Sign in to follow this  
max power

[Tutorial] From Diffuse to SMDI

Using the same files I created for the diffuse tut, I wrote a tut on how to use that information and create some smdi information, and on specular and gloss maps in general. Coming soon: how to make the actual smdi file, some pics, and Part 2: The Gromov Method (thanks to Gromov). I have some playing with it to do before I can confidently say I understand it and then can write about it. A warning that it's a lot of text, though.

Please comment on the content of the text regarding errors, omissions, superfluous self-indulgent prattling, etc.

Edited by Max Power

Thank you very much for your effort...

i hope once you finished your tutorials you put them all together for all us beginners.

nice move...

Yeah, the aim is to have a tut for every texture used by the supershader.

@MaxPower:

I'm sorry if this look as necroposting... but could you be so kind to tell us if that tut is somehow available... thanks!

I guess I should get around to writing actually how to make a smdi map out of a spec and gloss map. I've written it on the forum but not in this tutorial.

---------- Post added at 19:46 ---------- Previous post was at 18:31 ----------

Chapter 3 now addresses how to create a smdi tga file.

I read the chapter 3 and I was expecting to know about "The Gromov way" (lol, it sounds as some serious former KGB undercover stuff)... anyways I'll keep trying to fully understand the "hard way" as you name it... :(

I read the chapter 3 and I was expecting to know about "The Gromov way" (lol, it sounds as some serious former KGB undercover stuff)... anyways I'll keep trying to fully understand the "hard way" as you name it... :(

A while ago, a user named Gromov explained to me a little about using the channel mixer to get the desired results. I've experimented with it a little bit but so far I'm not really in a position to write a tut about it besides 'open channel mixer, fiddle with controls...'

I updated the tut with a more accurate description of what smdi means, and wrote out how to make a smdi file out of a spec map and gloss map.