Sign in to follow this  
robbie84

Multiplayer Bots?

Hi.

Just a note - please don't say "why not play online?". That is not the point. I played online but I have no idea what am I doing especially in some crazy mods like Domination. I want to practice first.

Bots. But again problems.

I want to play Deathmatch or other supported mod vs bots but there are no options to configure it.

I found Deathmatch option in Takistan but I can't configure anything. There are only 7 bots + me in "Independant" faction without any choice. I get AK47 and that's it.

Here are the screenshots and options I have when starting a new MP game. Please look:

http://www.multiupload.com/A7X8YWCVHX

Look at 2.Chernarus. It is the only map offering Deathmatch and some others. Why?

I am new to Multiplayer so I am not 100% sure what are the capabilities of playing solo, BUT if I've been able to play Deathmatch on Chernarus vs 7 bots with oldest possible AK47 and Independant faction then I reckon there should be more options.

I just "want" simple things:

-more bots

-playable arma2/oa MP mods

-usmc/insurgents/other factions

-more weapons and vehicles

-all maps playable. where are arma mp maps?

Is that possible to configure and how? I tried looking everywhere in MP menu but I couldn't find anything.

Does ArmA.2 + OA + 2xDLC have "full" bot support?

Please help me out here if there is a solution.

Thanks!

First of all, ArmA 2 doesn't have "Bots", it has "AI". The AI is mainly designed to work and function as group in a rather large environment, using battlefield tactics and maneuvres. It fails on deathmatch environment since it just isn't designed for that purpose.

If DM is your favorite gamemode (and even alone and not online), i seriously doubt that ArmA 2 can fulfill your needs.

Other than that, there is a nifty little toy called "Editor" built-in which let's you design your own missions...also DM if you want. There you can put down whatever you need.

Myke;1858062']First of all' date=' ArmA 2 doesn't have "Bots", it has "AI". The AI is mainly designed to work and function as group in a rather large environment, using battlefield tactics and maneuvres. It fails on deathmatch environment since it just isn't designed for that purpose.

If DM is your favorite gamemode (and even alone and not online), i seriously doubt that ArmA 2 can fulfill your needs.

Other than that, there is a nifty little toy called "Editor" built-in which let's you design your own missions...also DM if you want. There you can put down whatever you need.[/quote']

So, Bots are not AI?

Anyway, I understand the purpose of AI(!) in the game but you are wrong. I played Deathmatch on some map vs 7 bots. That is why I am asking can it be configured.

As for Editor...

I just wanted to have fun shooting bots around and honing my skill a bit + learning gamemodes and maps.

Also look at this site for goodies and alot of ready to go missions of every kind:

http://www.armaholic.com/list.php?c=...iles_scenarios

And this one to select more widely also addons:

http://www.armaholic.com/list.php?c=files

I know about that. I had something else in mind.

Well nevermind.

There is a really cool SP Mission where you play a tournament.

You go in an small area with one enemy.The winner can buy new weapons with his winning money and fight the next round.

Sadly i forgot the name.Maybe someone else knews.

But as said the AI isn´t made for this quick kill action.

Take some minutes,place a few enemy units somewhere in the Editor, arm yourself and you are ready to go.

Yeah, I did some Editor missions, but it is not "random". Well atleast I don't know how to make it that way. I always know where my enemy is. 10000 waypoints is cool but still...

I just looked again and there is a great feature in MP - Chernarus. US vs RU. Too bad only 16 players max. It has whole shebang. Buy units, buildings, etc...

I just wish there is more of that and similar.

Yeah, I did some Editor missions, but it is not "random". Well atleast I don't know how to make it that way. I always know where my enemy is. 10000 waypoints is cool but still...

I just looked again and there is a great feature in MP - Chernarus. US vs RU. Too bad only 16 players max. It has whole shebang. Buy units, buildings, etc...

You can make Editor missions pretty random, and since the "Bots" use a kind of intelligence to react to surroundings the mission turns out more and more random.

Use the modules.

The editor allows much more life like mission as Multiplayer could ever deliver since in MP all is boosted to the max and you fight Rambos with elite gear all the time.

U can easily give every unit a random chance of appearing.

And u can simple make your way points bigger.With a radius 500x500 u have no idea where he goes.In the way point options u can even choose the time between the next wp.

That all and much more is easy to do with no scripts or addons.

U even have sliders for a lot of stuff!

sorry Beagle was faster :D

@robbie84: dude are you sure you are not confusing something here?

You won't find 'deathmatch' in this game like you expect it from other typical online shooters. Trying to do so is futile. Remember that.

I understand that people here try to help you to their best ability but "deathmatch" in this game will be clunky and not as dynamic as you want it to be.

The strength of the game comes from playing complex scenarios (preferably coop) as a team while proceeding carefully, not running around blowing stuff up because that ends fast for you. The only way to learn basics of the game is to fire up single-mission scenarios from ArmA2 and OA which deal with different features. Jumping into the editor straight on while not knowing how game works is a bad idea.

You won't find 'deathmatch' in this game like you expect it from other typical online shooters. Trying to do so is futile. Remember that.

I understand that people here try to help you to their best ability but "deathmatch" in this game will be clunky and not as dynamic as you want it to be.

I couldn't possibly disagree more with you :) Not only deathmatches in arma2 can be extremely fast and not clunky, but they also can be well very customized :)

@robbie84: dude are you sure you are not confusing something here?

The strength of the game comes from playing complex scenarios (preferably coop) as a team while proceeding carefully, not running around blowing stuff up because that ends fast for you. The only way to learn basics of the game is to fire up single-mission scenarios from ArmA2 and OA which deal with different features. Jumping into the editor straight on while not knowing how game works is a bad idea.

Mate, I know this isn't kind of game for playing vs bots. And I do understand the complexity. I just want to shoot something and hone my aim skills + some other things.

---------- Post added at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 PM ----------

Check this: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=106353

It is exactly what you are looking for.

Thanks. I'll try it out now.

Mate, I know this isn't kind of game for playing vs bots. And I do understand the complexity. I just want to shoot something and hone my aim skills + some other things.

In that case why not just place a few AI around a town with Search & Destroy waypoints, put you in the center, and then try to clear it out? ;)

There are official SP missions that are not part of the campaign and throw you right into the action? Why not use them?

Also aim skills mean next to nothing in this game. The most important skill is awareness. E.g. whoever sees an enemy first - wins. Small scale deathmatch won't help you with that.

It's not just Deathmatch. I just used that as example. All in all, I was just wondering can I play ArmA2 modes in MP vs AI. That is all.

But anyway, problem solved. Thanks PvPscene for this great addon.

So, Bots are not AI?

Not at all.

Bot: entity that follows randomly paths here and there.

AI: entity that tries to evaluate the best tactic to kill a enemy (be it another AI or the player) without being killed.

Also i didn't said that DM is impossible with AI, what i meant was that the routines are not designed for this gamemode so the experience might fall short compared to specially designed DM-bots.

robbie84 you can play on our server. Look for getSkillD (more info).

It runs with AI mode active by default with A&S missions in the mission cycle.

PS: You can find more about the game mode in the PvPscene wiki article.

PSS: You can use the optional, client side addons from the PvPscene addon packs.

Cheers PvPscene. I am having a blast with this mod.

But I was wondering, what addons "should" I download? There is a lot of stuff there and I don't need them all. What are most useful?

PS. Will you making another mod instead of "CTF" gamemode?

You are welcome roobie84 :)

In terms of addons as a start a sound replacement like JSRS, RealWarSound or SoA adds a lot.

Personally the various gameplay tweaks are very important to me.

Check the PVPMissionWizard for the PVPScriptPack from Mac for other game modes.

It is very easy and fun to make CTF, C&H and all classic and some new missions with it.

Check the videos here

PS: A&S ProMode is a mix of AAS (Attack and Secure) and A&D (Attack and Defend). :)

WoW! PVPMissionWizard is really awesome. But it is only for MP? I didn't see SP mission creating option. Like Scenario. That would be a nice addon for ppl who want to make non-coop missions.

But it doesn't matter. Great tool.

Edited by robbie84

You can always go multiplayer-host and make a local server yourself for MP missions (aka

with different respawn possibilities).

The only benefit of SP is or better was the campaign ability. In other words to run several

missions in relation to each other. With a2 this can be done as local host now too.