Sign in to follow this  
mcarma

Weapons's sway question

I am trying to get back into this game which I never spent much time on in the past.

I have been watching a lot of videos from player's recordings and I notice that many have next to no sway.

However when I play I have a lot more. Why is this?

I am trying to get back into this game which I never spent much time on in the past.

I have been watching a lot of videos from player's recordings and I notice that many have next to no sway.

However when I play I have a lot more. Why is this?

Because you did not disable it in the game options?

Because you did not disable it in the game options?

You can disable weapon sway now?

You get a lot of sway if you run around a lot or get injured.

You can disable weapon sway now?
Yes since Armed Assault. Just put the weapon float and if you want so the head bob slider to zero. options > game options you can also disable or enable a plethora of other things like camera shaking or any custom A.I. skill.

The sway from running or beeing injured is hardcoded and will stay since this a a simulation and as such running around should never be your primary style of movement. The shaking of your weapon is on purpose handicap.

Edited by Beagle

Yes since Armed Assault. Just put the weapon float and if you want so the head bob slider to zero. options > game options you can also disable or enable a plethora of other things like camera shaking or any custom A.I. skill.

We have different definitions of weapon sway.

You mean the flot zone and the head blob.

Weapon sway = the amount of movement/sway you have when trying to aim down the sights, due to injury, tiredness etc.

You mean the flot zone and the head blob.

Weapon sway = the amount of movement/sway you have when trying to aim down the sights, due to injury, tiredness etc.

My menu language is in german so it might be we mean fully different things. But there is no constant sway in the game, only after running around like headless chicken or when injured and both cases are there for a good reason.

Edited by Beagle

My menu language is in german so it might be we mean fully different things. But there is no constant sway in the game, only after running around like headless chicken or when injured and both cases are there for a good reason.

Unless I am mistaken and ACE has added it, there is limited sway at all times, to encourage firing from prone position.

Unless I am mistaken and ACE has added it, there is limited sway at all times, to encourage firing from prone position.
but barely noticable, this was changed with the stronger muzzle climb and no autocenter behaviour in 1.54...it also depends on the weapon used since all of them have slightly other handling values.

Hi, @MCarma the videos that you've seen were probably recorded using the ACE2 mod, AFAIK it's the only mod that disables the unrealistic, annoying and bad weapon sway that we've when we walk standing aiming down the sights. I think that that's the reason behind it. Let's C ya

but barely noticable, this was changed with the stronger muzzle climb and no autocenter behaviour in 1.54...it also depends on the weapon used since all of them have slightly other handling values.

Actually, last time I checked (Either OFP or ArmA1, cant remember), weapon sway was defined per animation in the config, combined with I assume hardcoded modifiers for stamina and damage.

Depends what you mean by 'sway'.

If you mean recoil, the sights will jump up off target every time you pull the trigger.

If you're firing automatic bursts, your sights will climb even more and you're likely to bring down a flock of geese passing overhead.

If you mean the way the sights float and sway around before you fire, that's realistic and normal, so crouch on one knee to steady them, or even better lie prone.

Also hold the right mouse butt to "hold breath" and steady the sights even more.

Also if you've just been running you'll notice the sights float and sway even more as your heart pounds and you gasp for breath, so rest a minute or two til you recover.

Hi, weapon sway means to me: weapon sway. And recoil means to me: Recoil. The recoil is not bad but the weapon sway while you walk aiming down the sights is completly over done; it only serves for encourage you (the player) to stop before shoot, that's all. Is not realistic, non any trained soldier will have that huge sway unless the machine gunners and im talking about MG3 and M240 like machineguns, not a M249 or things of that size.

Bu the weapons is something that don't gonna change. Let's C ya

..the weapon sway while you walk aiming down the sights is completly over done; it only serves for encourage you (the player) to stop before shoot, that's all...

Who the hell wants to walk and shoot at the same time?

The recoil is not bad but the weapon sway while you walk aiming down the sights is completly over done; it only serves for encourage you (the player) to stop before shoot, that's all. Is not realistic, non any trained soldier will have that huge sway unless the machine gunners and im talking about MG3 and M240 like machineguns, not a M249 or things of that size.

Bu the weapons is something that don't gonna change. Let's C ya

Unfortunately the weapon sway while moving is something that cannot be fixe without creating a new animation for it, or being able to modify the existing one (not the case here for the community since its binned).

Anyone who wants to save time when encountering an enemy at close range while running.

Anyone who wants to save time when encountering an enemy at close range while running.

Just like in Operation Flashpoint :) While technology has advanced I always felt that the rythm of operation flashpoints animations were very good. Certainly much better suited for close combat too!

-k

Celery did you folks train alot moving and firing at same time. I've understood you served in Kaartinjääkärirykmentti as a rifleman. I've heard those guys trains pretty lot about it and get good results out of it. Keeping hits on A4 paper from several tens of meters, while moving.

At my time (over 10 years ago) whole symmetric shooting position and tactical weapon handling was totally foreign idea unlike these days. Things have improved a lot when it comes to good weapon handling. Cladly i've been able to update my training.

Hi, if spot NMEs at less than 100m when im going (walking aiming down the sights) i'll like to shoot at 'em with accuracy as i was trained to do in the spanish Marine Infantry.

It's not hard if you control your breath, walk in straight line and with short (but fast enough) steps; i've seen junkies (in my company) doing it well, some even really well; and that's what BIS didn't on the ArmA that didn't fixed on the ArmA2 and neither on the OA/CO, are exactly the same unrealistic and bad animations than in the ArmA. Just take a pistol on the game and walk aiming down the sights... you'll see a huge sway that's just wrong.

This don't gonna be fixed, or at least i don't spect BIS to fix it for many reasons, this huge bug encourages people to move slowly and recover the breath before shoot and always, always shoot wizout move. With this crazy weapons sway that we've... you can miss a standing target that be at more than 3m from you; do you think that that's right..!? i can tell you (and tell to BIS) that it's completly wrong without fear to be wrong.

Everyone that ever has been trained to use assault rifles know that the weapons sway on this game is wrong, even BIS know it... but they don't want to fix it. We're Mahoma vs The Mountain.

---------- Post added at 04:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 AM ----------

you can fix that by lowering aiming deadzone.

Wrong, you can't fix it adjusting the dead zone; because is the animation where the problem is and don't have any relation wiz the dead zone. The dead zone can do it worst, but can't fix it. One thing about the dead zone or "free floating zone..." if you aim down the sights and hit: Free Look. To enjoy the benefits of turn your upper boddy but non the lower... you can't hold your breath as that bring you back to the 1St person view and don't holds the breath. So there's another bug for BIS to fix, if they want... . Let's C ya

Edited by wipman