Sign in to follow this  
Voyageur

About Addons

Its been chilling for a few years but it ain't dead yet, is it dying? -everything is.

STGN

More alive than Armed Assault is, at least when it comes to forum activity. How would you define "dying" anyway?

How would you define "dying" anyway?

To me, it means game/fansites that are listed in Google, but no longer exist, forums that are full of dead links and no updates about addons/mods. Thanks to OFPR.info, OFP will live to see the 10th anniversary of it's release on June 22nd 2011, an extremely rare feat, most game/fansites, mods, and communities are dead before the 2nd year of the game's life :yay:

I don't think it can "die",as such.It may have less activity in it's online interest.Whether that be Multiplay or modding.But I think it's unique enough to still hold interest for a good number of people.Not to mention that it's easier on your hardware than newer titles.(Although it might not use newer hardware very well.)

Neither do I think it needs to have legions of followers to be considered a valid form of entertainment.A good game is simply a good game.Speaking personally,I don't judge a games worth on the amount of people yapping about it.I'd consider it a going concern as long as there's some people discussing and especially contributing to it.And there's still a few people doing exactly that.

I've noticed a few more new members recently too.

Inevitably interest will wane.But it's still attracting some attention,even

this far down the line.So it should probably be around a little while longer.

I think a more apt description,at this point,would be that it's not as trendy as it used to be. :)

Edited by Macser

yet with strange aeons even death may die

Someone's reading too much.

I have just started playing OFP on my glorified netbook.

I think there are a few playing on ultra portable laptops, its runs well on mine.

edit:

BIS, Please get this game back on GOG.com

Edited by Mack.

A good game will never die, ie:

UFO, Dungeon Master, Aces Of the Deep, Doom, Panzer general, etc...

( most of them were ported to Lunix so I still play them once in a while with the same pleasure )

I just dream one day OFP wil go open source ( Yes I know ... this is just a dream )

@psychobambi: +1 for GOG, my original CD's are getting tired ...

We find less and less activity about addons and multiplayer. Personaly I often play in Ofp I think it has a big capacity in the source engine (simplicity) compared to Arma and ArmAII but it is a old game today and his limits are achieved .This is the reason (i think) for which many leaves Ofp. There are no more creation today even this game is interesting for some people. I prefer Ofp more than his successor (I played the Arma II demo) but it's my opinion. I can't modding today (Windows seven) but i tryed to modding in my old config and it's difficult, congratulation for all scripters, addons makers and texturers for their works, I encourage the modders to continue :)

Ps: signal if you see a typing error xD ...

Edited by Voyageur
typing error (je suis honteux) x)

Why can't you mod in windows7?

Not sure I agree its limits are achieved, although many barriers have been reached, that is true.

STGN

Edited by STGN

his limits are achieved

if you mean eye-candy stuff; for me this is not essential. Take a look at COD games, sure they are nice, but really boring.

Arma2 is nice, but it has lost its fun (too serious in my opinion). ofp is old, but it has always the same fun.

[french stage whisper]: t'inquiète pour ton orthographe, perso je m'en fiche :p[/french stage whisper]

his limits are achieved .

Bah! Did people believe in 2001 that we could ever get things like swimming or melee combat? Well, we did, thanks to the creative modders and scripters of the community.

What makes OFP is so great IMO is it's hidden capability. It didn't have top-notch graphics when it was released, and now they are considered ancient. Instead, BIS created a scripting engine with huge potential, which inspired creativity never seen before.

But sure, the active days of OFP are over. But lemme tell ya, it will join the hallowed halls of greatest games of all times - possibly not the mainstream section, but the one with Dwarf Fortress, Nethack and the like.

OFP is currently one of the few games installed on my computer. They don't make stuff like that anymore.