Sign in to follow this  
zrad522

ArmA 2 CO Stereoscopic 3D Anaglyph

Hey everyone, made a quick vid of 3D ArmA 2. I really enjoyed playing in the depth the 3D provides, regardless of the bugs, slight lag, and slight discoloration. I used IZ3D for this particular video, but from what i've tested, I only got it to work with DirectX 9. (ARMA 2 in XPMode) I now use a program called TiDef, and I love its easy to use/launch the games in 3D mode, and supports DirectX 9-11. Costs $50 for TriDef (includes other 3D modes built in, if you upgrade hardware), and IZ3D is free (at least the anaglyph is) but when you compare the cost of anaglyph to the more professional setups, you can save around ~$400 by going anaglyph. I personally dont think its worth ~$400 just for a less distorted colorization method (if you watched the video, the only decolorization you really see is a red glow on red colored things), slightly etter 3D depth, and less bugs. So break out those old red/cyan glasses, and enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN0oWXo49ZA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyJX3E1ApDA

3D WITH ANAGLYPH RED/CYAN 3D GLASSES ONLY

If you don't have the glasses, you can get them for free, and pay less than a dollar for shipping.

Honestly, its worth it for less than a dollar, being cheaper than chips.

All graphics settings are set to the highest possible.

For the best 3D performance, please switch to 720p HD.

Edited by Zrad522
Key points from responses added.

Nice vid Zrad.

Can you tell me how to activate the 3d anaglyph mode with an ATI card? (Which drivers are you using?)

I did try it when I had an NVidia card and it was fun to experience but I woulnd't want to play for hours in anaglyph. (after a few minutes my brain started to adapt my vision and I saw blue tint on left eye and red on right after I taking off the glasses)

THESE 3d Stereo glasses with head tracking would be my dream to use with ARMA... TOTAL IMMERSION (apart from peripheral vision :()

Assuming head tracking worked accurately without lag

Res is a bit low at 1280x768 but I could live with that ;)

Edited by EDcase

Nice vid Zrad.

Can you tell me how to activate the 3d anaglyph mode with an ATI card? (Which drivers are you using?)

I did try it when I had an NVidia card and it was fun to experience but I woulnd't want to play for hours in anaglyph. (after a few minutes my brain started to adapt my vision and I saw blue tint on left eye and red on right after I taking off the glasses)

THESE 3d Stereo glasses with head tracking would be my dream to use with ARMA... TOTAL IMMERSION (apart from peripheral vision :()

Assuming head tracking worked accurately without lag

I used IZ3D for this particular video, but from what i've tested, I only got it to work with DirectX 9. (ARMA 2 in XPMode) I now use a program called TiDef, and I love its easy to use/launch the games in 3D mode, and supports DirectX 9-11. Costs $50 for TriDef (includes other 3D modes built in, if you upgrade hardware), and IZ3D is free (at least the anaglyph is) but when you compare the cost of anaglyph to the more professional setups, you can save around ~$400 by going anaglyph. I personally dont think its worth ~$400 just for a less distorted colorization method (if you watched the video, the only decolorization you really see is a red glow on red colored things), slightly etter 3D depth, and less bugs.

"This video contains content from Sony Music Entertainment. It is not available in your country. "

I am in Germany, any chance of uploading a European friendly version?

"This video contains content from Sony Music Entertainment. It is not available in your country. "

I am in Germany, any chance of uploading a European friendly version?

Yea, its only blocked in Germany because of some bad government negotiations with YouTube, or something like that. Ill release a 3D video of some first person gameplay, amongst other gameplay as well, for the Germany users. I should have an upload released in the next 2 days.

Thanks for your reply Zrad.

You could upload to Vimeo. Not as popular as Utube but no copyright problems and better quality...

3D images makes me sick, 3D videos destroy my eyes, not to mention it gives me headaches :s

I've used the IZ3D drivers to good effect in ArmA2, but it does get irritating after a while. It's difficult to get a blend of "realistic" depth cue and effective 3D, however it is possible to offset the 3D seperation to only one eye, meaning you can still use optics/ironsights properly if you close one eye :)

Actually the only game I've found the 3D to work in and be entertaining is Assassin's Creed. Also the colour pallette for that game suits it more.

I've used the IZ3D drivers to good effect in ArmA2, but it does get irritating after a while. It's difficult to get a blend of "realistic" depth cue and effective 3D, however it is possible to offset the 3D seperation to only one eye, meaning you can still use optics/ironsights properly if you close one eye :)

Actually the only game I've found the 3D to work in and be entertaining is Assassin's Creed. Also the colour pallette for that game suits it more.

Its just one of those "whoa" moments. Im not sure I could go for long either.

lol, I approached my hand trying to catch the little helicopter from the monitor... ouch my eyes... I feel like as I have a patch in one eye now :s

i was mucking around with the 3D options in arma with my 285gtx and came to the conclusion its not worth the headache if i plan on playing arma in 3d i need a proper setup probably with the nvidea 3d glass's and the samsung 2233rz 3D LCD monitor anyone actually tried that setup with arma whats it like? does the crosshairs actually work?

btw i found this video on youtube about some new 3d tech that i thought was a very creative video enjoy.

I think the HUDs don't work in 3d but not sure.

Zrad, I tried IZ3d but it didn't work for me (HD5870). Maybe I didn't set it up right.

Lol, Killakaze. Thats a funny spoof vid. :D

Edited by EDcase

Ladies and gentlmen: I present to you, stereoscopic video without glasses :)

Uef17zOCDb8

I think the HUDs don't work in 3d but not sure.

Zrad, I tried IZ3d but it didn't work for me (HD5870). Maybe I didn't set it up right.

Lol, Killakaze. Thats a funny spoof vid. :D

Make sure ArmA 2 runs in XPMode if you use IZ3D. I had trouble setting it up also.

Well at least DM has the decency to embed it :)

Lol, I couldn't figure out how to do it for the 3D vid. Oh well.

It's a cool concept but doesn't really carry legs in game, best experience I had using it was stuff like apache guncams and the Mando missile tv sights

If you export it as a side by side rather than anaglyph you can let youtube automatically do the merging for you in a variety of formats

Make sure ArmA 2 runs in XPMode if you use IZ3D. I had trouble setting it up also.

Lol, I couldn't figure out how to do it for the 3D vid. Oh well.

Yeah, I ran it as Admin XP SP3 mode but couldn't get it to activate with hotkeys or making it always on.

Maybe ATI will have stereo built into a future driver release. (Has been mentioned)

I think the res is going to be even worse than you think:

# Twin high-resolution 852 x 480 LCD displays

# Supports display resolutions of up to 1280 x 768

Sounds like resolutions up to 1280x768 are downsampled to 852x480.

Yeah, I ran it as Admin XP SP3 mode but couldn't get it to activate with hotkeys or making it always on.

Maybe ATI will have stereo built into a future driver release. (Has been mentioned)

I think you have to add -winxp as startup parameter in your shortcut.

That's how I finally got it to work!

Hope it helps!

Dmarkwick did you enjoy the video i posted so much you had to re post it 2 comments later and take credit for it? lmfao.