Sign in to follow this  
Wobble

How do you say it?

I notice most americans say it Ja-gwar

and brits say it Jag-yew-a

of coruse the british way sounds fruity to me but thats just because im american..

is there a *right* way to say it.. or is it a regional/country thing?

shit, thought I was in Off Topic, Mods please move this thread to ot and delete this reply wow.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wobble @ May 19 2002,06:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">shit, thought I was in Off Topic,  Mods please move this thread to ot and delete this reply wow.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Aren't you going to "apologize"? biggrin.gif

Them are fighin' words

Oh yeah, us Canadians say it like you Americans, not the weird ass British way.

COLINMAN

We Aussies say it the "weird-ass" British way....

No show some respect to the country that invented your language, you damn ingrate colonials!  tounge.gif

Hey, at least were not the prison colony tounge.gif We're just the ones that were too weak to actually do anything to seperate, I think we were just forgotten confused.gif

COLINMAN

er im english and i say it

jag-u-ar

very posh english people probably say

jag-war

Well naturally, like anything, the right way is my way, and being aussie I say it more like the brits.

But really aussies talk like aussies, brits talk like brits, and yanks can't spell properly so maybe that's why they say everything wrong.

In Hebrew, there is no soft "g" or "j" sound inherrent in the language - only a hard "g" sound, as in Gama, or Gimel, the 3rd letter of the alphabet.

So Jaguar is pronounced yah-gyu-wahr. If I hear my oldest boy say that, I correct him and tell him it's jag-wahr, plain and simple.

Similarly, there is no "w" sound in Hebrew. So, for example, Washington is pronounced Vashington (oy!wink.gif and - back to cars - B.M.W. is pronounced B.M.Veh. Ugh! tounge.gif

In (most,if not all) Arabic dialects, the letter "p" is pronounced as a "b", so that some of you may wish you owned a Borsche, though you may settle for your barent's used Bontiac.

But isn't the proper pronunciation for Jaguar "Lem-awn"?

COLINMAN

jag u r is the way we say it

or

that big petrol guzzling tank that only pimps drive biggrin.gif

moved to offtopic

hmm french did have a letter "J" and "G" which can have different pronunciation:

"Ge" and "J" are the same pronounciation (might be in english near "g'uh" if u like), but "Ga" and "ja" arent the same (in english it will be in phonetic near that "Gua" and "g'ah")

Jaguar it's written like this in french tongue and will in pronounciate like this for an english ppl:

"g'ah-gu-âr-uh" (i hope the " 'uh" it's near the "doh" term Homer use alot smile.gif )

your main problem come from the anglo saxon speech that use pitched song and not neutral song for phonetic, we didnt use accentuate for words then we can both use high pitch and bass pronunciation for various word, try figure out how to pronounce theese.

-Province (english pronounce it generally with error like "Provins")

-Lisieux (a clue we never pronounce the "x" at the end)

-Gloire (the "e" pronounce not like a "i" but like a "eu")

-Louvre (good luck english ppl always get error there)

I laugh alot when i heard the english in radio pronounce the OPF town's name... because all are french typics's name:

Montignac is a real name and too come from a belgian picture book *i guess someone of the BIS team enjoyed the "Spirou" picture books* because one of the guy is called Montignac, an issue from my dictionnary:

"Montignac:

one town head of county, belong to Dordogne "departement", ("arrondissement" of Sarlat-la-canéda), situated near the river "la vézÄre", 4202 inhabitant, point of interest the Lascaux grotto " (if u cant figure out where it is i will help u it's in the center southern-west part of france, near 300km(200miles) north east from Bordeaux), Lascaux grotto is well famed for the Paleolothic picture and Prehistoric site)

Well well maybe one day i will do a MP3 with all the OPF towns name to spell them into french.

another clue:

La riviÄre can be translated in "the river"...

Who said we dont have river in OPF, WE DID smile.gifbiggrin.gif

Well, as for the "correct" way of saying it, it must be the Brit way, since they invented english AND the Jaguar car.

In danish, the animal is also spelled jaguar, like in english, but pronounced ia-gu-ar, with a hard "g" and deep throat "a"

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (WKK Gimbal @ May 18 2002,14:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">with a hard "g" and deep throat "a"<span id='postcolor'>

lolol ur leaving yourself open to lots of abuse here biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hilandor @ May 19 2002,13:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (WKK Gimbal @ May 18 2002,14:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">with a hard "g" and deep throat "a"<span id='postcolor'>

lolol  ur leaving yourself open to lots of abuse here  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

LOLOL

How cum I can't write a single innocent line? biggrin.gif

Because you're surrounded by preverts? wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (WKK Gimbal @ May 19 2002,13:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">cum<span id='postcolor'>

lol

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (jawk @ May 19 2002,06:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">La rivière can be translated in "the river"...<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah that reminds me. Why are all the towns on Flashpoint islands named in French ? (or so they seem).

Aren't these islands supposed to be occupied by the Russians ? or the Czechs ?

Either way, maybe BIS thought Czech or Russian names, which would have ended up being in the likes of "řeka" for la riviere or "přístav" for le port would sound too foreign to most of their targeted audience.

It's cool though, the names of the towns are quite nice.