Sign in to follow this  
bangtail

Homefront - another 3 hour Campaign - AVOID

Waiting for CWR2 to do that again
Yea good luck waiting on that.. The world will end in 2012 and that mod will still have yet to produce the promised goods. Besides I prefer waiting for PRACS release..
- Play and finish Freedom Fighters one more time

Oh how i wish they would make a new version of that with decent graphics and a bigger operation area.

You and me both. Edited by Big Mac

I don't see how so many people can hate on Homefront for being decent, but praise Black Ops and Bad Company 2 for being rehashed garbage games.

I'm enjoying Homefront's singleplayer so far (really good atmosphere with the whole occupation, reminds me of Freedom Fighters).

I've also played Multiplayer and I really like it. The guns do a lot of damage, kind near to ArmA scale. I think it's getting a lot of negative feedback because people were expecting something else I guess? I try to play games without any expectations and I find myself enjoying more and more games these days.

But to be honest, it's way better than Black Ops and I personally enjoy it more than Bad Company 2 (Two games it's compared to most). The game is still new and there's plenty of time for the devs to fix it up

It just feels so half assed. The sound is a real problem for me (positional audio). What there is is ok but 3 hours for the SP is not acceptable IMHO. JFTR, I didnt like Black Ops either. The spawning is terrible, I have actually seen them spawning many, many times and the AI pathfinding is awful as well.

BC2 is in a completely different league IMHO. Just from the sound standpoint alone it is a far superior product.

The spawning enemies was kinda point at points but I don't think it deserves so much hate. The MP is actually cool. They do need to take away showing names of enemy players when you spot them but other than that its fun. Not perfect, needs polish, but far better than a lot of other games.

I do like BC2 a lot, don't like MW2 or BO, do like this game and will likely play it as I do many other games I like. Its even growing on me more, it might be a favorite soon.

The spawning enemies was kinda point at points but I don't think it deserves so much hate. The MP is actually cool. They do need to take away showing names of enemy players when you spot them but other than that its fun. Not perfect, needs polish, but far better than a lot of other games.

I do like BC2 a lot, don't like MW2 or BO, do like this game and will likely play it as I do many other games I like. Its even growing on me more, it might be a favorite soon.

My point exactly.

Why does every game that comes out have to be the next biggest thing? I think this company very well knew that it would not be the #1 game out there.

It's a very solid game multiplayer wise, just finished a 4 hour session of MP. I like how quickly people die lol

Yea good luck waiting on that.. The world will end in 2012 and that mod will still have yet to produce the promised goods. Besides I prefer waiting for PRACS release..

That's nice, attack two mods in the same day. A search for work you've created reveals nothing, so please point me to evidence that you can do better than them. Until such time keep such comments to yourself.

It didn't have to be the next big thing but my original point stands, it's far too short. I never play this type of game online because I can't deal with the cheating (BC2 is the only exception for the moment and that's because I play on a server that almost always has a mod on).

Sure, I agree with you, it's not the worst game ever made, but given the hype, it is wholly unimpressive. The voice acting is bad, the sound is bad, the story is idiotic etc.

My original post was warning people that this was another 3 hour SP experience and many people buy these games with no intention of touching the MP component.

It's an average game and that's fine, when it's $10.00 on Steam, it will be worth a look for those who aren't interested in the MP.

Edited by BangTail

many people buy these games with no intention of touching the MP component.

It's an average game and that's fine, when it's $10.00 on Steam, it will be worth a look for those who aren't interested in the MP.

I wish people realized this about ArmA as well...

You're points are well made, its pretty hit or miss. It just so happened to hit with me.

Yah and I can appreciate that mate, I loved the premise but the execution didn't do it for me.

Different strokes for different folks :D

(To be honest it's no big deal as I am addicted to Shogun at the moment. It's like crack).

That's nice, attack two mods in the same day. A search for work you've created reveals nothing, so please point me to evidence that you can do better than them. Until such time keep such comments to yourself.
No, it's called an opinion, not an attack and you don't have to be a addon maker to have one about a mod. If you bothered to read what I wrote you'd realize that you're taking what I said out of context on both accounts and I was using my opinions about ACRE (which if you bothered to read I said I used to think ACRE was a piece of shit, but now have changed my opinion.) to make an entirely different point which has nothing to do with this topic. Also how is what I said about CWR2 an attack? I've seen a lot worse directed at project reality than what I said about CWR2.

Last but not least it's not against any forum rules to share your opinion about a mod, but it is against the forum rules to flame bait someone which you just did. If all you're going to do is flame bait me and use your status as a mod to intimidate me then I suggest you keep your comments to yourself. So lets get back on topic...

Edited by Big Mac

I prefer an opinion from here on fps games than other boards and I understand the single campaign is short,but at least it's fun??

By fun I mean the atmoshpere was right,exciting fighting etc or it was a chore,like excessive scripting aka push a button something awesome happens?

I'm not comparing every game out there with A2 but if it brings enjoyable moments then it's fine.

No, it's called an opinion, not an attack and you don't have to be a addon maker to have one about a mod. If you bothered to read what I wrote you'd realize that you're taking what I said out of context on both accounts and I was using my opinions about ACRE (which if you bothered to read I said I used to think ACRE was a piece of shit, but now have changed my opinion.) to make an entirely different point which has nothing to do with this topic.

I did read your post, and I did see what you posted after your comment, but your comment was still you used to think ACRE was a piece of shit. Anyone should be aware of how such phrasing can be offensive, regardless of whether or not you follow it up with saying that's not how you feel now. Why choose the phrase "piece of shit" in the first place?

Also how is what I said about CWR2 an attack? I've seen a lot worse directed at project reality than what I said about CWR2.

Just because PR has seen worse in your opinion doesn't make it okay for you to do something marginally "lighter". It's an attack because you are unconstructively criticizing peoples' work that they do in their spare time for free and make no promises on meeting deadlines, therefore they are allowed to take however long they want. That usually results in the best mods too. You're not owed anything by them.

I don't understand why my fellow moderators and I keep having to explain this to certain members of the community these days.

Last but not least it's not against any forum rules to share your opinion about a mod, but it is against the forum rules to flame bait someone which you just did. If all you're going to do is flame bait me and use your status as a mod to intimidate me then I suggest you keep your comments to yourself. So lets get back on topic...

Man, everyone likes to think I'm using my status to intimidate people. You guys seem to know me better than I do.

My post was not a flame bait, my post was a moderator instruction. If you choose to take such a thing as a flame bait then so be it, I don't care so long as you follow it. My intention was not to incite an angered response from yourself, nor was I mocking, teasing nor belittling you, therefore it is not considered flame baiting by the forum rules. Again, if you choose to think that's what I was doing, that's your prerogative.

And if you wish to continue this discussion then send me a PM, as we do not have to clutter up this thread with this anymore.

Edited by Zipper5

Just because PR has seen worse in your opinion doesn't make it okay for you to do something marginally "lighter". It's an attack because you are unconstructively criticizing peoples' work that they do in their spare time for free and make no promises on meeting deadlines, therefore they are allowed to take however long they want. That usually results in the best mods too. You're not owed anything by them.

I don't understand why my fellow moderators and I keep having to explain this to certain members of the community these days.

Did I ever say they owed me anything? No I didn't. In fact I hardly said anything that could be considered anything other than sarcastic.
Man, everyone likes to think I'm using my status to intimidate people. You guys seem to know me better than I do.
I wouldn't know anything about that, but maybe you consider that maybe you are since you are the common denominator.
My post was not a flame bait, my post was a moderator instruction. If you choose to take such a thing as a flame bait then so be it, I don't care so long as you follow it. My intention was not to incite an angered response from yourself, nor was I mocking, teasing nor belittling you, therefore it is not considered flame baiting by the forum rules. Again, if you choose to think that's what I was doing, that's your prerogative.

Riiight I'm sure that everyone who has ever flame baited used that excuse before. Whether you meant to anger me or not it's still considered flame baiting because you went off topic accusing me of attacking two mods which I didn't and the only thing to come out of it was the start of a flame war which I'm trying to avoid but you're trying to inflame (pun intended) and if you can't see that then maybe you shouldn't be a moderator.
And if you wish to continue this discussion then send me a PM, as we do not have to clutter up this thread with this anymore.
The discussion is over. You're a mod who thinks he's above the rules. What more is there to say? I'm done unless you want to continue flame baiting me.

/\ This

@ Big Mac, now seriously cut that shit! This is really getting annoying.

@ Big Mac, now seriously cut that shit! This is really getting annoying.

I've done nothing wrong nor did I start this, but I'm choosing not to escalate it.

Edited by Big Mac

I don't care who is right or wrong, this thread is not the place for that discussion. Zipper asked you to take it to PM so take it to PM please.

Big Mac

I suggest you take a very, very deep breath. The crap you have done over at Armaholic where you told the Mods to f*ck off will not work here.

The majority of your recent posts all are trolling and flaming in the off-topic forum. If your constant trolling and attacking the Mods here doesn't stop here and now then we stop it.

And before you next time call a Mod 'piece of shit' or bitch because it takes too long to finish I suggest you quickly come up with your very own Mod to show us how good and fast you are. But I doubt that will happen because besides your trolling here you don't contribute anything at all.

Edited by W0lle

I haven't played the game (story seemed pretty uncreative), but I am quite shocked to see people complaining so much about the length. Sure, 3 hours is short, but IMO it's wrong to criticize the developers just because it's not very long. A lacking campaign length likely has more to do with resources (time, money, manpower) than design. Critcize them on their design decisions, not the limitations imposed upon them.

I feel that big-budget games like CoD are ruining the industry, but not just in the ways most people here already discuss. The problem I see is that other companies (publishers, big-name developers) see the (market) success of these games and misappropriately set them as a standard for their own. The same can be said for the people who buy & play these games; they get accustomed to big-budget titles and they raise their standards and won't even touch smaller (often more enjoyable) games. This is ultimately destroying creativity and originality (or at least suppressing it). Of course there are some big-name titles that are actually good, but IMO the extreme competitiveness and comparison needs to be toned down. Games should be judged by what they offer, not what others already do or do not. We're not talking about automobiles or something where it's understandable to decide on only one; I'd prefer to have lots of good games that are unique than just one that tries to do it all.

Back on-topic, I suppose you could argue that it was a mistake for the developers of Homefront not to concentrate their limited resources on the story and depth of their campaign, but I feel it's something that is still mostly beyond their control due to the current state of the industry.

Edited by Big Dawg KS

I can agree with most of what you said. The 'standard' that is set by games like CoD is the root of the problem.

Similarly, in MMOdom, we have the same problem. The days of big sandbox MMOs are over because of WoW. Every dev sees WoW's success and tries (and, more often than not, fails) to emulate it. If some enterprising group of people would buy the franchise rights to something like Bladerunner and develop it as a skill based (no levels) sandbox MMO, they'd make money. They might not get 12 million subs, but IMHO, they would turn a profit and if the game was done properly, their retention would be fairly good. Will anyone do that? Not at the moment as they are all trying to get a piece of WoW's market and forgetting that not everyone likes so called 'care bear' MMOs, but I digress.

Some of the best games are the overlooked ones, developed by smaller studios without the ridiculous (and undeserved) fanfare that inevitably accompanies games like CoD. I'd like to see more of those games that are developed by people who genuinely care about the end product.

Everyone has to make money, but you can still do that while maintaining a level of quality and the only place I really disagree with your post goes back to my initial reason for not liking Homefront. Even if the 3 hours was the best 3 hours ever (which it most certainly is not), I still wouldn't be happy.

When you add the length to the list of other problems, then it hurts the game's credibility. I tried the MP again today and I'll concede that it is actually kind of fun. I'm sure there will be some DLC soon and this is something else that infuriates me, Full price game with a 3 hour campaign and then we have to pay more for fluff that was completed at the same time as the game was released.

The whole business model for the PC gaming industry has become far too much about making money and far too little about pride in the product you sell (except for a few select developers).

When I can give BIS or ED money for games that will give me 100s of hours of play, I find it hard to justify giving THQ the same money for 3 hours of 'enjoyment'.

Anyway, enough :)

Edited by BangTail

I haven't played the game (story seemed pretty uncreative), but I am quite shocked to see people complaining so much about the length. Sure, 3 hours is short, but IMO it's wrong to criticize the developers just because it's not very long. A lacking campaign length likely has more to do with resources (time, money, manpower) than design. Critcize them on their design decisions, not the limitations imposed upon them.

I feel that big-budget games like CoD are ruining the industry, but not just in the ways most people here already discuss. The problem I see is that other companies (publishers, big-name developers) see the (market) success of these games and misappropriately set them as a standard for their own. The same can be said for the people who buy & play these games; they get accustomed to big-budget titles and they raise their standards and won't even touch smaller (often more enjoyable) games. This is ultimately destroying creativity and originality (or at least suppressing it). Of course there are some big-name titles that are actually good, but IMO the extreme competitiveness and comparison needs to be toned down. Games should be judged by what they offer, not what others already do or do not. We're not talking about automobiles or something where it's understandable to decide on only one; I'd prefer to have lots of good games that are unique than just one that tries to do it all.

Back on-topic, I suppose you could argue that it was a mistake for the developers of Homefront not to concentrate their limited resources on the story and depth of their campaign, but I feel it's something that is still mostly beyond their control due to the current state of the industry.

Your opinion is great, I totally agree with you.

I just don't understand these COD players that come in and say "The Game is a COD Clone", but then they don't want to play it unless it's like Call of Duty. It's rather contradictory of what they are saying.

I am personally really enjoying Homefront and I hope other people do as well

The same can be said for the people who buy & play these games; they get accustomed to big-budget titles and they raise their standards and won't even touch smaller (often more enjoyable) games. This is ultimately destroying creativity and originality (or at least suppressing it).

Minecraft says "hi" (although to be fair it's more the exception than the rule).

On what planet is a three hour, heavily scripted campaign acceptable?

If the devs wanted to create an MP-focused game, then they shouldn't waste resources on creating a lame token SP campaign that acts only as an on-line tutorial. They really need to grow a pair and go with their convictions, rather than chickening out and leaving all the decisions to a focus group.

Thanks for the warning, BangTail.

On what planet is a three hour, heavily scripted campaign acceptable?

On 'Planet Console Dullard' I suspect.

I have no plans to visit this bland and featureless world.

You are of course most welcome for the warning ;)