Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

Six Updater: Install/Update mods, missions. Delta patching. Server browser, and more!

The Pack location should only contains the packed files, while the modfolders in your game/mod installation location should contain the unpacked files.

Need details, like what is your pack folder, what is your game / mod folder setting, are there any errors?

Your logs and perhaps screenshots would help too. http://www.six-updater.net/p/support.html

---------- Post added at 11:02 ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 ----------

Just tested;

Game/Mod path empty - auto detected from registry.

Pack path set to: C:\data2\arma2pack

I installed ACEX_SM. @ACEX_SM\.pack appears in C:\data2\arma2pack,

@ACEX_SM appears in my game folder, with .rsync subfolder with repo configuration files, and the modfiles appear just as expected as well.

20:40:11: WARNING: Failed to download the repository! This could be due to a server / connection problem. Please try again later

Lots of these, aside from that I dunno what you are really looking for.

It's described at http://www.six-updater.net/p/support.html

Need your log files (especially six-updater-GUI.log http://six.dev-heaven.net/wagn/Six_Updater+Overview#Configuration%20database%20/%20log%20files

best in a ticket http://dev-heaven.net/projects/six-arma-updater/issues/new

---------- Post added at 09:35 ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 ----------

The current version seems pretty stable and the upgrade procedures have improved miles.

The milestone has over 130 tickets addressed! http://dev-heaven.net/projects/six-arma-updater/versions/973

2.5 will soon be released as Stable version.

After the next update, the upgrade procedure is even smoother when performing Minor Upgrades; no more clicking Next Next Next Finish etc :)

Hi Sickboy,

I have been trying to update my ticket on Dev Heaven (#22137) but it keeps timing out on me. Here's the message I was trying to add...

Hi Sorry mate - dev heaven crashed while I was submitting this and I was not sure it got logged.

Anyway, I have noticed that when six runs on my machine, it slowly eats more and more memory (according to task manager). Once it gets to around 1.5Gb it then crashes out - just happened again five minutes ago (logs attached). I get about 10-12 GUI error windows, and then the application is killed.

Not sure why this is happenning. I'm running WIN7 64bit. Applications of note that are loaded are Coldfusion 9, SQL Server 2008 R2, Squint (Arma Editor), Arma (running whatever the latest Beta is) and sometimes Steam.

If I launch Six and do nothing, it's memory usage stays at around 360Mb - it is as soon as I start adding/removing mods, altering profiles, or even just using it to launch Arma that it starts to consume memory faster than my kids can eat chocolate biscuits!

If there is anything else I can send you that can help to diagnose this then let me know.

Ps. I could not update this ticket viua the browser in Six Updater - the submit button did not do anything!

I have to go out for a while - I will try and add my logs to the ticket later on.

Regards

Cheers - having a bad day application wise!

:) The test build is up in the ticket, cheers!

Using the latest version of six updater with the united operations custom repo. the repo list says Im on 160 but in game it says 159. Is this working correctly?

Using the latest version of six updater with the united operations custom repo. the repo list says Im on 160 but in game it says 159. Is this working correctly?

Build 159 / 160 of what?

What does the repo owner say?

Please create a ticket with logfiles and details if it seems an SU problem: http://www.six-updater.net/p/support.html

(also for future issues).

This is because on our custom repo we do not follow the standard version numbers or schemes; there is no garuntee that the "version number" in our custom repo are actually the in-game version numbers or the ones on the official network.

This was CBA. Thanks Jaynus for the reply. Question why wouldnt you follow the numbering convention of the mod. I understand not keeping up with the latest mod rev but dont understand changing the numbering convention.

The reason for my concern is Im getting errors on some missions about version mismatches on a home server the I have that uses Six updater and the UO mod set. Both say they have the same version so Im not sure where to go now for trouble shooting this.

It's rather that CBA and ACE are basically the only mods that sync their build number with the mod repository on the official SU network.

Normally the SU mod repository version number has no relation to version/build of a mod.

I'm working on adding actual Mod version information to the Mods hosted on SU, as well as some more information, see the new columns available @

http://stats.six-updater.net/mods

http://stats.six-updater.net/mods/show/ff336c46-adee-11e0-878f-001517bd964c

Will come to the Six Updater client as well, in an upcoming version.

Edited by Sickboy

@ Sickboy

Could you have Briggsil make, a proper and extensive, video tutorial,

on all awesome features of this tool, in it's latest version, please. :notworthy:

great to hear sickboy...... thanks. I like the new update window..

Hello Sickboy,

An concept or post was made on my thread here, was wondering when you had the chance to review it and put in your own thoughts here:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=1982319#post1982319

refer to the previous post in the thread that starts this dicsussian about SU.

Hello Sickboy,

An concept or post was made on my thread here, was wondering when you had the chance to review it and put in your own thoughts here:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=1982319#post1982319

refer to the previous post in the thread that starts this dicsussian about SU.

Thanks, i'm very interested, the subject sort of came by in another thread that was closed. http://dev-heaven.net/issues/22223

Will respond in full coming days, but some quick notes;

Disabling/overriding addons can be done from within your addons, there shouldn't be too many reasons to really physically remove a pbo.

Often a system can be disabled by global variable, config override, or otherwise even pboprefix override.

SU also fully supports mod dependencies, compatibilities (wip), game editions, etc.

Changes made on the SU Portal are synced to the client every 20 mins etc, while changes on Custom Repositories are basically instant.

It's possible to lock mod versions by hosting the wanted mod version on a custom zSync/rSync repository (http://six.dev-heaven.net/wagn/Six_Updater+CustomRepos_Setup),

but it's generally recommended to keep up with the latest, to minimize different versions out there, and the need (when available) to migrate between mod versions when switching servers.

On a side note; when popularity increases, hopefully more generous server owners / hosters will be interested to join the SU Network and share the load :)

Gotto run, but will get back to you :)

---------- Post added at 01:58 ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 ----------

@ Sickboy

Could you have Briggsil make, a proper and extensive, video tutorial,

on all awesome features of this tool, in it's latest version, please. :notworthy:

If not, then hopefully another generous video master steps in :) Edited by Sickboy

No critical issues found so far in the v2.5 release.

Some minor issues found and already squashed for the upcoming version.

Currently slowly starting on v2.6, probably the first v2.6pre build will be available by next week.

Still looking for interested Hosters - to host a Six Updater official mirror.

The network is currently 14 mirrors strong, spread out over zSync and rSync, while some overlap.

Most mirrors are located in Europe, so especially looking for mirrors in the United States, Australia and Asia, but European mirrors certainly are still welcome too!

The more the merrier; generally higher speeds and reliability. And of course your host / server / community gets eternal fame - your hostname is visible during downloads etc.

zSync just requires a basic web-server, while rSync requires the rSync daemon and some more configuration.

We can help you setup over at http://six.dev-heaven.net/wagn/Six_Updater+GroupChat

---------- Post added at 15:13 ---------- Previous post was at 14:26 ----------

A lot of additional Mod information has been added to the SU portal:

http://stats.six-updater.net/mods

Fields like Full Name, Description, Author, Version, CPP Name etc.

The info will be further completed soon, and will also become available inside the SU software.

Edited by Sickboy

Hi Sickboy,

Congratulations for the new version of SU, as always you have made an outstanding job helping make easier playing a modded ArmA and keeping them updated.

I have a couple of suggestions for SU that I'd be interested to hear if they can be implemented in next versions:

1. Do you think SU could add campaign support? Since many modders are starting to make campaings with voice-overs and other disk-space consuming resources, a support for the update of those campaigns would be greatly appreciated. It's much easier to download the couple of files that are changed in a campaign package than the entire pack over again. Take for example "Soldier of Valor" that is v.1.7 each time the campaign is updated you have to download like 225 Mb. In addition there are other advantages that I explain below.
  2. Have you thought about adding some kind of MySQL support to SU? One thing I miss in the mods section is a bit of more information about what those mod changes and feels strange to have to rely on an external internet browser and click on the context menu option "more info" to go to the project page. Having SU its own internal browser they could display little pop-ups with a bit of info about the mod or a more extensive sorting system by the number of downloads or rating, etc. Or it could have many other potentials I can't even imagine but prove useful in the future; one example would be the automatic detection of campaigns or online servers compatible with certain mod you have selected or a combination of them you've installed in your computer. Today there are many open source applications that use MySQL or similar approaches to sort and organize their contents. Take for example XBMC a media center for Pcs which uses TheTVDabase series information in their web to update the contents that the XBMC client detects.

3. This is more a petition than a suggestion :) I read your answer to Sevenloh's question in the WarMod thread. Could you give the rest of forum users a little update in the future of how's going the support of WarMod in SU? I think that could be a major step in giving popularity to both SU and WarMod, specially when developers start to make campaigns and missions for it and more servers start to use SU & WM. That could give the popularity SU needs to have more mirrors for the hosting of mods and future ideas you may have for the SU project.

I'd just like to post that I used the newest version of 6Updater last night, and it seems streets ahead of how I remember it a long time ago. It's still not entirely intuitive, for example the whole preset setup, but I managed to get an ACE2 install, minus the few bits I didn't wish for, quite painlessly and entirely automated. This was for a new install of ArmA2 on a new gaming laptop, no pre-existing ACE2 install at all.

Very, very nice job. It just needs a cartoony front-end for us imbeciles and it'll be perfect :D

I'd just like to post that I used the newest version of 6Updater last night, and it seems streets ahead of how I remember it a long time ago. It's still not entirely intuitive, for example the whole preset setup, but I managed to get an ACE2 install, minus the few bits I didn't wish for, quite painlessly and entirely automated. This was for a new install of ArmA2 on a new gaming laptop, no pre-existing ACE2 install at all.

Very, very nice job. It just needs a cartoony front-end for us imbeciles and it'll be perfect :D

Thanks DM :) Big leaps forward eh :) 0.24 (web-based) -> 2.0..2.5

There's plenty of work left to do in different areas, UI isn't my strong-suite, and I generally also give least priority to it.

But getting there :) The presets make a lot of sense once you've got multiple configurations and servers you play regularly on :)

Wizard / Simplified UI is planned.

I welcome assistance with:

Edited by Sickboy

The presets make a lot of sense once you've got multiple configurations and servers you play regularly on

Indeed :) I only base my comment on a flash of anxiety I had when I removed some elements from the default displayed preset, and was asked if I really wanted to remove that element from this preset. I worried that the particular preset would now be gone, and I couldn't readily identify a more appropriate preset to use so I just went with it and apparently altered the preset.

I assume that I can always add in those elements again to the preset, but I couldn't be sure :D

Anyway, I used to do some UI design for Windows-based applications, but it requires a lot of knowledge about the app itself, obviously. My own inputs would only be relevent for getting new users (or users installing to new systems) through the basics. Basically a wizard, as you said.

Indeed :) I only base my comment on a flash of anxiety I had when I removed some elements from the default displayed preset, and was asked if I really wanted to remove that element from this preset. I worried that the particular preset would now be gone, and I couldn't readily identify a more appropriate preset to use so I just went with it and apparently altered the preset.

I assume that I can always add in those elements again to the preset, but I couldn't be sure :D

Hehe, the default presets will be synced again upon next "Sync with SU portal" so even though removing or adding stuff now, next time when synced it's reverted back to default.

Instead, you can clone an existing preset and modify that or create a new one.

I suppose I should remove the confirmation request - and only leave it in for actions like add mod to (or remove mod from) ALL presets.

Anyway, I used to do some UI design for Windows-based applications, but it requires a lot of knowledge about the app itself, obviously. My own inputs would only be relevent for getting new users (or users installing to new systems) through the basics. Basically a wizard, as you said.
Cheers. Well if you're interested to assist, drop me a message, otherwise let's see what I cook up :D

Brand New Six Updater v2.5
by Steffen/ArmaStation available now!

Thanks, as it's really helpful and informative.

All my questions and concerns are answered now.

It' seems, I was tinkering in wrong sections of SU, that's why.... :headscratch:

...and now, all became clear :D

Hi Sickboy,

Congratulations for the new version of SU, as always you have made an outstanding job helping make easier playing a modded ArmA and keeping them updated.

I have a couple of suggestions for SU that I'd be interested to hear if they can be implemented in next versions (I'm not sure if this is the thread to post suggestions since I've found no related thread. If suggestions for SU go in another thread receive my apologies):

1. Do you think SU could add campaign support? Since many modders are starting to make campaings with voice-overs and other disk-space consuming resources, a support for the update of those campaigns would be greatly appreciated. It's much easier to download the couple of files that are changed in a campaign package than the entire pack over again. Take for example "Soldier of Valor" that is v.1.7 each time the campaign is updated you have to download like 225 Mb. In addition there are other advantages that I explain below.
  2. Have you thought about adding some kind of MySQL support to SU? One thing I miss in the mods section is a bit of more information about what those mod changes and feels strange to have to rely on an external internet browser and click on the context menu option "more info" to go to the project page. Having SU its own internal browser they could display little pop-ups with a bit of info about the mod or a more extensive sorting system by the number of downloads or rating, etc. Or it could have many other potentials I can't even imagine but prove useful in the future; one example would be the automatic detection of campaigns or online servers compatible with certain mod you have selected or a combination of them you've installed in your computer. Today there are many open source applications that use MySQL or similar approaches to sort and organize their contents. Take for example XBMC a media center for Pcs which uses TheTVDabase series information in their web to update the contents that the XBMC client detects.

3. This is more a petition than a suggestion :) I read your answer to Sevenloh's question in the WarMod thread. Could you give the rest of forum users a little update in the future of how's going the support of WarMod in SU? I think that could be a major step in giving popularity to both SU and WarMod, specially when developers start to make campaigns and missions for it (that is that are tested with the AI enhancements and don't give errors or weird behaviour) and more servers start to use SU & WM. That could give the popularity SU needs to have more mirrors for the hosting of mods and future ideas you may have for the SU project.