Sign in to follow this  
lightspeed_aust

Retexturing Chernarus to winter map??

Hey guys

I think Chernarus is a gr8 map but would like to see it in a winter style with snow covered areas.

Now I have never done anything around mapmaking and don't even know if the source code available is there to open Chernarus and retexture.

If it was though, how long would it take me to do it and how complex is it?

thanx

Lighty.

You need to talk to the guys who did the summer vegetation mod for chernarus, which basically replaced all the autumnal trees and grass with bright green summer versions.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=97347

You'd need to do something similar. If you could pull it off you'd get a lot of love from these forums :)

to re-tex the ground textures you need the source files for the island, i think only BIS have them

The creator(s) of the Thirsk Winter map may be able to help as that island is quite convincing. They already sorted out the issue with making realistic snow ground textures (and they actually sound like snow, too).

However you'd probably want to winterize buildings too, and that's a bit more problematic as you're looking at editing hundreds if not thousands of textures (many of which use multimaterial shaders and are rather confusing to figure out).

The real problem is really what ArmAriffic said, though, as you'd need to edit the satellite texture, which only BI has the source files for. In theory it shouldn't be impossible to stitch the sat texture back together and edit it, but I don't know if BI would like that idea, and besides, it would still be a big undertaking to winterize the entire 16x16km texture with decent quality.

nice idea! the houses would need to be reskinned too though so they don't look out of place.

I guess the problem would be to take away the leafs? Maybe one can replace them with invisible textures using hex edit?