, or like you did, move to another folder name.

Mod status, Updater status Mod entry, and log output tells about the status and what to do.

You can also enable "AutoConvert" in the options and you will never have to worry about it again.

his is what six updater tells me when I start it

ERROR: None detected. Please correct the path to the game - C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\Expansion\arma2oa.exe

also.....

You seem to be missing official game files, please restore or fix game edition configuration/detection: common/a10.pbo, common/ah64.pbo, common/air.pbo, common/air_d_baf.pbo, common/air_pmc.pbo, common/air2.pbo, common/air3.pbo, common/animals.pbo, common/animals2.pbo, common/anims.pbo, common/buildings.pbo, common/buildings2.pbo, common/buildings2_ind_cementworks.pbo, common/ca.pbo, common/ca_pmc.pbo, common/characters.pbo, common/characters_d_baf.pbo, common/characters_pmc.pbo, common/characters_w_baf.pbo, common/characters2.pbo, common/data_baf.pbo, common/dubbing.pbo, common/dubbing_baf.pbo, common/dubbing_pmc.pbo, common/dubbingradio_pmc.pbo, common/editor.pbo, common/language_baf.pbo, common/language_pmc.pbo, common/languagemissions_baf.pbo, common/languagemissions_pmc.pbo, common/misc.pbo, common/misc2.pbo, common/misc3.pbo, common/missions.pbo, common/missions_baf.pbo, common/missions_pmc.pbo, common/missions_pmc_data.pbo, common/missions2_pmc.pbo, common/modules.pbo, common/modules_pmc.pbo, common/music_pmc.pbo, common/plants_pmc.pbo, common/provinggrounds_pmc.pbo, common/roads_pmc.pbo, common/roads2.pbo, common/shapur_baf.pbo, common/sounds.pbo, common/sounds_baf.pbo, common/sounds_pmc.pbo, common/structures.pbo, common/structures_pmc.pbo, common/tracked.pbo, common/tracked_d_baf.pbo, common/tracked_w_baf.pbo, common/tracked2.pbo, common/uifonts.pbo, common/video_pmc.pbo, common/video2_pmc.pbo, common/water2.pbo, common/weapons.pbo, common/weapons_baf.pbo, common/weapons_pmc.pbo, common/weapons2.pbo, common/wheeled.pbo, common/wheeled_d_baf.pbo, common/wheeled_pmc.pbo, common/wheeled_w_baf.pbo, common/wheeled2.pbo, common/wheeled3.pbo, expansion/addons/air_e.pbo, expansion/addons/animals_e.pbo, expansion/addons/anims_e.pbo, expansion/addons/ca_e.pbo, expansion/addons/characters_e.pbo, expansion/addons/desert_e.pbo, expansion/addons/dubbing_e.pbo, expansion/addons/dubbingradio_e.pbo, expansion/addons/l39.pbo, expansion/addons/language.pbo, expansion/addons/language_e.pbo, expansion/addons/languagemissions.pbo, expansion/addons/languagemissions_e.pbo, expansion/addons/misc_e.pbo, expansion/addons/missions_e.pbo, expansion/addons/modules_e.pbo, expansion/addons/mp_armory.pbo, expansion/addons/music_e.pbo, expansion/addons/plants_e.pbo, expansion/addons/roads_e.pbo, expansion/addons/rocks_e.pbo, expansion/addons/signs_e.pbo, expansion/addons/soundmissions_e.pbo, expansion/addons/sounds_e.pbo, expansion/addons/structures_e.pbo, expansion/addons/takistan.pbo, expansion/addons/takistan_data.pbo, expansion/addons/takistan_data_layers.pbo, expansion/addons/tracked_e.pbo, expansion/addons/ui.pbo, expansion/addons/warfare2.pbo, expansion/addons/warfare2_e.pbo, expansion/addons/weapons_e.pbo, expansion/addons/wheeled_e.pbo, expansion/addons/zargabad.pbo

16:51:29: You seem to be running an old game version (0.0.0 vs 1.59.0.79384), please get gameupdate at: http://www.arma2.com/index.php?optio...lder&Itemid=20

16:51:29: There's a beta available with higher version number (0.0.0 vs 1.59.0.83657), you can grab it at: http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php

help?