Sign in to follow this  
Joe98

A mark on the “3 O’clock� direction.

I am commanding a squad.

There is a small clock in the bottom right corner of the screen.

We are patrolling slowly.

As we patrol I scan to the left and to the right. I lose track of the 12 o’clock direction.

One of my soldiers reports “Enemy at 3 o’clockâ€. But I don’t know whether my soldier is in front or behind me, to my left or to my right.

I now have to study the clock to find 3 o’clock. It could be anywhere on the clock face. All this takes valuable seconds.

In real life I would hear my soldier, turn to face my soldier and he would be pointing at the enemy.

I can’t do that so we have to fudge it in-game. I suggest a red spot appear on the clock at the 3 position.

Then I can quickly turn and face that direction. And do it as quickly as in real life.

-

Yeah maybe if the targeting system worked both ways sort of, for commander and subordinates. Like when you receive an order from an AI commander, you get the red target box. So perhaps if it was possible for a similar marker to appear on targets when your AI subordinates call something out.

Play on recruit difficulty. There will be red markers highlighting enemies seen by yourself and your unit.

As a commander you can at any difficulty press 2 to get the target list. Close it, turn, press again; you can quickly determine which direction the enemy is really coming from.

-k

Close it, turn, press again; you can quickly determine which direction the enemy is really coming from.

Which way should I turn?

-

Play on recruit difficulty. There will be red markers highlighting enemies seen by yourself and your unit.

The OP wants a system recreating the situational awareness that a real commander would have, but is screwed up by the AI's poor abilities. Not a swarm of tinkerbell lights giving away the enemy like some sort of cheat.

The target menu method is what I use for last resort. It takes precious time, like studying the rotating clock.

OP: Make a devheaven ticket for this. Otherwise it will get lost in the shuffle.

Which way should I turn?

-

lol, think NkEnNy will get it now... ;P

Joe98 observe the AI behaviour eg simple place your team against some others in the editor and watch in 3rd Person/commanding view and what they are reporting + doing. Play around till you "know" why + what the AI is reporting. Usually the teamleader "sets" the clock bearing...his front 12 o'clock, his back 6 o'clock.

Orientation reports could be more improved for AI. ;)

It would be easier if AI would mainly use the compass bearing. Only exceptions are imho:

if the group is in a vehicle -> use clock bearing

if the heading/direction of movement is clear to all of the team -> use relative bearing eg reporting "...to our front...", "...to our right..." etc.

You will hear wrong + poor contact reports from players too (incl. pvp players). No one is perfect!

I instantly know where "3 O'clock" is when using a mere clock indicator and I play without any helpers but that one so I don't get what's the problem, just learn to use it

so I don't get what's the problem, just learn to use it

I thought I expressed myself clearly. I shall try again.

My character is walking towards the 12 o'clock position.

My character is constantly scanning to the left and to the right.

It means 12 o'clock is no longer ahead of me. 12 o'clock could be anywhere.

To find 3 o'clock means I have to turn 359 degrees!

-

Everytime you enter the 'targets(2)' menu your clock indicator updates.

If an enemy is listed at 3 o'clock turn CLOCKwise. (to the right)

If an enemy is listed 9 o'clock turn COUNTER-clockwise (to the left)

Take your time and avoid running in like a headless chicken. At sub-200meters the AI is quite adept at spotting enemies. If you can provide the binocular work of spotting the enemy, expect some pretty decent shooting from your own allies (equipment dependent)

If you find yourself with contacts being called in close terrain (and particularly if you have danger or stealth mode active) you are often better served by dropping prone and staying static (preferably in cover). Keep in mind that the AIs formation continiously updates based on your movement-- so you might disrupt your friendly AI's sight-picture by forcing movement.

-k

@Joe98: The O'clock system is based on direction of movement, not direction of looking. Change also takes time (meters) to apply. So if you have been moving east for a while, your 12 O'clock is due east as long as the general movement is in that direction.

Unless something has changed.