nobrainer

2500 ping issue on dedicated server

We're using Windows 7 64-bit english as our server.

We're running 1 instance og A2:CO beta 77819 and we have also tried vanilla and other beta's.

We are behind a firewall and all the logs look ok.

We have opened all UDP ports out from the server to internet, and we have opened these ports in from Internet to the server:

* 6667 (IRC)

* 3783 (Voice Chat Port)

* 27900 (Master Server UDP Heartbeat)

* 28900 (Master Server List Request)

* 29900 (GP Connection Manager)

* 29901 (GP Search Manager)

* 13139 (Custom UDP Pings)

* 6515 (Dplay UDP)

* 6500 (Query Port)

Issue #1: We still have ping = 2500

We don't see that anything is blocked in the firewall.

Why do we get 2500 ping??

I had the same problem, seems it's router specific. I had a ranged forward set up as 2302-2305 on my Belkin. When I changed it to three separate ones (2302, 2303 and 2305) all began working. I even block ICMP traffic without issue.

Only advice I can really give is to start eliminating things one by one, disable the firewall for a few minutes to be sure it isn't that, etc.

We have a Cisco business firewall and no home network.

We don't use BattlEye and it's "private" as in passworded server.

I just don't know if it's our connection or if it's BIS server.exe or Gamespy?

Well i do not know if this is any help at all, but could be related:

With the 1.57 i see our Battlegroup XTRA servers with a ping of 2500

With a beta patch(doesnt seem to matter which one), the ping shows correctly below 50...

(Server version is 1.57.76818)

Edited by Toxim

Thanks for reply, but like I said, we have tried vanilla and all betas....same problem

Add the .EXEs to the exception list, just opening the ports doesn't do the trick, I had the same problem on our 2008 R2 dedi.

To do this:

Control Panel > Windows Firewall > Allow a Program of Feature through windows firewall > Allow another program

Also add the manual windows firewall PORT exceptions by going to Advanced Options, you'll need to create two entries for EACH EXE, one in inbound rules and one in outbound rules.

Within these rules, you need to select the program again under "Programs and Services", set protocols and ports to ANY and leave the rest default.

After this you should all be good. Any further ping issues relate to possible hardware you may be running behind, i.e. Router or perhaps you're running non-standard firewall software... not something you should do on a dedi unless you know what you're doing, else you day can get ruined quite quickly.

Edited by rexehuk

Thanks for reply.

Will test this out!

---------- Post added at 09:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 PM ----------

argh.. I all ready had those rules in the firewall.

Did u fix this as I have the same problem.

I to get 2500 in red displayed but in game I get a ping of 3 but I am on the local network I need to get some one to join I suppose out side of me LAN.

Any ways did ya have any luck?.

Thanks

if you use win 7 the try to disable the UAC like this. (this fixed the port 2500 problem for me

To disable the UAC, enter the Control Panel and type UAC in the search box.

The first result returned by the search will be User Accounts – Turn User Account Control (UAC) on or off.

that will fix the pbo tool unpack and repack to

:)that is disable the UAC on the server

Edited by swed
forgot somthing

I wouldn't attest to the certainty of anything I say here but my understanding is that a 2500 ping means that your server has managed to report itself to the gamespy list server but that the client cannot query it. This might mean;

a) The client cannot interrogate the server via UDP (default 2302-2305) but if this were the case you wouldn't be able to join or play on the server at all, or;

b) The GameSpy list server has been unable to negotiate the server's NAT and has listed the server as query by ping and the problem is clients cannot get a true ping reading via ICMP.

If you can join the server and play on it at all this would discount a). To test b) try adding the server by IP address via the Remote button and see if it then shows up (use a name filter to be sure) with the correct ping. If so, there's nothing that can be done about the master list server failing to determine the NAT type, all you can do instead is focus on making sure your server is reachable via ICMP, easily testable using Windows' ping. In my case my server was responding to ICMP but the in-game browser was using an undersize ping packet which was being ditched by the routers around my server (I could prove this by specifying the ping payload size, at a certain size responses would cease). As luck would have it I found that one of the three locations I could select for the server had routers that weren't configured as such and it then started working. With query-by-ICMP you still don't get a playerlist and there may be issues with mod reporting but at least the ping will show correctly.

ah.

I can't ping it...

May have to talk about that to my network / firewall guru.

It's worth a shot!

Thanks for reply

is the server on the same router as your playing computer

the try disable the UCA on your playing computer to

you can try to run the exe file in admin mode to

If so, there's nothing that can be done about the master list server failing to determine the NAT type.

On second thought, I guess if you have full control of your router (I did not) there may be a way to make it more GameSpy friendly but I've no idea how.

nope, the server is 20km away.....

And I have disabled UAC on my computer long time ago.

But I will try Defunkt method and see if that works. If we're allowed to do that.

Have to wait until business opens tomorrow to fix the ICMP.

Edited by NoBrainer

Same issue here.

Server 2008 R2

Windows firewall is OFF

UAC is OFF.

Ports 2302, 2303, 2305 are open in our Cisco ASA.

Icmp is allowed to the server.

Server shows up with green circle but no ping. If I add it as remote host, then my ping shows up correctly.

I haven't patched it with any betas but I guess that'll be my next step.

Icmp is allowed to the server.

So when you ping your server from Windows you get the expected response?

Can you gain access to a Linux a machine? If you can I'd suggest attempting:

ping -s 32 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

and/or

traceroute -I xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 32

where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is your server's IP address and 32 specifies the ICMP payload size. You will likely get the expected response. Then try changing 32 to 6 (IIRC this is the payload size the ingame browser uses) and see if you get the same responses, in my case the routers around my virtual server would ditch ping packets with a payload under 20 bytes.

Unfortunately I don't have access to a linux server.

Do you? Can you try that ping to 66.239.221.141 for me?

I just tried using a beta server but no luck.

Thanks!

Yes just tried it and got a response with all payload sizes so it must be something else (I also remembered you can specify payload size with Windows ping using -l). All I can really suggest at this point is to install a packet sniffer like Wireshark and get down and dirty with the traffic but that's not for the faint of heart.

ICMP is now allowed but.....

Win 7 is set up as home network.

I can ping and get reply within the network

I can ping but get no reply from outside.

We have found out that Win7 firewall rules stops these reply's.

How can we turn off this mode in win7?

---------- Post added at 10:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 AM ----------

this might work

http://www.sysprobs.com/enable-ping-reply-windows-7

Checking it tonight

---------- Post added at 11:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

Seems like it works now

---------- Post added at 11:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 AM ----------

Seems to work

Yeah!

ICMP is now allowed but.....

Win 7 is set up as home network.

I can ping and get reply within the network

I can ping but get no reply from outside.

We have found out that Win7 firewall rules stops these reply's.

How can we turn off this mode in win7?

---------- Post added at 10:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 AM ----------

this might work

http://www.sysprobs.com/enable-ping-reply-windows-7

Checking it tonight

---------- Post added at 11:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

Seems like it works now

---------- Post added at 11:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 AM ----------

Seems to work

Yeah!

I tried this as well, although I already had windows firewall completely disabled... so I turned it on and did the fix you linked and it actually seems to work.

I'll confirm it later for my server, but looks good so far... although I've had this false feeling of success many times in the past.

Networking is a weakness of mine, so I really appreciate you all taking the time to offer your tips and suggestions. :)

I get a reported ping of 2500 but my server is running win XP pro so does this fix still apply?.

Thanks

We have done a lot!!

Allowed ports incoming and outgoing

And the part with the firewall on Windows.

If your using any firewall on your win xp, I would check it out, but most of this was done at an external firewall.