Sign in to follow this  
Baz

how to retexture existing Arma 2 models

Hi guys, I have found out how to retexture models in the game but I have the problem of losing the details on the models... Like clothing seams, wrinkles, pockets, etc...

I want to change woodland marpat texture to desert marpat and I want to do it without changing such details on the textures so they are still showing that level of detail of seams, pockets, etc... in the textures.

Can someone help guide me as to how to go about this process?

Basically, how can I reskin stuff in photoshop CS5 without costing me a loss of detail in the seams and pockets and all that good details that are textured in?

You can't really cheat your way around the detail of the models, they can be as detailed as you can make them! pay close attention to where the seams and pockets are and try and recreate them as closely as you can on your texture! A way to cheat around the highlights and lowlights I have found is to get the original nohq file turn it grayscale and place it over your co ( texture ) file then either use the layer masks to allow the original image to become visible through the layer with the shadow effects still visible or use the sliders in the layers box on the bottom right to adjust the transparency and then when you are happy with how it looks create new layers and add your own details on top!

Sorry if that isn't too clear.

I think it has something to do with the fact that those PAA files you're viewing are combined with the bump mapping. Try texturing right over that with your flat texture, and make a new layer with shadows and highlights.

Im not that versed with texturing so, how exactly do I do what you guys said I should do... Which is use the nohq bump map to overlay such details?

baz

get the NOHQ map, desaturate the parts you want to texture, dont desaturate boots etc

now you have a grayscale, copy&paste this grayscale over the .co map(which is the textured map and has the colour)

now get your sample of MARPAT and make it transparent

now copy&paste the transparent MARPAT over the parts you want to texture

mess around with how bright/dark it is until your happy

baz

now get your sample of MARPAT and make it transparent

now copy&paste the transparent MARPAT over the parts you want to texture

mess around with how bright/dark it is until your happy

how do I get it transparent in CS5 and how do I mess around with how bright and dark the marpat should look on the uniform

IE: what settings / adjustments in CS5

how do I get it transparent in CS5 and how do I mess around with how bright and dark the marpat should look on the uniform

it is layer settings -> above the selected layer, opacity and fill. You can always use masks just as well

IE: what settings / adjustments in CS5

adjustments: levels or hue/saturation or brightness contrast or shadow/highlights, depending on the needs and prederances.

come on baz, the internetz is full of basic PS tutorials...

Edited by PuFu

how can I get an already existing texture with different UV mapping to be edited onto a new texture for a reskin without having the seams and wrinkles copy over that will cause the texture to have pockets and wrinkles in the wrong places, etc...

Also, you didn't say how i make the marpat transparent, just how to make it light or dark.

I'm trying to make a desert marpat that matches the one in ACEX desert marines for my force recon reskins.

how can I get an already existing texture with different UV mapping to be edited onto a new texture for a reskin without having the seams and wrinkles copy over that will cause the texture to have pockets and wrinkles in the wrong places, etc...

grab the noHQ and the AS paas, convert them to TGA, desature (edit per need, the nohq is the normal tangent map), and blend them in your diffuse map. You should have all the wrinkles etc backed in those.

Also, you didn't say how i make the marpat transparent, just how to make it light or dark.

i did, check above, my mistake for including my reply in the quoted message.

EDIT:

i re-read your message: if you want to use a texture that has different UV space, that would never fit perfectly, so you'll need to edit it a lot by hand

Edited by PuFu

I have a new problem, I want to make the pilot helmet a woodland and desert marpat pattern to reflect the tradition of USMC pilots that wear helmet covers. I have the co.paa done but it just looks like its painted on the helmet.

I want to make it look like cloth and have wrinkles like a helmet cover would...

Any ideas?

pic of helmet:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/Baz000/arma2oa2011-03-1817-06-37-16.png

Edited by Baz

just edit the nohq (normal map) for the helmet, then you can edit the color file in a blend mode to create some wrinkles..In order to reduce the reflectivity (cloth versus painted metal), you will need to modify the rvmat values (create a new rvmat altogether if you are hexediting).

I need a more detailed explaination since i'm new to this editing the nohq is my hangup... I have the co.paa already edited to look like it has wrinkles

Edited by Baz

I need a more detailed explaination since i'm new to this editing the nohq is my hangup... I have the co.paa already edited to look like it has wrinkles

please define your hangup...

___

For NOHQ (tangent space normal maps) all information you need is stored in the RGB channels:

R channel encodes X (horizontal) vector information.

G channel encodes Y (vertical) vector information.

B channel encodes Z (depth) vector information.

Further information about Normal Maps

Edited by PuFu

how can I get the intended effect that i'm looking for... Of changing the pilot's helmet into the appearance of a marpat helmet cover? I tried editing the co, the nohq, and the rvmat. The only progress I have is that the helmet is not as shiny anymore due to the edited rvmat.

what normal map filter settings should I use?

Edited by Baz

the linker split tut helped me alot, at least the helmet looks more like cloth but the wrinkles seem to be lacking in detail in game

If you want painting tips to solve specific problems, you'll probably have to post screen shots.

Edited by Max Power